General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Everyday Life.
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

the block
WeeeeeeeeWeeeeeeee WeeeeeeeeWeeeeeeee

one kitten or two?

My wife and I know someone whose cat just had a litter 2 or 3 weeks ago, and we're definitely going to get one of the kittens (female) in a few weeks when she's ready to go home. We are considering possibly getting a second kitten (male) from the litter, since we work during the day and we've heard of kittens getting into more trouble when they are alone and bored, so we thought it would be good for the kitten to have a playmate, especially one coming from the same litter. We both like cats a lot, so we also think it would be fun to have 2.

Is it much harder to take care of 2 than 1? I know the vet bills will be 2x when we get them spayed/neutered and their shots, but after that, assuming they stay healthy as inside cats, I don't really expect there to many vet bills, especially since they are so young. I mean I know it's also 2x the food and poop, but the food is cheap and I plan on getting a scoopfree automatic litter box, so the poop shouldn't pile up fast as long as the litterbox is doing it's job, I'll just have to change it as it gets full.

Our final consideration is allergy related. My in-laws, whom live about 3.5 hours away, and only visit maybe every couple months, my wife's dad is allergic to cats. He likes cats and can pet them if he sees one outside, he just can't rub his eyes afterward. I guess what I mean is he isn't as allergic as some other people might be. So my wife and I being cat lovers, aren't just going to never get a cat because her dad is somewhat allergic and they only visit every few months. We're going to keep the guestroom door shut all the time anyways, so it shouldn't be a problem when they go to sleep, and before they come, we'll just do a good job vacuuming. We have a Dyson vacuum that does an amazing job at getting pet hair out of the carpet. We bought our house back in August and the previous owner had a couple cats, and we couldn't see the cat hair anywhere. After we vacuumed with the Dyson, it was full of cat hair, so I know it does a good job. So does having 2 cats affect people with allergies much differently than only having 1, taking into account we'll still be doing the same amount of vacuuming/cleaning before the in-laws visit?

Other than that, I'm just looking to hear about people's experiences with raising 1 and/or 2 kittens, any tips or tricks, suggestions, fun toys for them to play with.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Serv0h
Stilts and a straw, you'll be in heaven.

Sounds like you covered all the bases. You'll do great with two.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews of automatic litterboxes. Make sure you do plenty of research before you settle on one, since they're so expensive. We've had great success with the Omega Paw litterbox and highly recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Self-Cle...3&sr=8-1-fkmr1
__//
__||
▀▀

Serv0h

Also, as far as allergies are concerned, tell him to take some OTC 24-hour allergy meds and he'll be fine. It doesn't sound like his reactions are very severe. I'd also say that leaving the guest room open for the kitties isn't a bad idea. Just be sure to vacuum, wash the sheets, and get fresh air in the room before you have visitors. No big deal.
__//
__||
▀▀

the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serv0h View Post
Sounds like you covered all the bases. You'll do great with two.

I've read a lot of mixed reviews of automatic litterboxes. Make sure you do plenty of research before you settle on one, since they're so expensive. We've had great success with the Omega Paw litterbox and highly recommend it: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Self-Cle...3&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Yeah I've read up a good bit on litter boxes, and I was actually going to go with the Omega Paw, it's just where the litter box is going to go, it's not going to have a whole lot of room to roll it back and forth. The scoop free seems to have gotten pretty good reviews, and can stay stationary. You can also buy a permanent plastic tray as well as a compatible litter so you don't have to keep buying the expensive scoop free replacement trays.

the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serv0h View Post
Also, as far as allergies are concerned, tell him to take some OTC 24-hour allergy meds and he'll be fine. It doesn't sound like his reactions are very severe. I'd also say that leaving the guest room open for the kitties isn't a bad idea. Just be sure to vacuum, wash the sheets, and get fresh air in the room before you have visitors. No big deal.

That's a good idea.. you have a suggestion for which OTC allergy med to try?

Serv0h

Quote:
Originally Posted by the block View Post
Yeah I've read up a good bit on litter boxes, and I was actually going to go with the Omega Paw, it's just where the litter box is going to go, it's not going to have a whole lot of room to roll it back and forth. The scoop free seems to have gotten pretty good reviews, and can stay stationary. You can also buy a permanent plastic tray as well as a compatible litter so you don't have to keep buying the expensive scoop free replacement trays.

Holy crap are those replacement trays expensive
__//
__||
▀▀

Serv0h

Quote:
That's a good idea.. you have a suggestion for which OTC allergy med to try?

Generic of Claritin has always worked great for me.
__//
__||
▀▀

Serv0h

As for toys, every cat I've known goes ape shit for Da Bird: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...a+bird&x=0&y=0
__//
__||
▀▀

wwilliam54

I have had a littermaid box for almost 2 years, just use good litter

crazymike
I am a dumb fag who needs a dumb TV show to tell me something thatís common knowledge. Then I make

we have a shit load of cats. most live in the barn but they do come in when it gets cold.

There is only one self cleaning litter box worth owning

http://www.catgenie.com/

it flushes instead of just scooping off the top. No odour. It's awesome, pricey, but the only one worth having

[J]eep Club: Shmoblar, Striker169, Trekman8, Crazymike, Whitefrog, PiMpY, Woe, Gearhead

someone else

If you're getting em young, might as well get two. keep each other entertained, give each other some exercise, and especially where you are gone all day, will give them some company.

I got 2 when I got mine, but one had a congenital heart defect and i had to put him down a month or so afterwards. this was a little over a year ago and there are times i wish floyd had a playmate so he'd stop bugging me when I'm doing homework.

I would say just get a regular litter box with good litter (I think I use fresh scoop) and just take 30 seconds each day and clean it. i do it in the morning before i go out to leave for work/school. save my shopping bags, scoop the poop, tie the bag, wash my hands, and when i leave, just drop the bag in the trash. costs way, way, way less. YMMV
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

wwilliam54

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike View Post
we have a shit load of cats. most live in the barn but they do come in when it gets cold.

There is only one self cleaning litter box worth owning

http://www.catgenie.com/

it flushes instead of just scooping off the top. No odour. It's awesome, pricey, but the only one worth having

holy fucking shit, PIF?

Forever Domon

Quote:
That Omega paw is fucking brilliant man. Im totally getting one of those when i pick up my kittens

the block

Ok well it looks like we're gonna get the 2 cats, so thanks for all the input. And 2nd, after I did some measuring, the scoopfree isn't going to fit, and neither is the omega paw, so looks like I might just be using a regular old litter box. Anyone have some litter brand suggestions that work the best?

someone else

Quote:
Ok well it looks like we're gonna get the 2 cats, so thanks for all the input. And 2nd, after I did some measuring, the scoopfree isn't going to fit, and neither is the omega paw, so looks like I might just be using a regular old litter box. Anyone have some litter brand suggestions that work the best?

I believe I use fresh step, works wonders.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645