General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Wow that electrode is shielded all to hell.... Do they suffer from blowout or something? I'd never put a plug like that into my car. I don't even like the dual or worse yet quad tipped ones. Too much shit in the way.

Not to mention the spark getting spread to hell and not igniting the mix like it should.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Aseras

Quote:
Sounds like they aren't too hard to get on a rotary. I wouldn't know.

All mine are right on top at a slight angle like a DOHC honda. The hardest part is removing the coil packs because they have two screws a piece

All you have to do is turn the wheel and pull the flap back. Can easily reach with a regular socket and a 3" extension. The hardest part is getting the damn wires off the plugs without breaking them if you don't have a spark plug wire puller/pliers. You can switch the plugs out in 5 minutes tops. Don't have to remove anything.

Aseras

Quote:
Originally Posted by uRizen View Post
Can you use plugs with a regular electrode in the Rx-8s? My FC uses the marine style electrodes and the proper NGK plugs are fairly expensive. Running two stroke fouls them up pretty quickly.

I run rx7 BUR9's all around in my rx8 in south florida. I premix and have never had a problem. Got better than 110K miles on my first engine ( which died due to a kamikaze pig on the interstate )

Aseras

Quote:
Wow that electrode is shielded all to hell.... Do they suffer from blowout or something? I'd never put a plug like that into my car. I don't even like the dual or worse yet quad tipped ones. Too much shit in the way.

Rotaries inject oil, much like a 2 stroke motor. It can cause ash or soot to build up so they bury the electrode to prevent carbon and crap from getting in there and bridging the gap. The engines are high compression, they can take it and there are 2 plugs per rotor face. Leading and trailing. Theres also scavenging. The timing adjusts. At idle the plugs can reverse firing order to even out rpm and at high rpms the plugs can run split timing and do all kind of weird things. They don't work like piston motors.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
Rotaries inject oil, much like a 2 stroke motor. It can cause ash or soot to build up so they bury the electrode to prevent carbon and crap from getting in there and bridging the gap. The engines are high compression, they can take it and there are 2 plugs per rotor face. Leading and trailing. Theres also scavenging. The timing adjusts. At idle the plugs can reverse firing order to even out rpm and at high rpms the plugs can run split timing and do all kind of weird things. They don't work like piston motors.

So what's the upside? Without turbo it's not fast, with a turbo it dies fast, sometimes they are hard to start, etc

Is Mazda going to keep making these or are they dropping them like they did before?

illig

Quote:
So what's the upside? Without turbo it's not fast, with a turbo it dies fast, sometimes they are hard to start, etc

Is Mazda going to keep making these or are they dropping them like they did before?

i really enjoyed driving an RX-8... you floor it, and when it would be time to shift any other car, the rotary is just getting started... it's really fun to go to such a high redline

so yeah... try driving one, it's... different, but good different

[H]ard|On

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/2014-mazda-rx-8

Seems like they are working on the next gen so it's going to stay - and become a hybrid.

Someone here was talking about a wankel generator electric drive... That sounds interesting but wasteful, as the entire range of RPM won't be needed as much as one narrow range of RPM for max efficiency (ie, diesel). This new RX8 will be a direct drive model though, not a generator EV.

[H]ard|On

Then there is this on the RX8 wiki:

Quote:
In October 2011, Mazda announced a final production run of a special edition RX-8 Spirit R, and confirmed that production for the RX-8 will cease by February 2012 with no replacement in the near term. This would mean that Mazda will no longer have any production rotary engine powered models in its line-up.
I do like how they were only 3050 pounds. like my car. Or a corvette

Bonedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
hell, i paid $8/plug for my truck, $56 before tax

Yikes! Autooooozone!