General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Liquid_Table
Waiting for that fateful day of bannage, c'mon Kyle be a man and push the button you big fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
Fedex is a piece of shit company and the contrast between how it treats its workers and how UPS treats theirs shows why unions are important.

This may be true but the fact for myself and just about everyone I know remains that when we ship something it's always FedEx, and when we have a choice between the two, it's FedEx.

Sometimes it is difficult to vote with your wallet when you *NEED* something to be shipped with limited time and limited budget. FedEx may be a piece of shit company to their workers but it doesn't change the fact that people are going to go with whoever gives them better price and/or better service 99.9% of the time. This is why even people who bitch about how much Walmart sucks still end up shopping there. Where else are you going to go when you need $2.50 toothpaste at 2AM?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

woods01

I worked for a UPS hub when I was younger and it was ran like one would assume a union shop in todays world would be.

Hard workers didn't appear to get anywhere. The only way you seemed to get promoted or a job worth a crap was by either getting hurt and agree'ing not to sue or by knowing someone or perhaps paying someone.

I have a neighbor that drives for UPS and he comes home everyday for around 2 hours at the end of the day before returning the truck. I have to assume he's on the clock because otherwise why not just return it and get home, it's a hellish drive either-way.

This seems to be the norm for UPS, you see trucks sitting for hours around 5PM and the only thing I can put together is they are on the clock killing time before returning the truck to the service centers.

You never see fedex trucks sitting idle anywhere.

With all of that said, UPS also makes you *at least in my area* agree to stay at their job for a period of time which is something unheard of in any other market. They do this because it sucks and it's not worth the hassle of working under college kid supervisors that have the positions because they know someone or got hurt loading a truck.

I do apologize for bumping a year old post. This topic came out again in the last few days and this forum is right up there in the search results.