General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
-espionage-
 
my moms friends are making her a retard like them (v. cho played too many games!)

so my mom forwarded me an email from one of her friends friends who is a "neurobiologust" or some shits about video game violence affecting the youth, and how all these studies prove that there is a direct correlation between games and violent kids.

but of course it had to contain the dr phil s about how cho must have played one too many games and how we are raising a generation of monsters. she even went as far as to say that "the forefathers never intended the first amendment to go this far."

so im working on an essay that my moms going to forward to each one of her stupid friends and hopefully they will shut the fuck up and realize what a bunch of tools they all are. what are some things that you would love to say to a menopausal baby boomer anti video game OMGOMGOMGOMG?
__________________
How many Jeeps would an Isajeep Jeep if an Isajeep could Jeep Jeeps?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:30 PM -espionage- is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

DigitalMocking
I :plane: M|22

 
I'd tell her on some level, she's right. Violence in the media and in video games do desensitize us, so does the nightly news.

However, there's no single study that I know of that shows any direct link between violent video games and violent kids.

Just remind them that a generation ago they blamed killings on black sabbath, aka devil music, and before that it was something else. The problem is that Cho and others like him are fucked up, it doesn't matter if he played tiddlywinks 12 hours a day, he was still fucked up.
__________________
6f624cfe64bfdec898a859577098a73b [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM DigitalMocking is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Cheez-it II
 
did you tell her that cho's roommate said he never played any video games?

i'm also working on a paper on the effects that video game violence has on people
Old 05-01-2007, 04:43 PM Cheez-it II is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

teh scud
 
teh scud's Avatar
 
i wish i had a link to the studies that showed that after reading violent bible passages, people were more prone to anger and violence -- much like after playing violent games.

edit: http://www.gametheoryshow.com/

listen to episode 4 about violence. has some decent perspective.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM teh scud is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
 
Kahnza's Avatar
 
A lot of people like to play violent games to blow off steam instead of taking it out verbally and/or physically on someone. It can affect those that have latent mental issues much more seriously. And then they sit and dwell on everything bad, getting random thoughts on things to do. To hurt people. And some just generally focused rage, slowly building until BAM! I started getting that way back in junior high. Didn't give a shit about anything. Hated everything and depressed about life. I left public school after that cause I had some unresolved "problems" of some sort. Lots of counseling and went to a private christian school for a year. Then for 10th and 11th grade I did some odds and ends homeschooling. Never really did anything then. Then for my senior year I did some post secondary work at the local college. Took 12 credits for 1 semester. Managed to fuck off a lot there too. And for some reason I stopped going to all my classes like a week or 2 before finals. Don't remember why. Got 4 F's there. So I was limited in the spring semester to 1 class of 3 credits or less or something. So I took a study skills class. Obviously I needed it. Everything was going well until the last 3 or so weeks, when I stopped going. And again, don't remember why. I just didn't care anymore? I dunno.

And here I am, fucked up loser. Shitty job history. A felony. And I am unemployed and get social security disability because I have Asperger's. So I really don't get along with/understand people very well. So I seclude myself in my little ass apartment most of the time. Either watching TV, or lurking the [M].

Holy shit WTF did I write that for. Sounds like the last half of a shitty life story.


Sincerely,

FAggot ass loser

edit: and to add to the loserness, I tried committing suicide once. But changed my mind after I took the fist loads of pills. If I would have waited 5 more minutes I probably would have passed out and died. And I had an accidental OD on DXM and started having a grand mal seizure. Thank fucking god I had a sitter or I might have died there.

edit2: and the totally wrong forum, shit

Last edited by Kahnza; 05-01-2007 at 05:02 PM..
Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM Kahnza is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

kev@ou
 
It would be interesting to see the email so that we can pick it apart. Most of the "good" studies regarding violent video games and violence are merely a correlation (meaning there's no direct cause; the explanation could be that violent video games make kids violent just as easily as violent children are attracted to play more violent video games). The laboratory experiments that do try to prove a causal relationship do not reflect the real world very well. They will typically have subjects play the game for several minutes to an hour to see the immediate effects of the violent or non-violent game when given a survey or other test of aggression with varied results. I think we would all agree that if there is a direct causal relationship between violence and violent video games, then it's done over more than just one session of playtime - it would most likely be a gradual change of years of being exposed to and increasing the level of violence in one's choice of games. At the very least that can be prevented through moderation, but that would require parents to actually do their jobs.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:00 PM kev@ou is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Gloibin
 
Gloibin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -espionage- View Post
menopausal baby boomer anti video game OMGOMGOMGOMG
I'm going to say this to the first menopausal baby boomer anti video game OMGOMGOMGOMG I see today
__________________
-- Genmay Beard Club --

[ www.gloibin.com ]
Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM Gloibin is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

Punk1n
Master-B and Jumbypunk suck eachothers dongs.
 
Punk1n's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza View Post
A lot of people like to play violent games to blow off steam instead of taking it out verbally and/or physically on someone. It can affect those that have latent mental issues much more seriously. And then they sit and dwell on everything bad, getting random thoughts on things to do. To hurt people. And some just generally focused rage, slowly building until BAM! I started getting that way back in junior high. Didn't give a shit about anything. Hated everything and depressed about life. I left public school after that cause I had some unresolved "problems" of some sort. Lots of counseling and went to a private christian school for a year. Then for 10th and 11th grade I did some odds and ends homeschooling. Never really did anything then. Then for my senior year I did some post secondary work at the local college. Took 12 credits for 1 semester. Managed to fuck off a lot there too. And for some reason I stopped going to all my classes like a week or 2 before finals. Don't remember why. Got 4 F's there. So I was limited in the spring semester to 1 class of 3 credits or less or something. So I took a study skills class. Obviously I needed it. Everything was going well until the last 3 or so weeks, when I stopped going. And again, don't remember why. I just didn't care anymore? I dunno.

And here I am, fucked up loser. Shitty job history. A felony. And I am unemployed and get social security disability because I have Asperger's. So I really don't get along with/understand people very well. So I seclude myself in my little ass apartment most of the time. Either watching TV, or lurking the [M].

Holy shit WTF did I write that for. Sounds like the last half of a shitty life story.


Sincerely,

FAggot ass loser

edit: and to add to the loserness, I tried committing suicide once. But changed my mind after I took the fist loads of pills. If I would have waited 5 more minutes I probably would have passed out and died. And I had an accidental OD on DXM and started having a grand mal seizure. Thank fucking god I had a sitter or I might have died there.

edit2: and the totally wrong forum, shit

....jesus.
__________________
-Proud member of the Gen[M]ay Stoners Club
-1989 Toyota Supra Turbo(back in action)
Canada > *
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 PM Punk1n is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

-espionage-
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMocking View Post
I'd tell her on some level, she's right. Violence in the media and in video games do desensitize us, so does the nightly news.

well yeah of course it does. we are all desensitized to violence until we are actually confronted by it in real life.
__________________
How many Jeeps would an Isajeep Jeep if an Isajeep could Jeep Jeeps?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM -espionage- is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

-espionage-
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza View Post
A lot of people like to play violent games to blow off steam instead of taking it out verbally and/or physically on someone. It can affect those that have latent mental issues much more seriously. And then they sit and dwell on everything bad, getting random thoughts on things to do. To hurt people. And some just generally focused rage, slowly building until BAM! I started getting that way back in junior high. Didn't give a shit about anything. Hated everything and depressed about life. I left public school after that cause I had some unresolved "problems" of some sort. Lots of counseling and went to a private christian school for a year. Then for 10th and 11th grade I did some odds and ends homeschooling. Never really did anything then. Then for my senior year I did some post secondary work at the local college. Took 12 credits for 1 semester. Managed to fuck off a lot there too. And for some reason I stopped going to all my classes like a week or 2 before finals. Don't remember why. Got 4 F's there. So I was limited in the spring semester to 1 class of 3 credits or less or something. So I took a study skills class. Obviously I needed it. Everything was going well until the last 3 or so weeks, when I stopped going. And again, don't remember why. I just didn't care anymore? I dunno.

And here I am, fucked up loser. Shitty job history. A felony. And I am unemployed and get social security disability because I have Asperger's. So I really don't get along with/understand people very well. So I seclude myself in my little ass apartment most of the time. Either watching TV, or lurking the [M].

Holy shit WTF did I write that for. Sounds like the last half of a shitty life story.


Sincerely,

FAggot ass loser

edit: and to add to the loserness, I tried committing suicide once. But changed my mind after I took the fist loads of pills. If I would have waited 5 more minutes I probably would have passed out and died. And I had an accidental OD on DXM and started having a grand mal seizure. Thank fucking god I had a sitter or I might have died there.

edit2: and the totally wrong forum, shit

__________________
How many Jeeps would an Isajeep Jeep if an Isajeep could Jeep Jeeps?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM -espionage- is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
 
Kahnza's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -espionage- View Post

lol I'm not emo. Although back around 8th grade I probably kinda was.

edit: and even then barely. I was the loner that didn't say much. Well I had a few friends, but most of them weren't very good friends.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 PM Kahnza is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Gabbo
 
Look for witness statements from Cho's roommate that said he didn't play video games at all.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:34 PM Gabbo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

littleho
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnza View Post
A lot of people like to play violent games to blow off steam instead of taking it out verbally and/or physically on someone. It can affect those that have latent mental issues much more seriously. And then they sit and dwell on everything bad, getting random thoughts on things to do. To hurt people. And some just generally focused rage, slowly building until BAM! I started getting that way back in junior high. Didn't give a shit about anything. Hated everything and depressed about life. I left public school after that cause I had some unresolved "problems" of some sort. Lots of counseling and went to a private christian school for a year. Then for 10th and 11th grade I did some odds and ends homeschooling. Never really did anything then. Then for my senior year I did some post secondary work at the local college. Took 12 credits for 1 semester. Managed to fuck off a lot there too. And for some reason I stopped going to all my classes like a week or 2 before finals. Don't remember why. Got 4 F's there. So I was limited in the spring semester to 1 class of 3 credits or less or something. So I took a study skills class. Obviously I needed it. Everything was going well until the last 3 or so weeks, when I stopped going. And again, don't remember why. I just didn't care anymore? I dunno.

And here I am, fucked up loser. Shitty job history. A felony. And I am unemployed and get social security disability because I have Asperger's. So I really don't get along with/understand people very well. So I seclude myself in my little ass apartment most of the time. Either watching TV, or lurking the [M].

Holy shit WTF did I write that for. Sounds like the last half of a shitty life story.


Sincerely,

FAggot ass loser

edit: and to add to the loserness, I tried committing suicide once. But changed my mind after I took the fist loads of pills. If I would have waited 5 more minutes I probably would have passed out and died. And I had an accidental OD on DXM and started having a grand mal seizure. Thank fucking god I had a sitter or I might have died there.

edit2: and the totally wrong forum, shit

i'm still trying to figure out why you wrote this... which forum were you planning to put this in??
__________________
cebababab
Old 05-01-2007, 06:49 PM littleho is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
 
Kahnza's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleho View Post
i'm still trying to figure out why you wrote this... which forum were you planning to put this in??

hell if I know. I think I thought I was in the main forum. And my adderall was kicking in so I was really excited to type a lot. And for some reason the mention of Cho triggered how I felt back in Jr. high days and I felt compelled to type it up.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM Kahnza is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

Tbolt
 
Tbolt's Avatar
 
Tell her that kids more prone to violence are attracted to video games. Specifically violent ones.

I played tiger woods today, and crackdown a few days ago, and Ghost recon a week ago...Odd...I don't want to be a pro golfer or fight crime or kill people.

edit: actually being a pro-golfer would be sweet ><
Old 05-01-2007, 06:57 PM Tbolt is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.