General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Gaming
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

DemonNite

David Jaffe loses the plot

Quote:
There's no love lost between David Jaffe and Joystiq. Reporting the news today that Jaffe's Calling All Cars has been pushed back from its May 3 release date, the blog was none too happy:
Quote:
Like a little girl struggling to keep her favorite doll out of the garage sale bin, David Jaffe is returning to the world of Calling All Cars to make some fixes and revise some of the criticisms the title received via reviews, even after announcing that the title has gone gold, according to a post he left on the NeoGAF forums.
Jaffe's response to an "unnamed" website, delivered via his blog, was swift and furious.
Quote:
Fuck you, guys. Go fuck yourselves. What other developer makes a fucking change to a game when a review (IGN's in this case) has a good, valid point and is willing to open the fucking code up at the risk of more bugs to make the game better? Amazing.But hey, you guys are great, you guys rock. I hope Kotaku fucking puts your ass out of business, wanna be fucktards. And if you were actual journalists you would have read the motherfucking quote I posted on NEOGAF where I said because of the two bugs we needed to fix (not because I was afraid of the bargin bin) we had a window of opp. to fix the magnet problem. Assholes...total fucking assholes.
Was the response aimed at Joystiq? It seems very likely. We likely won't hear any more, though, because Jaffe adds that he's going to "go dark" for a while and quit the blogging biz, saying that his blog posts "have upset some folks within the biz I care very much about and that I can not live with."

He's said that before. But it's David Jaffe, kids! Don't you cry, he'll be back again someday.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/05/...slams_joy.html
Looks like joystiq replied to him

Quote:
Dear David (can we call you David? We hope so ...),

We could be very wrong, of course, but we're pretty sure the "unnamed" website that drove you to swear off blogging was (the potentially French) Joystiq, and we think we know why.

First, a discussion on the simile which we presume set you off: "Like a little girl struggling to keep her favorite doll out of the garage sale bin ..." Obviously, neither you nor we have ever been a little girl, but we imagine that it's pretty tough to part with something so dear. A garage sale bin -- though we can see the implications to a "bargain" bin -- is just the most likely way said little girl would be forced to give her precious friend away. Perhaps a better simile would have been, "Like an overprotective mother carting her still-suckling toddler to kindergarten for the first time," ... actually, you know what? Let's just forget about the similes for now and concentrate on what else we wrote.

Before we scribble out "game journalist" from our photocopied business cards, we would like to note that we did read your post on NeoGAF and linked it. Twice. In fact, our entire post was written in response to yours, mentioning the rationale for postponing the game in the very first sentence: "to make some fixes and revise some of the criticisms." The entire second paragraph addresses those bug fixes, quotes your post on NeoGAF (see, told you we read it!) and then closes with a hopeful comment on the delay's reception (much like your post does).

Now, we could take umbrage with your misreading of our post; we could point out the irony of you criticizing our lack of reading and research; we could even point out the irony of you misinterpreting our "little girl" simile and acting out like ... well, let's just forget about all that. We don't want to keep fighting! We just want to tell you that we like your candor, always have. In fact, in looking back at all that we've said about you and your projects, we found it to be overwhelmingly positive (shared with you below). In short, don't give up blogging. And definitely don't give up blogging over a simple misunderstanding! The industry needs more candid developers eager to address their fans and critics alike, not one less.

Love,

The #!*?tards Your pals at Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/02/ja...thing-we-said/

lol bunch of fools...just stfu and get working on GoW3 please

blog link: http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

seiferguy

Fuck yeah. I hate Joystiq, but that was absolutely for me.

I don't think Jaffe is working on GoW3, he didn't work on 2.

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(

Good stuff.

AndrewHanes

I think thats a good thing... I would love if other people went back and fixed their games after I pointed out flaws...

Hes a hero.

toastbochs

I guess the cliffs can be summarized as, "fuck."

lonedawg
Stiler

To make sure I'm reading into this right.

Basically Jaffe's game got some criticism from IGN and then Jaffe announced he was pulling it back to fix up some bugs as well as the line because of such criticism and then Joystiq made a jab at Jaffe and well he got pissed?

Scrivener
Scrivener never gets any love :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
To make sure I'm reading into this right.

Basically Jaffe's game got some criticism from IGN and then Jaffe announced he was pulling it back to fix up some bugs as well as the line because of such criticism and then Joystiq made a jab at Jaffe and well he got pissed?

That is correct.

teh scud

it wasn't merely critisicm, it was 2 significant bugs in the game. here's his post on neoGAF --

Quote:
Hey guys...Sony was kinda annoyed that I claimed 5/3 as release date as it was never official. The game got kicked out of format as two very key bugs were found at the last second. Fixing those allowed us time to go back in and fix the issue (or what we think is the issue) that IGN had with the magnet. We are back in format q/a at the moment and we'd all be stunned if it did not sail thru...but we've learned to keep our mouths shut on it so as to not get people's hopes up and then let them down. The two big bugs tho- so you realize we didn't hold it up for no reason- were:

a- About 30% of the time if the host of a network game quit to the XMB or powered off his PS3, the other folks in the game would experience a hang/crash when going back to the game lobby. This was way too frequent for a crash bug and we wanted it fixed.

b- If players were doing voice chat and one player unplugged his head set and quit out of the game, when he tried to jump into a new game, about 50% of the time the player would be able to play the game but no one could hear him over voice chat.

I hope you will agree these bugs were worth ironing out. Granted, they should have been bugs that were squashed 2 months ago, but for whatever reason, they were not. So we had to do it now.

I was trying to find a way to make it up to those who care about our game and I think what we are going to do is like the first 50 or so people who find me online and can beat me, get a free CALLING ALL CARS bobble head figure. Is that lame? Not sure. But we'll prob. do it. Cause we really do feel really, really bad.

Sorry.

David

sir tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh scud View Post
it wasn't merely critisicm, it was 2 significant bugs in the game. here's his post on neoGAF --
damn he's fucking awesome. fuck joystiq.

seiferguy

God damn, people are putting WAY too much attention into a small downloadable game, if you ask me.

Edit: of course, it's because it's Jaffe.

WickedAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiferguy View Post
God damn, people are putting WAY too much attention into a small downloadable game, if you ask me.

Edit: of course, it's because it's Jaffe.

I think people have unrealistically high expectations. Having God of War on your resume can be a curse sometimes, I guess...people expect AAA everytime when he's simply trying to make a short-and-sweet time filler.

DemonNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedAngel View Post
I think people have unrealistically high expectations. Having God of War on your resume can be a curse sometimes, I guess...people expect AAA everytime when he's simply trying to make a short-and-sweet time filler.

its sad to hear tho that hes staying away from big epic games. It doesnt sound like he'll be doing big scale games for a long while. Oh and destructoid supporting the Jaffe