General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Two THOUSAND Dollars!!

That's what I've got, from selling shine, fucking my nonexistent sister, or selling my dead mother into prostitution, it doesn't matter. What matters is I've got it, and I originally was going to buy a beater, but something a bit decent (aka, sporty), and without FWD if possible.

Original idea was to get a Miata or RWD Celica, perhaps an MR2, to commute in (1.2 miles is a commute, right??), until I get the Lightning cleaned up and properly preserved, before blowing the beater's motor, and turning it into a project vehicle by dropping a V6 or V8 into it.

But I keep rethinking this. I've hit up Craigslist, and it's a fucking field full of fresh dog shit. One car I targeted (link might be gone already) was sold before the afternoon was out; the other I was texting with, got mega flaky on me today, and I've decided to blow him off. And I don't see this getting any better or easier, given how things are these days.

My other alternative is to put most the money into the Lightning (most--some could go toward a new vidcard), but keep daily-driving it at 12mpg. Not ideal, but paid for and working.

I know I might have to cave on the FWD deal, if I indeed do the car thing. I just don't like having to mess with FWD mechanicals, since maintenance on those is such a bitch. Plus I hate torque steer.

I did a bit of fuzzy math on the gas thing: assuming about $60 per week in gas, that's $3120 per year, or 820 gallons (at $3.80 per gallon); at 12mpg, thats about 9850 miles. Assuming a Miata and 25mpg over that mileage, that's 390 gallons per year, or $1380 per year at $3.50 a gallon (regular), for a fuel savings of $1740. So, all other costs being the same (I know they aren't), I can expect to break even in about a year on this investment, give or take. Plus, by cutting mileage AND putting work into the Lightning, and I increase its value as well.

So should I get the beater (I'm in no hurry--after today's , I'm in even less of a hurry); or should I put the money in the truck and wait for another chance in the future?

Dying in a fire, tho apropos, isn't an option right now.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

BMW E30!!!!!!!!

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
BMW E30!!!!!!!!

, for two large?? All it'll have is one tire, seventeen rust holes, a slagged motor, and AIDS.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

might be able to find a Maverick or something
who knows

Asa of the Infidel Crew

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

tex, hear me out on this. you sell the lightning and buy a reliable coupe or sedan with a good mpg

asa

then he'd just have to get a new project car

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Two Gs isn't going to make this easy. Miatas in so cal are abundant but still go for a fair amount, it's almost as bad as e30s for a good one.

For two grand pick one, for three grand pick two:

-fun
-reliable
-not smelly

If you want all three it jumps to 3.5 minimum

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
might be able to find a Maverick or something
who knows

I was thinking along the lines of one of these, can ya imagine how much fun it would be with a V8??

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeawesome View Post
tex, hear me out on this. you sell the lightning and buy a reliable coupe or sedan with a good mpg

Lit flied lice I get egglorr??

--John Hobbs

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

For that princely sum you'll end up with a piece of dogshit equivalent to what the TG guys drove in the Botswana special..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

asa

hell, just find a Focus that's totaled and pull the engine, then swap it in with a 5 speed

not under your budget, but it'd still be fun

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Two Gs isn't going to make this easy. Miatas in so cal are abundant but still go for a fair amount, it's almost as bad as e30s for a good one.

For two grand pick one, for three grand pick two:

-fun
-reliable
-not smelly

If you want all three it jumps to 3.5 minimum

I was afraid that might be the case. The first one I called (no pics in ad) sent me these pics:

Too good to be true, I'm thinking. Given how flaky he was, its no wonder it hasn't sold; plus, it has expired registration and inspection, and no telling what else. And when he got pissy about *when* I was going to show up, and started moving the times around, I figured he was a scammer and bailed. The second one was a '90, 94k, $1800; and disappeared FAST.

Sigh, I'll save an extra $1k and edit the pic.

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
For that princely sum you'll end up with a piece of dogshit equivalent to what the TG guys drove in the Botswana special..

I'd take Oliver or the VW in a heartbeat.

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
hell, just find a Focus that's totaled and pull the engine, then swap it in with a 5 speed

not under your budget, but it'd still be fun

Can ya imagine what fun the Pinto would be?? All those cars behind me trying to get out from behind me, in fear of touching the bumper would blow them up??

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

--John Hobbs