General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat989 View Post
there's a few enviro nazis with that line of thinking: "Even if the science is wrong, we still need to _________ anyways, so what's the harm if it makes people __________?"

If that's the case then be honest about it, or at least admit the uncertainties of your science. Whether government, corporations, media, or powerful groups feel like they have to lie (or at least conceal the entire truth) in order to get people to do what they want, it is ALWAYS nefarious to some degree or another.

His point is that increased CO2 levels are harmful to the ocean ecosystem even if it doesn't cause warming. This is true, there's really no way to avoid it. Even if AGW is 100% false, we still need to address the CO2 issue in a meaningful way.

And regarding the rest of your post, the more removed you are from the source, the more distorted your information is going to get. This is especially true for complex scientific issues with political overtones. It is somewhat, uh, interesting that the only people here who read actual journals buy into AGW and the people who don't get their science info from blogs and online opinion pieces.

Last edited by Gibonius; 09-13-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
His point is that increased CO2 levels are harmful to the ocean ecosystem even if it doesn't cause warming. This is true, there's really no way to avoid it. Even if AGW is 100% false, we still need to address the CO2 issue in a meaningful way.

And regarding the rest of your post, the more removed you are from the source, the more distorted your information is going to get. This is especially true for complex scientific issues with political overtones. It is somewhat, uh, interesting that the only people here who read actual journals buy into AGW and the people who don't get their science info from blogs and online opinion pieces.

And from the emails of those people in control of who gets published on how they are going to thwart the peer review process.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
Apparently you do:

We've all read those out of context emails a million times (and so have independent investigators that actually *have* the context). You don't have to re-post them as if they SUDDENLY disprove the fact that the earth is warming (which includes the ocean, by the way - you'll recall you were never able to explain away ocean warming, opting instead to pretend I had never brought it up) and that human-induced CO2 is contributing to the warming.
Funny you should mention "out of context" quotes and excerpts.....I'd be willing to bet large sums of my own money that you are a fan of "An Inconvenient Truth", "Loose Change" and every movie Michael Moore has ever made.

Not trying to get back into this clusterfuck debate...just pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
And from the emails of those people in control of who gets published on how they are going to thwart the peer review process.

You know the IPCC isn't a peer-reviewed journal, right? Those CRU guys don't control shit at any of the major journals.

TheMorlock

:facepalm:

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
:facepalm:

You do realize that the quote you keep posting has nothing to do with papers getting accepted in journals, right?

Maybe you don't know that.

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
Funny you should mention "out of context" quotes and excerpts.....I'd be willing to bet large sums of my own money that you are a fan of "An Inconvenient Truth", "Loose Change" and every movie Michael Moore has ever made.

Not trying to get back into this clusterfuck debate...just pointing out hypocrisy when I see it.

Now THAT'S an interesting strawman.

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
Now THAT'S an interesting strawman.

He invents something out of whole cloth, then uses it to accuse you of hypocrisy. Truly excellent forum skills.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

So, you don't deny that context is irrelevant when it serves your purpose, yet becomes all important when it doesn't. After all, sometimes it takes sound bites and snippets to get your point across to people who are too stupid to understand otherwise...AMIRITE?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

wall candy eating retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
So, you don't deny that context is irrelevant when it serves your purpose, yet becomes all important when it doesn't. After all, sometimes it takes sound bites and snippets to get your point across to people who are too stupid to understand otherwise...AMIRITE?

Let me get this straight...I point out your strawman (e.g.: you saying I like those shit movies then attacking me for what you just said I liked) but you interpret that to mean that I DO support the out of context in those ridiculous movies? Could you be any more of an idiot/intentional liar?

Let me break it down for you again:

1) You say I like 'Loose Change', etc.

2) You then use 1) to argue against me

3) I inform you of the strawman you created

4) You think 3) means I really DO like 'Loose Change', etc.

5) You then use ANOTHER strawman to call me a hypocrite.

6) ??????

7) Profit?

OH RLY?

TheMorlock: "Any atmosphere will trap heat. the CO2 in Venus's atmosphere is a RESULT of the high temps"

Ahahahahaha

imzjustplayin

and here I thought only farmers could come up with straw man arguments..

TheMorlock

wall candy eating retard

Do you actually believe anything that gets posted on those sites? Seriously.

EDIT: LOL, those were 'published' in January. Yet again you dazzle us with just how behind the times you are. What's next, are you going to post that single 'global cooling' Newsweek article from the 1970s that misrepresented a single scientists opinion on the future of our climate?

OH RLY?

Ahahahahaha

Last edited by Fuckyouformakingmeregister; 09-18-2010 at 10:12 AM..

TheMorlock

are you a fucking idiot? Oh go ahead and plead the fifth.

Ball is an eminent climate reconstruction scientist IIRC. You know, practically developed the field. Won nice awards for it.

ZOMG published in January!!! I forgot that exposed corruption and exposed fake science had expiration dates.

God you warmists are pathetic

Last edited by TheMorlock; 09-18-2010 at 11:23 AM..

Gibonius

Blog posts are well known for being more reliable and accurate than peer reviewed journals. I rely on them for all my science news. They're great, you can always find one that agrees with you!