General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

eem
pwned

The most brilliant, during their time, are ridiculed.

I found this article:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18822...r-time_p2.html

I thought it was interesting. Not really a new point to make, I'm sure it's pretty common sense that the greatest scientists, mathematicians, theorists, philosophers and metaphysicians during their time were the most ridiculed. And for reasons I'd like to think are obvious. I mean, if you have a new thought that pushes the boundary past the currently accepted 'norm' or is somehow further outside the box, this means that A) Most people will have more difficulty actually understanding what your saying and B) Any previously established institution will probably take some offense to the notion your trying get a "leg up" on them or hurt their ego. For alot of people it seems all they want to do is build up their ego as much as possible. So when some guy comes along with a brain and thoughts far superior to theirs, and all they have to do to not let it hurt their ego is not engage their brain enough to comprehend what hes saying, well the answer to the situation is obvious. If someones objective is just to jimmy up their ego as much as possible and believe themselves to be the 'most accomplished', then why would they engage there brain to understand that might not actually be the case? Well most people don't.

But anyways, my point here I want to make is. So many people know the greatest minds of their time are ridiculed because they are so far ahead of everyone else, the masses can't fully comprehend them, and usually their thoughts challenge the status quo. If this is common knowledge then why doesn't anyone then for a moment stop and think "Hey, what are the most ridiculed minds right NOW"? Yes believe it or not, the most brilliant minds, the most brilliant thoughts and theories available right now are the ones that are receiving the most controversy, that the status quo would prefer to keep buried to some degree.

I mean you see this pattern go on and on, some great mind discovers or thinks up something brilliant, hes ridiculed during his time, then later once peoples brain catch up with his, they realize he actually was just ahead of them. Has history taught you nothing? (clearly I'm typing this to a specific audience and not everyone who will read this) But has history taught you nothing? If you want to see the truly brilliant minds and thoughts currently available, you have to look where the controversy is, where the ridicule is and dissent are. No brain or idea incredibly far ahead of it's time was not met with contempt during it's time, or incredibly scorning from the status quo. The truly brilliant are the ones who established institutions currently wish to keep hidden and painted as wrong.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

the biggest idiots during their time are ridiculed as well

Complete fucking idiots cant tell the difference between the two.

Guess which category you fit into.

And your original statement is a reach anyway.

Babbage wasn't ridiculed for his ideas

Nash was not ridiculed for his math ideas. Got a Nobel and transformed economics.

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post

Nash was not ridiculed for his math ideas. Got a Nobel and transformed economics.

This.

Even if we accept the premise that brilliant thinkers are ridiculed, they are still vastly outnumbers by tremendous idiots. You're suggesting we focus on ridiculous and stupid ideas... well even if there are a few gems of brilliance they'll be completely and utterly crowded out by nonsense.

SemperFly

fact of the matter is that ry goody is basing his idiot thread on a cracked.com article

Runding

I've met a lot of homeless dudes that sounded just like Einstein. I guess I should've paid more attention?

edit:

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
fact of the matter is that ry goody is basing his idiot thread on a cracked.com article

this

and his basic assumption is that he is brilliant but misunderstood
when in truth, he is a wacked out dumbass

eem
pwned

Quote:

Neither Nash's nor babbages theories were very far on the edge, there ideas were completely comprehensible to their peers at the time. Brilliant yes, but brilliant to the point where it births human comprehension onto a plane of being which completely changes the paradigm common man lives in? Not so much. You can find inventions and theories that are even more brilliant than Nash and Babbages, and caused even more of a paradigm shift, and the more brilliant and paradigm shifting you go, the more that invention or theory will be faced with greater scrutiny and discredit in the beginning.

eem
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilliam54 View Post
this

and his basic assumption is that he is brilliant but misunderstood
when in truth, he is a wacked out dumbass

I don't make this thread about myself, I make this thread more to point the finger at other brilliant minds of our current, and recent generations, that you may have a tendency to ignore because of certain reputations you hear.

eem
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
This.

Even if we accept the premise that brilliant thinkers are ridiculed, they are still vastly outnumbers by tremendous idiots. You're suggesting we focus on ridiculous and stupid ideas... well even if there are a few gems of brilliance they'll be completely and utterly crowded out by nonsense.

When I think about what I said in my opening posts, it brings up the thought that, "perhaps I should evaluate for myself ideas at the edge of mainstream and thoughts in high controversy without letting reputations coming from institutions or mainstream affecting my thought process and judgement"

Meaning, the ability to discern stupid from brilliance is largely dependent on you yourself, the person consuming the information.

You however seem to automatically assume you will only be consuming stupidity if you do this. To me this makes me think you have no ability to discern stupidity and brilliance on your own and that you must wait for someone you believe is more informed, or someone who makes more money than you do, to tell you what is stupid and brilliant. And to me, that is stupid. If you were intelligent yourself, you could discern stupidity from brilliance on your own no problem, and if you really could recognize brilliance, then me telling you to 'look at the edges of human thought' would mean to you that your going to recognize brilliance at the edge of human thought. Can you recognize brilliance, or can you only recognize stupidity on your own?

As I said in my first post, all thoughts, ideas and inventions at the edge of the current paradigm are ridiculed, misunderstood and shrouded in deep controversy. So I'd have to ask, can you identify any thought, idea or invention currently in deep ridicule, controversy and far outside the mainstream that you think holds great promise and true brilliance?

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eem View Post
I don't make this thread about myself, I make this thread more to point the finger at other brilliant minds of our current, and recent generations, that you may have a tendency to ignore because they are as braindead as I.

yup

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eem View Post
Neither Nash's nor babbages theories were very far on the edge, there ideas were completely comprehensible to their peers at the time. Brilliant yes, but brilliant to the point where it births human comprehension onto a plane of being which completely changes the paradigm common man lives in? Not so much. You can find inventions and theories that are even more brilliant than Nash and Babbages, and caused even more of a paradigm shift, and the more brilliant and paradigm shifting you go, the more that invention or theory will be faced with greater scrutiny and discredit in the beginning.

You dont thing that Babbages idea that you could have a general purpose math machine that could 'out-think' a math genius was on the edge?

You dont think that Nash's idea that not every transaction should be a zero sum game was not on the edge? And that total win scenario was damaging in the long run to the winner of a zero sum outcome.

Last edited by TheMorlock; 11-23-2010 at 02:48 AM..

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Would the most brilliant people (before, during or after their time) know when to use "your" and "you're" as they attempt to make a point? That is the real question..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Vendetta
That's "Doctor Vendetta" to you

Is this ry_goody? I grow so tired of banning his dupes.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
Is this ry_goody? I grow so tired of banning his dupes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Yeah it is. Anonymous mod confirmed it for me awhile ago.

eem
pwned

Quote:
You dont thing that Babbages idea that you could have a general purpose math machine that could 'out-think' a math genius was on the edge?

You dont think that Nash's idea that not every transaction should be a zero sum game was not on the edge? And that total win scenario was damaging in the long run to the winner of a zero sum outcome.

I think the proposition of genetics, germs and quanta are all a step beyond those. People have used mechanical counting machines for centuries, whats so absurd about the notion a more complex, mechanically operated, and more automated one could be constructed? People had already accepted that a physical, mechanical object can do math. Zero sum is not very novel either, perhaps just the most complex saying of, you win some, you lose some, or rather 'the tao'.

For a person to propose tiny microbials that you can't perceive are responsible for disease is way out of left field for alot of people. It's like me telling you that you something you can't percieve or even can comprehend the existence of, is causing your ailments. It'd be like me saying "The cause of your disease is blocks and contortions in your energetic flow". You can't even comprehend what a 'block and contortion in your energetic flow' is, this probably much what it would be like over 100 years ago when someone said "The cause of your disease is microscopic, unsee-able, organisms all over everything", the people who he said that to couldn't even comprehend it at the time.

To say everything is made out of quanta is along a similiar vain, the idea didn't even have any context in the masses minds in which they could understand. You say 'quanta' and they have nothing to reference in their brain, so they find it absurd.

Comparatively you saying 'mechanical math machine', a steam-powered abacus? There is context there. All the words 'mechanical, math and machine' have something in context to allow comprehension, perhaps the combination of the three at the time was unfathomable, but atleast the words were referencing to comprehensible things at the time. While conversely, the word 'germ' fell on minds that could look to nothing but blankess for an example.