General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

jpgoody123

electrical work?

I just had a home inspection done on the home we are trying to sell. It came out in the report that several outlets had the reverse polarity. I have installed light switches and dimmers myself, for those who know more about electrical work, should I be able to handle rewiring the outlets? Or is this a job or an electrician. I know to turn off the power to the outlet before doing any work, so that doesn't have to be repeated. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

zoopnazi
no zoop for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgoody123 View Post
I just had a home inspection done on the home we are trying to sell. It came out in the report that several outlets had the reverse polarity. I have installed light switches and dimmers myself, for those who know more about electrical work, should I be able to handle rewiring the outlets? Or is this a job or an electrician. I know to turn off the power to the outlet before doing any work, so that doesn't have to be repeated. Thanks for any advice.

extremely easy job

on the back of the outlet theres a little release that will let go of all three wires. pop that swap your hot and neutral and voila
or at the very worst theres a couple terminal screws to loosen

California Pizza Chicken

godofcheese

Ya, that is a 5 min job. Hell, I have been known to redo outlets without even killing the power. As long as you don't touch more then one wire at a time . . . .

(I suggest you kill the breaker. Don't be like me *twitch*)

My house inspection came back with "replace this breaker box, its going to burn down your house" So there goes my weekend.

jpgoody123

What about open grounded outlets?

godofcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgoody123 View Post
What about open grounded outlets?

first you should just verify that the ground wire is attached. Might just be loose in there. If it isn't and there isn't one in the box you will need to run a ground wire to the next closest outlet/junction box that has one and tie it in. Ground wires do not need to be independent, nor do they need insulation. Just tie it into the nearest ground you can find and you are good to go.

jpgoody123

No grounding wire and the box isn't grounded either. One general contractor said he would just switch it out with GFCI outlets and that would work for a home inspection, I am thinking of doing that myself. Any thoughts?

Jehannum

Is the wire run in through metal conduit?

If so, ground that and then ground the outlet to the conduit.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.