General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
PlastiDip the whole car
inside AND out!!!

__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#46  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Well... I'll just bump my most recent car-stereo related thread with this. VanFanel sums my situation up nicely.





I've done everything I set out to do...

Now... It's a matter of spending hours/days/weeks painstakingly demo'ing MP3's on my headset with ZERO bass and hoping to christ that it sounds decent in the car. Ultimately? There are really only two MAYBE three songs that stretch my system out...

I'm not tired of these three songs, no, I'm just... Over it.

Lesson learned, goals achieved, total hard-cash expenditure... dunno... $350+some spare time I guess.


Your goals were to make the sloppiest, stupidest, heaviest and most space wasting system imaginable for someone on a limited budget huh.... I would choose sound quality instead, but maybe that's the lesson you learned?


Get a normal ROUND single ten inch, don't block the seat with a huge wooden coffin and focus on some nice components for the front.


Scratch that, focus on moving out and a nice home theater system
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 AM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#47  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Your goals were to make the sloppiest, stupidest, heaviest and most space wasting system imaginable for someone on a limited budget huh.... I would choose sound quality instead, but maybe that's the lesson you learned?


Get a normal ROUND single ten inch, don't block the seat with a huge wooden coffin and focus on some nice components for the front.


Scratch that, focus on moving out and a nice home theater system

Hey, I understand where you're coming from man. It's tough to maintain superiority, alpha-status on the Internet. You're bound to get caught talking COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR FUCKING ASS once or twice.

Wanna try again?

It's okay, I'll wait.


---

To summarize the tale of how I ended up with this system in my trunk:

1.) Cousin offered me a box built for a pair of JL W0's or W1's. Budgeted it to about $350-400 +/-
2.) I mentioned to a friend that I was looking into putting together a system.
2b.) Friend said, "Just buy my Kicker subs, box, amp(s) for $150."

Done deal.

It comes down to my own... I don't know. "Purchasing logic?"

I'm "kind of" enthused about this JL setup, expectations are as low as can be, finding a one-stop retailer where I can buy everything I want at a price that is even a hair cheaper than fucking asshole Crutchfield seems to be impossible.

Then out of left field, I have an opportunity to score lightly used drivers, box and some dodgy but sorta working amplifiers at a price that is just beyond belief. Oh and it was hand delivered, even did the schlepping and shoehorning into my trunk.. And he threw in a 4ga wiring kit.

And, hoooold on there.......... I am COMPLETELY aware of the following.
"Subs" are not "Subs"
Radiators are not radiators.

Did I make serious compromises to save a ton of money? Certainly. And... I say "compromise" it's more just... Trading SQ for "stupidly loud." Which, I'll be honest... I was at the time and still am completely okay with.

I know FULL WELL what good, clean bass costs. I know what it sounds like. This Kicker system is, without question, "quantity over quality." Could I have achieved this "quantity" of bass while maintaining quality with my budget? Newwwwppp.

And... I mean... At the end of the day? I'm walking out with profit. My blood/sweat/tears/hours of agony getting this junk to play well together are long gone. But... There's a reasonable chance I'm going to come out slightly ahead or at worst at an even break in terms of cash.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 02-22-2012 at 02:28 AM..
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#48  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Then again, the only offer I have received so far is... a straight across trade for these

"giovanna" ""rims""



((Let me know if you guys want a high rez version of this hottness, he sent me a 2mb jpeg which would make a smashing multi monitor wallpaper))
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#49  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Hey, I understand where you're coming from man. It's tough to maintain superiority, alpha-status on the Internet. You're bound to get caught talking COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR FUCKING ASS once or twice.

Wanna try again?

It's okay, I'll wait.


---

To summarize the tale of how I ended up with this system in my trunk:

1.) Cousin offered me a box built for a pair of JL W0's or W1's. Budgeted it to about $350-400 +/-
2.) I mentioned to a friend that I was looking into putting together a system.
2b.) Friend said, "Just buy my Kicker subs, box, amp(s) for $150."

Done deal.

It comes down to my own... I don't know. "Purchasing logic?"

I'm "kind of" enthused about this JL setup, expectations are as low as can be, finding a one-stop retailer where I can buy everything I want at a price that is even a hair cheaper than fucking asshole Crutchfield seems to be impossible.

Then out of left field, I have an opportunity to score lightly used drivers, box and some dodgy but sorta working amplifiers at a price that is just beyond belief. Oh and it was hand delivered, even did the schlepping and shoehorning into my trunk.. And he threw in a 4ga wiring kit.

And, hoooold on there.......... I am COMPLETELY aware of the following.
"Subs" are not "Subs"
Radiators are not radiators.

Did I make serious compromises to save a ton of money? Certainly. And... I say "compromise" it's more just... Trading SQ for "stupidly loud." Which, I'll be honest... I was at the time and still am completely okay with.

I know FULL WELL what good, clean bass costs. I know what it sounds like. This Kicker system is, without question, "quantity over quality." Could I have achieved this "quantity" of bass while maintaining quality with my budget? Newwwwppp.

And... I mean... At the end of the day? I'm walking out with profit. My blood/sweat/tears/hours of agony getting this junk to play well together are long gone. But... There's a reasonable chance I'm going to come out slightly ahead or at worst at an even break in terms of cash.


Cliffs:

1. your "friend" tricked you into buying his discount teenager garbage

2. you had a hard time getting it to work

3. when you did you eventually realized what he realized

4. except you still say "you're okay with it" when you're clearly upset




Just admit you bit the shiniest lure hook line and sinker while experiencing another bout of spending fever. And yes dumbo, you can have a proper thumping sub that is precise for cheap. Just don't buy square ones that were made in the 90s in the worst part of China from recycled milk jugs.




__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#50  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Cliffs:

1. your "friend" tricked you into buying his discount teenager garbage

2. you had a hard time getting it to work

3. when you did you eventually realized what he realized

4. except you still say "you're okay with it" when you're clearly upset




Just admit you bit the shiniest lure hook line and sinker while experiencing another bout of spending fever. And yes dumbo, you can have a proper thumping sub that is precise for cheap. Just don't buy square ones that were made in the 90s in the worst part of China from recycled milk jugs.





His car was broken into and his head unit was stolen. I saw the cracks and scrapes/pry marks around his DIN slot.. He removed the box + amp (now dead-weight) from his trunk and it sat in his garage until I came along. Shrug.

The concept of buying these two subwoofers and box at full retail then "conning" somebody into buying them for 1/2 to 1/3 what he paid is a pretty terrible idea.
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 02-22-2012 at 10:52 AM..
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#51  

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)
 
OneWhoKnows's Avatar
 
Don't ever change, ghetto.
__________________
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM OneWhoKnows is offline  
Reply With Quote
#52  

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable
 
Why_Ask_Why's Avatar
 
inorite? he takes the art of polishing a turd to new levels with every thread
__________________
Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM Why_Ask_Why is offline  
Reply With Quote
#53  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Just really seems like he's grasping at straws to turn this into a TERRIBLE THING I've done here... Simply because I didn't heed peoples' advice to... spend three times as much money to purchase a system with half as much oomph, IF that...

And... Besides which... What if I had spent $4-500 on this Automay Approved (tm) (r) system? Dollars to donuts I'd hit the same "meh" feeling about it and would now be selling everything off at a loss...

I'm really starting to come to the conclusion that I'm internet slapfighting for no reason here. I'm only being debased and attacked because it's me. Look at this objectively: I purchased <widget> at a fantastic deeply discounted ripoff price, and am now selling <widget> for a decent amount more than I paid for it.

Automay is against "buy low, sell high" then??
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐

Last edited by GhEttOrAiD; 02-22-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#54  

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Just really seems like he's grasping at straws to turn this into a TERRIBLE THING I've done here... Simply because I didn't heed peoples' advice to... spend three times as much money to purchase a system with half as much oomph, IF that...

And... Besides which... What if I had spent $4-500 on this Automay Approved (tm) (r) system? I'd reach the same conclusion and would now be selling it all off at a loss...

I'm really starting to come to the conclusion that I'm internet slapfighting for no reason here. I'm only being debased and attacked because it's me. Look at this objectively: I purchased <widget> at a fantastic deeply discounted ripoff price, and am now selling <widget> for a decent amount more than I paid for it.

Automay is against "buy low, sell high" then??
automay is against ghettoraid.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#55  

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM
 
GhEttOrAiD's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
automay is against ghettoraid.

/nod
__________________
[QUOTE=BlisterDick;25482810][b]PLZ keep door unlock for roach and spider[/b][/QUOTE]
✓, ✓, ☑, ☐
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM GhEttOrAiD is offline  
Reply With Quote
#56  

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)
 
OneWhoKnows's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Just really seems like he's grasping at straws to turn this into a TERRIBLE THING I've done here... Simply because I didn't heed peoples' advice to... spend three times as much money to purchase a system with half as much oomph, IF that...

And... Besides which... What if I had spent $4-500 on this Automay Approved (tm) (r) system? Dollars to donuts I'd hit the same "meh" feeling about it and would now be selling everything off at a loss...

I'm really starting to come to the conclusion that I'm internet slapfighting for no reason here. I'm only being debased and attacked because it's me. Look at this objectively: I purchased <widget> at a fantastic deeply discounted ripoff price, and am now selling <widget> for a decent amount more than I paid for it.

Automay is against "buy low, sell high" then??

It's you incessant need to justify everything you do that makes it so worthwhile.

Hey, I heard you suck at this game called World of Warcraft even after 8 years of playing it.
__________________
Intarweb married to [H]ustler 12/08/03
OWK of Team OWK
Gen[M]ay Motorcyclist 2004 YZF-R1 / 2006 YZF-R6
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"
Old 02-22-2012, 01:32 PM OneWhoKnows is offline  
Reply With Quote
#57  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
Just really seems like he's grasping at straws to turn this into a TERRIBLE THING I've done here... Simply because I didn't heed peoples' advice to... spend three times as much money to purchase a system with half as much oomph, IF that...

And... Besides which... What if I had spent $4-500 on this Automay Approved (tm) (r) system? Dollars to donuts I'd hit the same "meh" feeling about it and would now be selling everything off at a loss...

I'm really starting to come to the conclusion that I'm internet slapfighting for no reason here. I'm only being debased and attacked because it's me. Look at this objectively: I purchased <widget> at a fantastic deeply discounted ripoff price, and am now selling <widget> for a decent amount more than I paid for it.

Automay is against "buy low, sell high" then??


I love how you talk about the OOMPH. You can play a 50hz sine wave like a champ Yes reproducing certain notes of a song at extra high levels is such an amazing fucking concept. HAY GUYS MY TWEETERS PLAY LIKE twelve times louder than the rest of my system. Ever heard highs that loud? YEAAABOYEEEE

Both ideas are equally stupid/annoying - overplaying the bass or the highs, or the mids, it doesn't matter, it's not right.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 02-22-2012, 04:20 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#58  

nulls
 
Seal the front, port the back. Bandpass for life bitches.
__________________
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

"You're probably the coolest 300k+ here." - Phil Taylor
Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM nulls is offline  
Reply With Quote
#59  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post




Just admit you bit the shiniest lure hook line and sinker while experiencing another bout of spending fever..






__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#60  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.