General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Photography and I[M]aging
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

Kayaking Caddo Lake, East Texas

Bought a kayak a couple months ago to help cope with an upcoming divorce. Went on a kayaking/camping trip to Caddo Lake in East Texas. Couple from the trip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Love Caddo lake, it's been nearly 20 years since I've been down there. Is that last pic stars? I really need to get out of the city occasionally so I can see the sky.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Love Caddo lake, it's been nearly 20 years since I've been down there. Is that last pic stars? I really need to get out of the city occasionally so I can see the sky.

Yeah...that was my first time there. Was F'ing amazing. The stars were my view from our campground at Caddo. Don't get to see the Milky Way in Dallas. That was the 2nd or 3rd best dark sky i've ever seen. Death Valley being the best. Dont' know if Caddo's sky was better than Upstate New Yorks...but its close. Think Upstate New York was a little better.

The sky was so packed with stars at Caddo that we had a very hard time making out constellations. I kid you not, I couldn't locate the big dipper. When there are that many, and they are packed so tightly together, common patterns that you usually recognize are lost. Blew me away.

Also note the smudge at the top. Thats a fucking galaxy!!!

Also...the star trail picture is an hour long exposure if anybody is interested. I sat there and painted the tree's with a little flash light periodically throughout the exposure. Otherwise, they would have just been black.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Yeah, I'd love to take my Nexus 7 loaded up with Starchart (it tells you where constellations are and even does an overlay so you can see the animal shapes and such) down there during one of the meteor showers..

Did you see any gators on the banks or peeking up from the water?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Yeah, I'd love to take my Nexus 7 loaded up with Starchart (it tells you where constellations are and even does an overlay so you can see the animal shapes and such) down there during one of the meteor showers..

Did you see any gators on the banks or peeking up from the water?

No...i never saw any, and we looked. Didn't see any nests or anything. However, another photographer friend was up there the same weekend as us and went on a air boat tour....he saw a lot of gaters.

The horsefly's though. The fucking horseflies. Fuck those things!!! Never got bit by one, but they sure as fuck liked my bright green kayak.

Typhoon43

Absolutely gorgeous man. I was sooo going to call you out on the long exposure one. I was like "NO FUCKING WAY YOU DID THAT ON FLOATING KAYAK!", so thanks for the explanation. I've done Death Valley at night (Balarat), and omg you can see so much more of the Universe at night. Keep up the killer shots man.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Absolutely gorgeous man. I was sooo going to call you out on the long exposure one. I was like "NO FUCKING WAY YOU DID THAT ON FLOATING KAYAK!", so thanks for the explanation. I've done Death Valley at night (Balarat), and omg you can see so much more of the Universe at night. Keep up the killer shots man.

http://imgur.com/a/hQtrH

Thanks...i appreciate it. Here are snapshots from the kayak. Mostly cell phone pics. Note how i carried my camera in one of the pictures. Not the wisest thing i've ever done . Bought a pelican case that i thought was small enough to keep between my legs and still have access. I was wrong. Too hard to get camera in and out of, so i just rested camera on top between my legs and prayed i didn't flip kayak over. I think i'm going to put some cleets ont he boat, and a net across the top where i can keep the pelican case and have access to it and still keep it closed and water tight. Would just need to tether it to kayak so it doesn't sink to bottom of lake if i do dump the boat.

Water proof cases don't do you any good if its sitting comfortably at the bottom of a lake where you can't get it.

Last edited by J Mel; 11-20-2015 at 03:04 PM..