General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Anyone have any tips to strip the coating off my mazda miatas wheels? The stuff is bubbling and starting to look like crap. Probably going to toss them eventually but in the interim I wouldnt mind painting them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

well, thats goddamn cool.....

SamFarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Wow - thanks!

grjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Anyone have any tips to strip the coating off my mazda miatas wheels? The stuff is bubbling and starting to look like crap. Probably going to toss them eventually but in the interim I wouldnt mind painting them.

painted wheels? paint stripper/remover

I'm tempted to try plasti-dip on my wheels for a simple/removable change of pace

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
painted wheels? paint stripper/remover

Not sure. It doesn't flake off like any paint I have seen.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
just posting so i don't have to remember

looks like 225/50R16 is going to work on the tires and fit fine
at work i can get Falken ZE329 $102.99/tire, and Hankook V4 $115.99/tire, and the adapters are $79.99 per pair

looks like Trans-Dapt PN 7069 is $61.95/pair which is a 1" wheel spacing

wonder what else i'm missing

Why do you need that much spacing?? That sounds excessive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Domon View Post
i thought this was a ghettoraid thread

Quote:
i thought you should go get yourself fucked

You have to admit that was a good zinger...

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
take everything after the "=" and put that in the youtube tags

+ YouTube Video

to show a bigger version of the youtube, put "hq" in front of youtube inside the youtube tags "[hqyoutube]"

BORKED

for HD videos put "hd" in place of the "hq"

BORKED

That shit was kinda cool. Kinda.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Not sure. It doesn't flake off like any paint I have seen.

Just throw em in a vat of muriatic acid (available at your local [b]Lowe's store!!), and watch the finish just melt away!!

--John Hobbs

grjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Just throw em in a vat of muriatic acid (available at your local [b]Lowe's store!!), and watch the finish just melt away!!

and the wheels become structurally compromised from hydrogen embrittlement

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
and the wheels become structurally compromised from hydrogen embrittlement

Interesting

article says it's usually under high tempreture and this:

Quote:
These tests have shown that austenitic stainless steels, aluminum (including alloys), copper (including alloys, e.g. beryllium copper) are not susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement
So steelies, maybe, alloys no

Jehannum

Quote:

It would be safer and easier to just slather some naval jelly on them (also available at the chinless fuck's store), as a glass vat big enough to hold a wheel is going to be hard to come by.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

Quote:
Why do you need that much spacing?? That sounds excessive.

You have to admit that was a good zinger...

It's all about the offset.

And I admit nothing!!!

Asa of the Infidel Crew

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

to clarify, '02 Mustang wheels have more of an offset, between 1-1.25" than classic Mustang wheels

the wheel lug pattern is the same size, virtually everything else is fine, it's just that late models have a deeper offset

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Alex

just finished painting my motorcycle rims today.

It was a pain to mask since I didn't want to take the tire off so I just used a credit card size piece of plastic to squeeze the masking tape behind the rim lip, Don't know how long it'll last but I'm hoping at least a while till I need new tires and by then I'll just get the rims powdercoated if it doesn't hold up well.

The rim on the right was dented beyond all saving which is why I bought and painted a new one.

side story

The day before last thanksgiving I hit a pot hole doing about 80 on a freeway off ramp (didn't see it in time ), dented both my rims, and completely blew out the undertail of my bike so it was flapping across the rear wheel when I pulled over, it was a miracle that I didn't even fall off the bike or wreck it. The front one was so bad it lost all the air but didnt visibly cause any damage to the tire itself. It looked like someone took a can opener to the side of the front rim, the back one was rideable but still heavily dented. All on my new $400 dollar pirelli angel set with less than 3,000 miles on them. At least now I'll have a nice set of take-offs for when these tires run their course.

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

just finished painting my motorcycle rims today.

It was a pain to mask since I didn't want to take the tire off so I just used a credit card size piece of plastic to squeeze the masking tape behind the rim lip, Don't know how long it'll last but I'm hoping at least a while till I need new tires and by then I'll just get the rims powdercoated if it doesn't hold up well.

The rim on the right was dented beyond all saving which is why I bought and painted a new one.

side story

The day before last thanksgiving I hit a pot hole doing about 80 on a freeway off ramp (didn't see it in time ), dented both my rims, and completely blew out the undertail of my bike so it was flapping across the rear wheel when I pulled over, it was a miracle that I didn't even fall off the bike or wreck it. The front one was so bad it lost all the air but didnt visibly cause any damage to the tire itself. It looked like someone took a can opener to the side of the front rim, the back one was rideable but still heavily dented. All on my new $400 dollar pirelli angel set with less than 3,000 miles on them. At least now I'll have a nice set of take-offs for when these tires run their course.

Sounds like a Stoner Mod story...

--John Hobbs