General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

thrawn

45 or 9mm

i'm trying to decide between a 45 or 9mm for concealed carry and also to goof around with. i'm not too concerned with up front cost, more so with the cost of rounds. so i guess i have two questions, any recommendations on the pistol and where do you guys buy rounds?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DoubleJ
i make wiggles happy on the inside and horny on the outside

Had both, love both. As a personal choice, I'd only go with a .45 for concealed carry if you could find a decent capacity single stack magazine. Double stack magazine in .45 is a bit too wide on my hip. I also like to have a gun my wife can shoot. She has small hands and a double stack .45 is too wide for her. Trouble is, finding a single stack .45 that carries more than 8 rounds. I get 16 rounds in my 9mm.

So, in short, per myself as the reference, any 9mm or a single stack .45 for concealed carry.

Typhoon43

Is there a particular reason you're staying away from .40? I owned a few compact glocks in .45 and as DoubleJ said they side stacked for capacity and just felt weird to carry. The single stacks hold 6+1 and I wanted more capacity. That's where the .40 shined. I've shot so much 9 at the range and it's funny how much less power they have than the .40 IMO.

Caelum

Just for cost of rounds, I'd go with 9mm without a doubt. I reload 45 and the cost of 1000 .45 bullets is very near the cost of 1000 9mm complete rounds.

I have a mp45 as my main pistol and cant shoot it simply because the cost is very prohibitive. The new Walther PPQ in 9mm will be my next purchase.

I dont regret going with 45 because now I have one... But when I go to the range and dont feel like shooting more than a single magazine of 45, THEN I regret it. But if I had gotten an mp9 then I could shoot all day with no problem.

For the gun itself, I love the M&P family. Its very good out of the box and has some real good after market mods made by APEX that just make it better and better. The tang is real high so you can really get behind the bore to help balance it (unlike the XD family that the bore is like a mile over your wrist)

A friend of mine has a Springfield Operator and he likes it. I'm not a huge fan but that trigger is pretty magnificent. He conceals it every day IWB. I mean, its a 1911 so its very slim, but it does only have an 8 round mag.

And you cant really go wrong with Glocks. If you can get past the weird grip angle, they really are good, reliable consistent guns.

Try and rent some if you can.
I bought the M&P sight unseen and wasn't disappointed.

And the 40 is a good round but its not as cheap as 9mm...is it? I havent really looked since I sold mine a few years ago

thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon43 View Post
Is there a particular reason you're staying away from .40? I owned a few compact glocks in .45 and as DoubleJ said they side stacked for capacity and just felt weird to carry. The single stacks hold 6+1 and I wanted more capacity. That's where the .40 shined. I've shot so much 9 at the range and it's funny how much less power they have than the .40 IMO.

mostly for the stopping power. i'd also be carrying it in WV on the property and they've been seeing bears. but i'm not opposed to .40

thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
Just for cost of rounds, I'd go with 9mm without a doubt. I reload 45 and the cost of 1000 .45 bullets is very near the cost of 1000 9mm complete rounds.

I have a mp45 as my main pistol and cant shoot it simply because the cost is very prohibitive. The new Walther PPQ in 9mm will be my next purchase.

I dont regret going with 45 because now I have one... But when I go to the range and dont feel like shooting more than a single magazine of 45, THEN I regret it. But if I had gotten an mp9 then I could shoot all day with no problem.

For the gun itself, I love the M&P family. Its very good out of the box and has some real good after market mods made by APEX that just make it better and better. The tang is real high so you can really get behind the bore to help balance it (unlike the XD family that the bore is like a mile over your wrist)

A friend of mine has a Springfield Operator and he likes it. I'm not a huge fan but that trigger is pretty magnificent. He conceals it every day IWB. I mean, its a 1911 so its very slim, but it does only have an 8 round mag.

And you cant really go wrong with Glocks. If you can get past the weird grip angle, they really are good, reliable consistent guns.

Try and rent some if you can.
I bought the M&P sight unseen and wasn't disappointed.

And the 40 is a good round but its not as cheap as 9mm...is it? I havent really looked since I sold mine a few years ago

i've heard the same about the glock grip. in any event, that's what i was leaning toward. i've shot all that have been mentioned but it's been a while since i shot the glock. no need to rent one, just need to ask someone in the family to borrow. between uncle, grandpa, cousins etc. i could use any of the above.

there's a gun show in a few weeks here in cleveland. i was going to buy there so i do have a bit of time to make up my mind.

thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
Had both, love both. As a personal choice, I'd only go with a .45 for concealed carry if you could find a decent capacity single stack magazine. Double stack magazine in .45 is a bit too wide on my hip. I also like to have a gun my wife can shoot. She has small hands and a double stack .45 is too wide for her. Trouble is, finding a single stack .45 that carries more than 8 rounds. I get 16 rounds in my 9mm.

So, in short, per myself as the reference, any 9mm or a single stack .45 for concealed carry.

thanks!

DarkHelmet
BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD BIGHEAD

I hate to say it in the gun forum, but against bears, even a .45 will need a good shot placement to stop one. You're really better off with bear mace. It will stop a bear in it's tracks and make him run off immediately. The bonus is it makes him fear man, and you're not having to kill the bear for being a bear.

Caelum

Yeah I wanted to comment again but when he threw the bear in there... that's a game changer

How about a 300 blackout ar pistol for that

But for normal carry...

thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet View Post
I hate to say it in the gun forum, but against bears, even a .45 will need a good shot placement to stop one. You're really better off with bear mace. It will stop a bear in it's tracks and make him run off immediately. The bonus is it makes him fear man, and you're not having to kill the bear for being a bear.

dont apologize, i was asking for suggestions. i wouldnt shoot a bear just because but having a decent pistol as a last resort would be nice.

thrawn

Quote:
Yeah I wanted to comment again but when he threw the bear in there... that's a game changer

How about a 300 blackout ar pistol for that

But for normal carry...

i'm only there a couple times a year. this would mainly be for normal carry.

Caelum

Well, since you mentioned in your original post cost of rounds I'll just come back to that

from ammoman.com (I didnt look real hard I'm sure there are better prices on both)

.45 230gr
$329- 1,000 Rounds

9mm 115gr
$189- 1,000 rounds

And for argument
.40 180gr
$285- 1,000 rounds

IMO 9mm wins
Less recoil
Cheaper gun (in the m&p world anyway)
Cheaper ammo (which would lead to higher proficiency)

This is coming from a man who only has a .45

thrawn

Quote:
Well, since you mentioned in your original post cost of rounds I'll just come back to that

from ammoman.com (I didnt look real hard I'm sure there are better prices on both)

.45 230gr
$329- 1,000 Rounds

9mm 115gr
$189- 1,000 rounds

And for argument
.40 180gr
$285- 1,000 rounds

IMO 9mm wins
Less recoil
Cheaper gun (in the m&p world anyway)
Cheaper ammo (which would lead to higher proficiency)

This is coming from a man who only has a .45

thanks. my brother told me he bought from gunbroker.com. i was looking for a few other sites to compare. i'll check it out.

Caelum

There are a LOT of ammo shops on the internet. Maybe not as many as computer shops, but still...a lot

thrawn

that's why once in a while i want an opinion from other people. i can google just as easily as the next guy, i appreciate the suggestion.