General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

tron119

Ranger replacement

I remember reading something a while back about Ford coming out with something new F100 or something like that to compete with the Tacoma. Everything I googled seems contradicting is there anything concrete yet.

'm buyin a place about an hour round trip highway from where I work and the current trucks got a little to much lift and tire for that much time on the highway I was thinking a new ranger would be a little more economical.

I'd hate to buy one and have something better come out a few months later.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Ryuuko

The last article I read about the new Ranger comming out...it not being brought to the US.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/09...rd-ranger.html

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisterDick View Post

Is that a european ridgeline or something

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Is that a european ridgeline or something

dunno, ask your dad... i saw a video of him on a gay-hate youtube channel driving something similar leaving Urban Mo's in Sandy Eggo

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisterDick View Post
dunno, ask your dad... i saw a video of him on a gay-hate youtube channel driving something similar leaving Urban Mo's in Sandy Eggo

lol umm what

jaredballer

I read somewhere the plan is to offer the F-150 in an EcoBoost 4 Cylinder configuration with reduction in weight etc. to make it a "economical" full-size as opposed to developing a whole new platform

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredballer View Post
a "economical" full-size

That's an oxymoron....

Not looking forward to being stuck behind these

d114

It's about time. The US rangers suck compared to the global rangers.

Really, they do. the US rangers are geared towards american consumerism - the global rangers are geared for people who actually need a truck to do work with.

Thermo1223

Quote:
That's an oxymoron....

Not looking forward to being stuck behind these

Well think about it. They certainly cannot be any slower than 4 cyl Rangers or Tacomas already were

2.7l in a Tacoma was by no means fast but it could get out of it's own way with the off idle tq it had. The upper revs were the big weak spot.

2.7l still only makes a tad above 150hp. The Tacoma is about 1200 lbs less.

The. 2.0 eco makes 240hp when not strung out too much. That be enough I bet but for better off idle tq they should probably up the displacement to around 2.4l. So more tq and keep the hp the same. If you get it close to 300 then there is no point to the 4 cyl and you should just buy the non-turbo V6.

I would think another 100 hp and more tq could easily move around another 1200 lbs. or less if they cut weight. No high boost either so it can run regular gas reliably.

We'll see...
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
Well think about it. They certainly cannot be any slower than 4 cyl Rangers or Tacomas already were

2.7l in a Tacoma was by no means fast but it could get out of it's own way with the off idle tq it had. The upper revs were the big weak spot.

2.7l still only makes a tad above 150hp. The Tacoma is about 1200 lbs less.

The. 2.0 eco makes 240hp when not strung out too much. That be enough I bet but for better off idle tq they should probably up the displacement to around 2.4l. So more tq and keep the hp the same. If you get it close to 300 then there is no point to the 4 cyl and you should just buy the non-turbo V6.

I would think another 100 hp and more tq could easily move around another 1200 lbs. or less if they cut weight. No high boost either so it can run regular gas reliably.

We'll see...

So Ford is following the Japanese 80s/90s strategy of making an efficient truck that has what you need and lacks what you don't compared to the traditional US truck marketting where unless you have half a dozen liters you're a faqqot

Personally, if i drove around with an empty bed like everyone else around here I wouldn't give a shit if it was full sized or not.... Put that 2.0 eco into a compact chassis and that sounds a lot cooler.

jaredballer

Quote:
So Ford is following the Japanese 80s/90s strategy of making an efficient truck that has what you need and lacks what you don't compared to the traditional US truck marketting where unless you have half a dozen liters you're a faqqot

Personally, if i drove around with an empty bed like everyone else around here I wouldn't give a shit if it was full sized or not.... Put that 2.0 eco into a compact chassis and that sounds a lot cooler.

i love trucks, but almost every truck you see doesn't get used like a truck...ever. Of my friends that own trucks, I can think of 2 people out of many that actually works on a farm and uses their trucks for hauling hay, etc.

Would be smart to put a truck out that for light duties that most people need. I highly doubt the average american needs a F-250 to move a chest once in a while and haul groceries.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredballer View Post
i love trucks, but almost every truck you see doesn't get used like a truck...ever. Of my friends that own trucks, I can think of 2 people out of many that actually works on a farm and uses their trucks for hauling hay, etc.

Would be smart to put a truck out that for light duties that most people need. I highly doubt the average american needs a F-250 to move a chest once in a while and haul groceries.

I was such a sad panda when the rumors started flooding about killing the light duty diesel in the fullsizes.

Exactly true, my wife's dad could have easily used a full sized truck but he stuck with a small 4cyl because of fuel. Had a Nissan Hardbody first and then went to a Tacoma when they changed the name from just "pickup". We loaded that damn thing with 4,000 lbs and it just asked for more as long as you could steer it No reason to get a bigger truck because never really towed anything.

As much as I love big trucks like you I could never own a fullsize for those exact reasons. The shitty fuel economy just doesn't cut it and why buy full if I could do it with a compact or mid. I never haul more than a 1500 lbs if that. I borrow my Aunt's Dodge 3500's if I need a real bed for some reason. Overkill but that's all she buys because of towing but hey who doesn't love a cummins engine?

People always gave me WTF looks in town for some reason when I drove it. I guess I look to small for such a monster
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Definitely agree that full size trucks CAN be mis-purchased...

Friend of mine works construction. Maybe construction workers NEED badass huge trucks to assert their manhood or something... He financed a fully loaded 6sp ( ) F350 diesel a couple of years ago... He's still paying it off, and basically can't afford to:

a.) leave the house and stop playing WoW during his off-hours
b.) socialize and meet up with friends after work hours because we're like 20 miles away and diesel is expensive
c.) buy lunch without saving HALF of his lunch for dinner that night

His life would be so much easier and enjoyable had he purchased a more sensible truck. I can't say whether he ever actually hauls anything that requires this much muscle, but I have my doubts.

gribly

The Ranger is done, they are making the last ones in November and closing the plant. There has been no real evidence of an F-100, it's still a rumor - and at least a few years away.

d114 - the US Ranger and the Global Ranger were fairly close - the global had the advantage due to having more engine options including a 3.0 turbo diesel and a quad cab option. There is now a NEW Global Ranger, the Ranger T6, but it's actually a lot larger than the Ranger. The Ranger is actually the best small truck to use as a work truck - strongest axles, strongest transfer, most serviceable and most reliable. There's a reason they've been using the same basic design since 1983. They might be a bit plain, a bit boring, but they do what they are supposed to do.