General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Xayd
 
should have an asterisk for children baptized with pedo priest man juice.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:37 PM Xayd is offline  
Reply With Quote
#76  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

cokezeroholic
 
cokezeroholic's Avatar
 
I do not try to dwell on it any longer than 5 minutes, but it will come into play more and more as I want to ensure my daughter will have it as best as possible when I'm gone.
__________________
There are doorways I haven't opened, and windows I've yet to look through. Going forward may not be the answer ... maybe I should go back.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:06 AM cokezeroholic is offline  
Reply With Quote
#77  

spoon
KangarooMolester
Kiddie Corral Material
 
spoon's Avatar
 
I'm going to have everything from my waist vaporised and I am going to lay on the ground and wonder where the hell they went.
__________________
Self Proclaimed King of the Kiddie Corral.

TheDude's Adopted 18k

Myndal is my Adopted 25k

- Proud to be an :18k: -
Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 AM spoon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#78  

theNoid
 
theNoid's Avatar
 
I've been blind in one eye since I was 5, been in numerous car wrecks, had complete facial reconstructive surgery a few years ago and barely made it out alive from wildfires not long ago (lost everything)... but I take it all in stride.

Death is coming for us all, but in reality its going to feel exactly like how things felt before we were born. Nothingness.

Laugh as much as possible, give your life the ultimate purpose and have children. Your life will forever change the day you have a child, you will look back to all the years you were w/o child and think what a shallow, hollow and selfish existence you wandered around aimlessly in. Mend everything with family and spend as much time with them.

We are all toast soon, quit fucking around and improve your life by doing something with it.
__________________
855d05149c8915538dbad94c796751cc
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 AM theNoid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#79  

Ralph
 
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
- Mark Twain

I don't really think that helps though. We're biologically programmed for self-preservation, so the fear of death is probably more of an instinct than a behavior that's subject to will. Trying not to think about it is the only thing that really works...

You know what the funniest thing about it is? Eternal existence is equally or MORE frightening than death (at least in my opinion). So basically we're fucked either way
__________________
The above post is an explicit representation of the views and opinions of CrowdGather. We at CrowdGather also support all medical advice contained herein and do recommend "trying it at home."
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#80  

crumbaker
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
- Mark Twain

I don't really think that helps though. We're biologically programmed for self-preservation, so the fear of death is probably more of an instinct than a behavior that's subject to will. Trying not to think about it is the only thing that really works...

You know what the funniest thing about it is? Eternal existence is equally or MORE frightening than death (at least in my opinion). So basically we're fucked either way

why? Eternal existence is all we know on a first person experience.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:56 PM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#81  

Ralph
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
why? Eternal existence is all we know on a first person experience.
What? The existence of our consciousness is generally understood to be temporary... I have no clue what you're referring to. If you're one of those people who still hasn't given up your imaginary friend, sure, you might believe your consciousness will live on through some sort of "soul." But people who are dumb enough to believe that aren't really capable of grasping the implications of the word "eternity" and comprehending the possible downsides of an eternal existence.

The fact that the universe itself will exist forever? Irrelevant.
__________________
The above post is an explicit representation of the views and opinions of CrowdGather. We at CrowdGather also support all medical advice contained herein and do recommend "trying it at home."
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#82  

crumbaker
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
What? The existence of our consciousness is generally understood to be temporary... I have no clue what you're referring to. If you're one of those people who still hasn't given up your imaginary friend, sure, you might believe your consciousness will live on through some sort of "soul." But people who are dumb enough to believe that aren't really capable of grasping the implications of the word "eternity" and comprehending the possible downsides of an eternal existence.

The fact that the universe itself will exist forever? Irrelevant.

from a first person experience , experience is all we know, death isn't something we experience just the end of consciousnesses. Don't make stupid assumptions about what I believe.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM crumbaker is offline  
Reply With Quote
#83  

Ralph
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbaker View Post
from a first person experience , experience is all we know, death isn't something we experience just the end of consciousnesses. Don't make stupid assumptions about what I believe.
I wasn't assuming you believe it, I just said if that's what you believe, because I had no idea what you were trying to say.

And I still don't, because what you just posted says nothing about eternity . It's one thing to know that you will experience the state of existing for a finite period of time, but it's completely different to think you may continue experiencing this life for all of eternity. Obviously we won't know that we're dead once we're actually dead, so the fear is largely irrational, but while we exist we're still aware of that impending cessation of life.

My mom tried to raise me as a catholic and I didn't know any better for a while. When I was 9 I finally started paying attention to it, and the thought of existing for eternity in "heaven" honestly scared the fuck out of me -- I couldn't sleep at all if I started thinking about it at night. Reading the bible and contemplating the super awesomeness that is "heaven" literally drove me to atheism before I even turned 10
__________________
The above post is an explicit representation of the views and opinions of CrowdGather. We at CrowdGather also support all medical advice contained herein and do recommend "trying it at home."
Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#84  

Bukkakeboy
 
Bukkakeboy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
Death is coming for us all, but in reality its going to feel exactly like how things felt before we were born. Nothingness.

Laugh as much as possible, give your life the ultimate purpose and have children. Your life will forever change the day you have a child, you will look back to all the years you were w/o child and think what a shallow, hollow and selfish existence you wandered around aimlessly in. Mend everything with family and spend as much time with them.

We are all toast soon, quit fucking around and improve your life by doing something with it.


THIS! 100x this!

Should be part of the curriculum in school
__________________
fuck IRL

this is the internet... and someone is WRONG on it

-Tongboy
Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM Bukkakeboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
#85  

Ralph
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theNoid View Post
give your life the ultimate purpose and have children. Your life will forever change the day you have a child, you will look back to all the years you were w/o child and think what a shallow, hollow and selfish existence you wandered around aimlessly in.
Eh, what? Can't agree with you at all on that one.

I've heard the argument that children are the ultimate purpose in life pretty frequently, but all you're really doing with that assertion is jumping into an infinite regress. Purpose = kid. Kid's purpose = next kid. Next kid's purpose = next next kid. Etc.
Just like your own life, the kid's lives all possess no intrinsic purpose, so the entire cycle is meaningless unless you assume it repeats to infinity, which makes it an extremely weak argument.

I think having a kid feels like the purpose in life because we evolved specifically for that -- it's programmed into our genes because procreation (or lack thereof) is the driving factor behind natural selection. Just like eating is not the purpose of life despite our frequent feeling of hunger, kids are not the purpose of life despite the fact that your emotions make it feel that way.
__________________
The above post is an explicit representation of the views and opinions of CrowdGather. We at CrowdGather also support all medical advice contained herein and do recommend "trying it at home."
Old 05-25-2010, 02:46 PM Ralph is offline  
Reply With Quote
#86  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.