General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Garzilla

Totally buying this game on launch day. Picked up a MS 360 wheel two weeks back in preparation. It's not the best wheel I've ever felt, but it does the trick. I wish the Fanatec's were in stock/a little more reasonable. Enjoyed the hell out of the demo.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Bill

Negative impressions from another thread to follow, don't let me rain on parades.
 Forza 3 is pretty much Forza 2 with the rewind button shamelessly stolen from GRID. Except you can rewind as much as you want, there are no limits. I played through to the A class of cars (6 tiers unlocked) before realizing that I had already done this once before.
Same tracks (I'll let this slide,) same three-tier upgrades, same car classes, slightly different car lineup, but nothing really substantially different other than the rewind button that guarantees you never lose.
Oh yeah, and there is content that is locked unless you pay an extra $20, awesome. I've already found a Ferrari, a Porsche, adn a Lambo that are "VIP Members Only."
If I actually paid for it would have been pissed. Its nearly identical. Maybe the big overhaul was in graphics, I couldn't tell you, generally you're not ogling at the scenery in "sim" racers.
I just deleted the Forza install (painfully long load times.. every time you start a race you literally get two separate loading screens it takes so long) and put Borderlands back on. I have more fun sucking at Borderlands and knowing that every hour I spend playing it is an hour that will be lost by Monday.
(For the record, I own a G25 and most racing games pretty much make me hard.) 

Slash
DoucheBagalo

That's disappointing.

Is the 'story mode' at least a little more exciting this time or is it pretty similar to Forza 2? That's the biggest problem I have with sim racing games- the complete inability to make a season/story mode compelling. It's always just "do this 3 track cup with this kind of car"... shit gets old after a while and once I have a few decent cars, the desire to continue on is lost.

Bill

Yep. "Lotus Series," "Hatchbacks," "Naturally Aspirated," "Mustang vs. Camaro" etc. You do three or four consecutive races for a single category, then you get to do one "season" race, which is limited only by car class. Man let me tell you, doing three oval tracks in a row in Japanese cars sure is engaging. /snore. Just stay in 6th gear the entire time, literally, and nudge the stick a bit to the side. This game is getting rave reviews. Seriously guys..?

So essentially its something like four "Class D" car races with three or four "this category only" in between each one. And that was story mode for as long as I played.

edit: In fairness, you get to pick one of three "restricted" series to do 3-4 races of. They're broken down into "New Tracks," "My Current Car," and "New Car." So I guess you get to kind of pick what you want between the season races. You're still forced to do a couple of whatever you picked on whatever type of track it decides. (Ovals wtf.)

Mixomatosys
Cool Kid

i love the game.

i loved forza 2 however.

i've only done one series that was all oval tracks, the rest have been great. i dunno what you guys are expecting from a racing game?

Ralph

You already have to pay extra $$$ for more cars after paying $60 for the game? Rofl... downloadable content was fine when they did it for games that were 1 year+ old, but holding shit back from the release version just to charge for it is fucking niggardly.

Rob_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
You already have to pay extra $$$ for more cars after paying $60 for the game? Rofl... downloadable content was fine when they did it for games that were 1 year+ old, but holding shit back from the release version just to charge for it is fucking niggardly.
Not to mention that they are also five of the most desirable cars in the game. Just simply locked out of arms grasp.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Yeah, get used to that shit...EA does it in every single one of their games racing or otherwise. Now that we're in the age of consoles being online...we get buggy/incomplete games that are patched months later and you have to pay extra for the full game.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_ View Post
Not to mention that they are also five of the most desirable cars in the game.

Basically.

They could have done classic cars, or F1 cars or something more obscure, but no, lets lock out the big name super cars

2009 Aston Martin DBS
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
2007 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (997)

BigFuzzyArchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxley View Post
LOL that is hilarious, you quote a post completely insulting people who make minute arguments for not buying something and then continue to make a minute argument about why you would have bought the game except this one minor point, good work!

you would be right if the racing wheel thing wasn't a big issue. racing with a controller is garbage and a waste of time

i understand what you mean though, but it made me think about real reasons for not getting the game besides the fact I dont buy 360 games anymore.

Last edited by BigFuzzyArchon; 10-23-2009 at 04:42 PM..

chuckybob
Mario raped Peach in her fuzzy spot while twisting and twirling his mustache sexylike

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Yeah, get used to that shit...EA does it in every single one of their games racing or otherwise. Now that we're in the age of consoles being online...we get buggy/incomplete games that are patched months later and you have to pay extra for the full game.

at this point, console users might as well buy a PC instead... at least then you get community patches.

Bill

When I had Gold, a lot of the Forza 2 top track times were with a gamepad. I don't know if it has changed since then, but I'd say 60% of the top times were gamepads, and the top10s were littered with them when a wheel was #1. I wonder how it is now?

These games are designed for gamepads. The tiny tiny minority will buy a wheel.

huxley
Don't respond to me, I can't read your posts :(

Ok back to the game itself. I am very interested in buying this however I need an answer to one question. Are there the same terrible amount of tracks that are in Forza 2? I felt like Forza 2 had a half dozen to a dozen tracks and all the rest of the tracks were the same dozen only reversed. Even Gran Turismo on the playstation 1 had dozens upon dozens upon dozens of tracks. If this has the same low track limit I truly have no interest in buying it no matter how good it is.

Bill

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forza+3+track+list

I'm guessing a lot/most/all of the tracks are real life recreations. I was typing out descriptions of them all but here I'll make this easy for you: 90% of the tracks I've played in Forza 3 I remember playing in Forza 2. They're identical. They didn't even change the "autumn" theme track, with the starting line on the straighaway at the bottom of a hill filled with trees etc. NYC loop with seemingly arbitrary obstacles. They're all there, and you get to play them again. And again. Its not something that bothers me, in fact I enjoy kind of knowing whats coming up, and after eleventy racing games I can finally handle that nasty turn on Laguna Seca. If you're looking for variety you're probably better off with NFSor Grid or one of the more arcadey ones that don't bother licensing big track names. Or whatever they do. They seem to have "hand made" tracks. (Which I also enjoy.)

I don't know how many tracks are new but I haven't seen many myself. Played some more this morning, I have four sets of 3-4 races in between 5 "season" class A races. So thats what, 21 races I have to do before I can move my season on to S (super cars, lambos, ferarris, etc.) After outfitting a class A of my choice (Murcielago ) I'm out of cash and I'll be stuck driving that (or more boring cars) for at least ten tracks before I can afford an S car+accessories.

So I turned it off and put Borderlands back in and blew some shit up.

huxley
Don't respond to me, I can't read your posts :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forza+3+track+list

I'm guessing a lot/most/all of the tracks are real life recreations. I was typing out descriptions of them all but here I'll make this easy for you: 90% of the tracks I've played in Forza 3 I remember playing in Forza 2. They're identical. They didn't even change the "autumn" theme track, with the starting line on the straighaway at the bottom of a hill filled with trees etc. NYC loop with seemingly arbitrary obstacles. They're all there, and you get to play them again. And again. Its not something that bothers me, in fact I enjoy kind of knowing whats coming up, and after eleventy racing games I can finally handle that nasty turn on Laguna Seca.

I don't know how many tracks are new but I haven't seen many myself. Played some more this morning, I have four sets of 3-4 races in between 5 "season" class A races. So thats what, 21 races I have to do before I can move my season on to S (super cars, lambos, ferarris, etc.) I turned it off and put Borderlands back in and blew some shit up.
That sucks, they just lost my sale. I cant believe they are using the same tracks. I havent played forza 2 in over a year but I know exactly what track you refer to as I have raced it dozens of times. This game may be the best racing game out there but the one thing Gran Turismo is going to have over this is the same or better car collection and a huge collection of courses. Who wants to do the same thing over and over again even if your car is different? Thats like replaying the same stages in an fps over and over with only a better character.