General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Forrest
I am in serous need of a renovated title.. It's like 2 years old. It would make me and my family ver
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender17 View Post
what's a good site if I just want to learn how to play?
no interest in gambling real money

www.pokerstars.net

biggest play money site.
__________________
sLeDnEcKs
Old 04-30-2007, 01:47 PM Forrest is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

yolo
 
I played a LOT for about 3 years, in the end, I ended up spending my bankroll over time, so I quit. I could change that but I'm too busy with school and the Coast Guard to do so.

I also know several professionals, and one in particular is approaching a $1M bankroll. The lowest limits take militant ABC poker to win, and a lot of patience. The higher limits take all that, reading skills, experience, and a complete disregard for money to be successful.

If you're the type of guy to get disturbed over any 1 hand, then do not play poker. It's a long term game. A pro I know who is a therapist, has played for at least 15+ years. He'll tell you winning poker is very boring. You spend 90% of your time waiting for good hands, and even then, they might only win 60-80% of the time. This means you're still losing even when you're making good decisions, but over time, your wins may accrue if you're good.

Go into a casino's poker room, and I guarantee most of that room is delusional about how good they are. My advice, make it a hobby. Don't try to go professional until you're staring at $100,000 in your bank account
__________________
USCG 2005-2009
Old 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM yolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

trashcanJesus
pwned
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo View Post
I played a LOT for about 3 years, in the end, I ended up spending my bankroll over time, so I quit. I could change that but I'm too busy with school and the Coast Guard to do so.

I also know several professionals, and one in particular is approaching a $1M bankroll. The lowest limits take militant ABC poker to win, and a lot of patience. The higher limits take all that, reading skills, experience, and a complete disregard for money to be successful.

If you're the type of guy to get disturbed over any 1 hand, then do not play poker. It's a long term game. A pro I know who is a therapist, has played for at least 15+ years. He'll tell you winning poker is very boring. You spend 90% of your time waiting for good hands, and even then, they might only win 60-80% of the time. This means you're still losing even when you're making good decisions, but over time, your wins may accrue if you're good.

Go into a casino's poker room, and I guarantee most of that room is delusional about how good they are. My advice, make it a hobby. Don't try to go professional until you're staring at $100,000 in your bank account

this man speaks the truth
Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM trashcanJesus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

beavens
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender17 View Post
what's a good site if I just want to learn how to play?
no interest in gambling real money

you wont learn how to play if you are playing for playmoney.
__________________
"oh.. why don't i just take a whizz through this five thousand dollar suit.. COME ON!"

-GOB
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM beavens is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

JALbert
 
JALbert's Avatar
 
Amazing amount of actual good advice in a poker thread.
__________________
2001 Midnight Metallic Volvo S40 1.9T
TME Stage 3 Tuning/Eibach Springs
Old 04-30-2007, 04:28 PM JALbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

ut4ever
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavens View Post
you wont learn how to play if you are playing for playmoney.

QFT. If people are playing for nothing, you'll have too many people not care at what they are doing and just throw chips everywhere. Hell, even the $5-$10 sit 'n gos and tourneys online are the same. And listen to yolo, he speaks the truth.

Edit: If you really want to learn the game, go to some local events. Many bars will have free tournaments you can play (atleast in this area), and most of the people there will play seriously. Or find some friends that play.

Last edited by ut4ever; 04-30-2007 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-30-2007, 04:31 PM ut4ever is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

HeLLFiRe
 
HeLLFiRe's Avatar
 
If you can't afford to lose the money, don't play with it. You might as well go play slot machines, you'll win just as often.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 PM HeLLFiRe is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

beavens
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLFiRe View Post
If you can't afford to lose the money, don't play with it. You might as well go play slot machines, you'll win just as often.

you obviously dont know what youre talking about.

edit. besides the playing within your means part
__________________
"oh.. why don't i just take a whizz through this five thousand dollar suit.. COME ON!"

-GOB
Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 PM beavens is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

yolo
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALbert View Post
Amazing amount of actual good advice in a poker thread.

I was reading poker forums before I joined Genmay.
__________________
USCG 2005-2009
Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM yolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

beavens
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolo View Post
I was reading poker forums before I joined Genmay.

2p2 > joo
__________________
"oh.. why don't i just take a whizz through this five thousand dollar suit.. COME ON!"

-GOB
Old 04-30-2007, 06:24 PM beavens is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

Cryptic
stuff and things
 
 
joepitts showed me they ways now i make around $50,000 a month playing online poker.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 PM Cryptic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

Edo
 
Edo's Avatar
 
Go play in a local poker room and see if you that peeks your interest. Most people dont factor in how long these tournaments run and Ive seen people who just get fed up waiting for the right hands to play and just go on tilt all too often.

The biggest tournaments last several days and playing poker is no way in making a quick buck. Theres a reason why some of the best players are math whizzes or have a photographic memory. One of the best players that never was is Stu Ungar.

Or you make a really good poker bot
Old 04-30-2007, 06:51 PM Edo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

ColdBlue
Vote RON PAUL
 
ColdBlue's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
joepitts showed me they ways now i make around $50,000 a month playing online poker.

You make half a million a year
Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM ColdBlue is offline  
Reply With Quote
#28  

Karshikinpa
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edo View Post
Go play in a local poker room and see if you that peeks your interest. Most people dont factor in how long these tournaments run and Ive seen people who just get fed up waiting for the right hands to play and just go on tilt all too often.

I can't stand just sitting there waiting, so I play on another monitor while playing WoW and listening to music. That way I don't overthink the hands and personally I am much less likely to gamble and will just play smart. I don't mind folding several bad hands in a row when I'm doing something else.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM Karshikinpa is offline  
Reply With Quote
#29  

Tier
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBlue View Post
You make half a million a year

it's a joke if you know joepits. he loses tons of money on online poker and owes every site money

he can also be found regularly at turning stone casino in upstate new york, losing money of course
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM Tier is offline  
Reply With Quote
#30  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.