General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Bone Closet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

I LOVE COCK
jakez0r
a delicious plate of belgian waffles

her parents must be really strict

Just take it one day at a time and see what happens. If you ask me though, her parents should lighten up.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Morris
the cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky555
ours did too. the band starts meeting way before school starts (3-4 wks?) and practices for 5hrs/day for that time. There were practices every day in school, and some days after school. in addition to the football games, the band played in a number of band shows throughout the state. it's not just a mental work type thing, either. i played tuba, and it was a pretty serious physical workout. it may seem stupid, but many people considered band to be their sport, and the letters seemed appropriate. i got one, but never actually got a letter jacket because "BAND" didn't seem like something I wanted to announce on a jacket, but some people did.
Our band follows pretty much the same schedule. It is pretty serious if you don't show up. Our lead flute player (flute isn't that big of a deal in a marching band) blew off one of the games and went to a concert. Our band director was flipping out because he didn't think she would just not come, so he was scared about what had happened to her. He was calling her house not to try and get her in trouble, but to find out where she was. Band is kind of like a family for us. Are you sure that's not the case? They'll prolly come around and give her the letter.

On a side note, I have "Jazz band", "Band" and "Music Express" (Show choir that I play drums for) on my coat, and I wear it with pride. Music is my sport. Just like people wear "Football, Wrestling" on their coat, I wear "Jazz band, Band" on mine.

Kharn

jazz bands are possibly the coolest band ever :d
Im principle trumpet in mine, but we're in scotland so we don't get letters.

Anyway, this thing will blow over and people will forget, try not to let it harm you too much

bthorton
The check engine light when you ECU (cars computer) sets a trouble code. It's no hoax, just because

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky555
ours did too. the band starts meeting way before school starts (3-4 wks?) and practices for 5hrs/day for that time. There were practices every day in school, and some days after school. in addition to the football games, the band played in a number of band shows throughout the state. it's not just a mental work type thing, either. i played tuba, and it was a pretty serious physical workout. it may seem stupid, but many people considered band to be their sport, and the letters seemed appropriate. i got one, but never actually got a letter jacket because "BAND" didn't seem like something I wanted to announce on a jacket, but some people did.
hey im not saying you guys dont work. that's what everyone assumes when i say things like band dont deserve a varsity letter. i just don't think that you deserve a varsity letter just because you're in an activity that requires a lot of effort.

only sports should get varsity letters- and i mean real sports. for instance, i run cross country, and we have varsity letters, but i DONT think we should have a letter. likewise, other non-sports shouldnt have them- diving, gymnastics, band, etc.

and its nothing personal against band or any other activity; its just one of my pet peeves.

RedTalon19

Quote:
Originally posted by Kharn
jazz bands are possibly the coolest band ever :d
Im principle trumpet in mine, but we're in scotland so we don't get letters.

Anyway, this thing will blow over and people will forget, try not to let it harm you too much
hell fucking yes. i was in jazz band in all 4 years of high school and so far my 2 years in collgeg. we get to do so much shit and meet so many famous people its amazing. hell i got to talk to david liebman and phil woods at the same time, i mean common man thats just fantastic.

btw, they are the 2 greatest jazz sax players still living imo.

eidolon

Her parents ==

McDeth

Quote:
Originally posted by bthorton
hey im not saying you guys dont work. that's what everyone assumes when i say things like band dont deserve a varsity letter. i just don't think that you deserve a varsity letter just because you're in an activity that requires a lot of effort.

only sports should get varsity letters- and i mean real sports. for instance, i run cross country, and we have varsity letters, but i DONT think we should have a letter. likewise, other non-sports shouldnt have them- diving, gymnastics, band, etc.

and its nothing personal against band or any other activity; its just one of my pet peeves.
Personally, I think it takes more coordination and talent to play the clarinet or trumpet in marching band then it does running around and catching a football

Schitzo

Quote:
Originally posted by McDeth
Personally, I think it takes more coordination and talent to play the clarinet or trumpet in marching band then it does running around and catching a football
Come back when they introduce tackling into the band program and we'll talk

McDeth

So getting a letter for your jacket requires you play a "tackle" sport? Or "sport" period? I put sports in quotes because if you think Marching Band doesn't qualify as a sport then you've obviously never been in Marching Band...

four°

Whats a varsity letter? I dont get that part. (I dont live in the US etc)

I dont get your decision to not go... sounds like this letter thing is important.

I **really* dont get your decision to pick up the phone.

bthorton
The check engine light when you ECU (cars computer) sets a trouble code. It's no hoax, just because

Quote:
Originally posted by McDeth
personally, i think you don't know what you're talking about.

anyone can join marching band and be fairly good. not anyone can join football and be fairly good. football is a hundred times more intense and requires a hundred times more coordination and talent than any form of band ever will. that's why anyone can join band.

Skier

Quote:

anyone can join marching band and be fairly good. not anyone can join football and be fairly good. football is a hundred times more intense and requires a hundred times more coordination and talent than any form of band ever will. that's why anyone can join band.
No, not everyone can just appear at a practice and be fairly good in band. However you got this impression, get rid of it, pronto. Band is a different kind of activity then football, true, but there are a lot of things in common.

Not everyone is a star player with skills far above everyone else. If you suck, people will notice. Regardless of skill level, you have to practice. The more you practice, the better you get.

Understanding yet? If not, try joining the band. Once you acquire enough experience to realize it's not a cakewalk to go out on a field with millions of people watching you (like I did at Rose Bowl last year), you can post on this topic again.

Thank you, please drive through.

(For what it's worth, I'm a sophomore WSU sousaphone player)

McDeth

Quote:

lolerskates. You obviously know not of what you speak. The only reason you get this impression is because most high school bands exist simply for the purpose of an "easy A." Join any REAL band, and you will see just how wrong you are.

Google "Concord Blue Devils" and watch some vidoes, then tell me that doesn't require more coordination then football....

bobcat

are they the black school?

lopoetve

Junior Sousaphone @ CU Boulder here. Band is hard. Incredibly so.

As for not attending... bad idea. People know (as it's been said), and it IS family.

We had someone DRIVE THEMSELVES, in a RENTED CAR, over 600 miles to make it to an away game, just because they overslept and missed the bus. He drove the entire way. It's a big deal. You can't adjust it on the fly. It takes work.

Thread Starter: You made a BAD mistake... Apologize big time... and hope for the best
2007 GTI
1997 Truck thingy.