General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Xcric
i have 3 girlfriends but they dont know it yet

oh for fuck sake, even if someone gives you a step by step procedure on how to do this, and even if its something so simple a dog eating pig shit could do it. you'll still fuck it up beyond belief and tell people that they're wrong.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Hifonics amp ordered... We'll see what happens I guess.

wat
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
¯\(º_o)/¯ IRC Partay!! ¯\(o_º)/¯

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
wat

I ordered this:

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...Amplifier.html

as well as some 12ga speaker wire for rewiring the inside of the box, and some 4ga spade terminals so I'm not just cramming raw power/ground cable into my new amp

daswulfkralle

don't put seals in your sub box. that's just cruel. You should hit them with clubs instead.

Viperoni

Use wood glue, liquid nails, PL Premium, etc, to glue the port shut at location #2.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Would jbweld shatter/crack or something?

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Dude nobody in their right mind uses JBweld on wood

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Ive never used it w wood but it is listed as one of its uses

[H]ard|On

Well if you have all the answers why bother asking

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Well if you have all the answers why bother asking

Or you could explain why jbweld is a poor choice for bonding wood together...

<edit>
this is pretty fun to play with

http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/gl...Wood&that=Wood

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 02-02-2012 at 12:34 AM..

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

Block the port in location 1. Location 2 will make the box resonant at whatever the port tuning frequency is, causing a dip in the frequency response and increasing the excursion of the sub, resulting in a system that sounds very wrong and possibly even sub damage.

Use No More Nails or some other construction/carpentry adhesive designed for wood. It's sold alongside tubes of caulking at Home Depot. Don't use JB Weld - JB weld is an epoxy, which doesn't attach as well to wood as a proper wood adhesive, and it's also brittle and will likely crack over time unlike wood adhesive which is more ductile.

Though honestly at this point, I think you're better off getting a new sealed box built, designed to the recommendations of whoever makes your sub. Probably won't cost you that much if you sell the existing box, plus you can use the opportunity to build a nicer, better fitting system with everything mounted clean.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
Block the port in location 1. Location 2 will make the box resonant at whatever the port tuning frequency is, causing a dip in the frequency response and increasing the excursion of the sub, resulting in a system that sounds very wrong and possibly even sub damage.

Use No More Nails or some other construction/carpentry adhesive designed for wood. It's sold alongside tubes of caulking at Home Depot. Don't use JB Weld - JB weld is an epoxy, which doesn't attach as well to wood as a proper wood adhesive, and it's also brittle and will likely crack over time unlike wood adhesive which is more ductile.

Though honestly at this point, I think you're better off getting a new sealed box built, designed to the recommendations of whoever makes your sub. Probably won't cost you that much if you sell the existing box, plus you can use the opportunity to build a nicer, better fitting system with everything mounted clean.

Blocking a port off at the exit is totally fine and will not harm the driver or cause any audible effects.

"make the box resonant at whatever the port tuning frequency is" - that doesn't actually make any sense at all. You can have bracing and pipes galore inside a cabinet. As long as it doesn't lead to the outside it will not contribute to the sound, it will only take up it's own volume worth of space. I won't even touch the physical damage to driver deal - impossible.

Ghetto - use whatever you want, I always use wood glue and sink a couple pre-drilled screws in to help. I've cut a dual 12 box in half before to make two single 12s and had to close off and carpet the sides. It's pretty easy, cutting a piece that fits is the hardest part. However you do want to try it first just to see the difference in sound. Stuf it solid with t-shirts, phonebooks and magazines to get an idea first imo.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Ghetto - use whatever you want, I always use wood glue and sink a couple pre-drilled screws in to help. I've cut a dual 12 box in half before to make two single 12s and had to close off and carpet the sides. It's pretty easy, cutting a piece that fits is the hardest part. However you do want to try it first just to see the difference in sound. Stuf it solid with t-shirts, phonebooks and magazines to get an idea first imo.

Yeah I really would like to demo it before I go to the trouble of crafting a perfect strip of wood.

Viperoni

Quote:
Blocking a port off at the exit is totally fine and will not harm the driver or cause any audible effects.

"make the box resonant at whatever the port tuning frequency is" - that doesn't actually make any sense at all. You can have bracing and pipes galore inside a cabinet. As long as it doesn't lead to the outside it will not contribute to the sound, it will only take up it's own volume worth of space. I won't even touch the physical damage to driver deal - impossible.

Gee is absolutely right in that it CAN happen, but I don't know how large the effects actually would be. You are turning the port, which is a resonator, and effectively changing it's tuning frequency by sealing off one end.
Don't quote me on this, but I think it would end up something like halfing the current tuning frequency because the length will have essentially doubled (pressure waves will travel from point 1 to point 2 and back into the box through point 1 again).
But considering most prebuilt boxes, I think we're safe in assuming that the port is undersized (read: not very effective) and everything will be ok.

By changin the tuning of the box, Gee's comment regarding excursion are spot on too.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Gee is absolutely right in that it CAN happen, but I don't know how large the effects actually would be. You are turning the port, which is a resonator, and effectively changing it's tuning frequency by sealing off one end.
Don't quote me on this, but I think it would end up something like halfing the current tuning frequency because the length will have essentially doubled (pressure waves will travel from point 1 to point 2 and back into the box through point 1 again).
But considering most prebuilt boxes, I think we're safe in assuming that the port is undersized (read: not very effective) and everything will be ok.

By changin the tuning of the box, Gee's comment regarding excursion are spot on too.

In real life there will not be any damage or audible effects, you can safely bet money on it. This discussion has been up on AVS previously and no effects past sealed or ported can be measured - the blind ports do not do anything.

Now consider that his box is slot ported, and not even a tube - you're basically looking at some extra bracing if it's blocked off. There won't be any difference and I suggest leaving that extra interior space available to the driver.

Also stuff the shit out of it with fiberglass or poly... if it's going to be sealed fiberglass is perfectly fine.