General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
nD[ - Slayer
 
Reasons Marijuana should be legal.

Firstly, it's in the good interest of our administration, economically.

http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread20904.shtml

Thanks to g for the quote.

Quote:
USA -- Milton Friedman is no dopehead. But that's his hallowed name atop the list of more than 500 economists who've signed an open letter asking our Drug War-addled politicians to stop the prohibition of marijuana and instead legalize it and tax it.

The petition asks the president, Congress and state officials to wake up, smell the ganja and look honestly at "The Budgetary Implications of Marijuana Prohibition," a report recently done by Harvard economics professor Jeffrey Miron.

Miron's research shows that if we came to our senses and stopped arresting 700,000 of our fellow Americans for mostly minor marijuana offenses each year, federal and local governments could garner $10 billion to $14 billion in savings and new tax revenues.

About $7.7 billion would be saved on enforcement costs, says Miron, an expert on drug-related crime who conducted his report for the Marijuana Policy Project, a group that works to liberalize marijuana laws.

If pot were taxed like pop, Miron estimates revenues of at least $2.4 billion. Tax pot like society's most hurtful drugs -- booze and tobacco -- and revenues could be $6.2 billion.
This was also taken from - http://www.mjlegal.org/

Quote:
We understand that marijuana, like tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs, can be abused. But the harms associated with marijuana are less than those associated with tobacco and alcohol, and they are not sufficient reason to justify making marijuana illegal. Education and regulation are better options than prohibition.
Moar? http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

Quote:
MYTH: MARIJUANA USE IS A MAJOR CAUSE OF HIGHWAY ACCIDENTS. Like alcohol, marijuana impairs psychomotor function and decreases driving ability. If marijuana use increases, an increase in of traffic fatalities is inevitable.

FACT: There is no compelling evidence that marijuana contributes substantially to traffic accidents and fatalities. At some doses, marijuana affects perception and psychomotor performances- changes which could impair driving ability. However, in driving studies, marijuana produces little or no car-handling impairment- consistently less than produced by low moderate doses of alcohol and many legal medications.
Worried about cancer risks? - http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v05/n1106/a09.htm

How about the father of the Drug War, Harry Anslinger, what did he have to say?

Quote:
The following are excerpts of Mr. Anslinger's testimony before a Senate hearing on marijuana in 1937:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death."

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."
The whole reason the drug is illeagal is because of this son of a bitch, he made his career out of manipulating an almost harmless herb into something that would suposedly make you kill your brother. Our modern drug policy needs to be seriously evaulated, as somehow we're still clinging to ghost stories about addiction, abuse, and cancer.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:23 PM nD[ - Slayer is offline  
Reply With Quote
#1  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

kindred
 
Fuck marijuana. Meth is apparently the drug of choice now. If the Government makes it legal and can control the sales of Meth, they can effectively keep the population drugged and happy. Any unsatisfactory behavior by the people will be met with drug 'shortfalls'. Any questionable government behavior or policies can be smoothed over with drug 'surpluses'. Not only will the government have a veritable gold mine, they will have a docile and obedient population.
__________________
Lord, Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 PM kindred is offline  
Reply With Quote
#2  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred
Fuck marijuana. Meth is apparently the drug of choice now. If the Government makes it legal and can control the sales of Meth, they can effectively keep the population drugged and happy. Any unsatisfactory behavior by the people will be met with drug 'shortfalls'. Any questionable government behavior or policies can be smoothed over with drug 'surpluses'. Not only will the government have a veritable gold mine, they will have a docile and obedient population.
Is that you FreeWilly?

Anyway, I dont think any drug should be illegal. If someone is using dangerous drugs outside their private residence, yes they should be punished, but the government should not regulate what people use for their own enjoyment.

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 07-14-2005 at 01:10 PM..
Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#3  

Heinrich Himmler
Deadside Legion
I sucked off my rabbi for this title
 
Heinrich Himmler's Avatar
 
No one NEEDS to smoke marijuana, good enough reason to not legalize it. I'm up for outlawing cigarettes and booze, myself. Because all they do is kill.

You think you should be allowed to do what you wish to your own body> In other words, you have a death wish? Fine, just blow your brains out. And save your friends and family decades of anguish as you waste away. Save the government thousands in treating your "pain" which will never go away. Save the innocent life you'll hit on the highway because the alcohol or pot made you swerve lanes. You want death, take it, and stop burdening everyone on the way.

Pot is legal in Jamaica and other places, yet once again, you don't like it here but you won't move to the spot you claim is better. I'm sick of listening to pussies whine.
__________________
I am Deadside Legion. The Rapist nameraped me because he is weak and stupid. The holocaust happened, it's undeniable fact.

Prussian Blue should be forced to play Manhunt.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:18 PM Heinrich Himmler is offline  
Reply With Quote
#4  

kindred
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison
Is that you FreeWilly?

Anyway, I dont think any drug should be illegal. If someone is using dangerous drugs outside their private residence, yes they should be punished, but the government should not regulate what people use for their own enjoyment.

You mean the government should throw the pcp addict in jail after he goes on a slaughterfest killing all aliens in sight? or perhaps it should put warning labels on the crack after kids OD on the shit after school?
__________________
Lord, Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 PM kindred is offline  
Reply With Quote
#5  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Himmler
No one NEEDS to smoke marijuana, good enough reason to not legalize it. I'm up for outlawing cigarettes and booze, myself. Because all they do is kill.

You think you should be allowed to do what you wish to your own body> In other words, you have a death wish? Fine, just blow your brains out. And save your friends and family decades of anguish as you waste away. Save the government thousands in treating your "pain" which will never go away. Save the innocent life you'll hit on the highway because the alcohol or pot made you swerve lanes. You want death, take it, and stop burdening everyone on the way.

Pot is legal in Jamaica and other places, yet once again, you don't like it here but you won't move to the spot you claim is better. I'm sick of listening to pussies whine.
Troll=b7
Seriously have you ever posted something that is not a troll?

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 07-14-2005 at 01:24 PM..
Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#6  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred
You mean the government should throw the pcp addict in jail after he goes on a slaughterfest killing all aliens in sight? or perhaps it should put warning labels on the crack after kids OD on the shit after school?
Ever heard of regulation? I said no drugs should be illegal that doesent mean I want meth sold to five year olds. If you had half a fucking brain you could of thought of that yourself. Why is it people always rely on scaremongering when it comes to drugs?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:24 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#7  

at
@
 
at's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Himmler
No one NEEDS to smoke marijuana, good enough reason to not legalize it. I'm up for outlawing cigarettes and booze, myself. Because all they do is kill.

Ban Gen[M]ay! No one NEEDS it!

There is no victim of marijuana use. Therefore there is no reason for it to be illegal. /thread
__________________
blip blip
Old 07-14-2005, 01:35 PM at is offline  
Reply With Quote
#8  

Morris
the cat
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Himmler
No one NEEDS to smoke marijuana, good enough reason to not legalize it. I'm up for outlawing cigarettes and booze, myself. Because all they do is kill.

No one NEEDS to watch TV, no one NEEDS to play video games, no one NEEDS to do a lot of things. It's called leisure. You know, fun. Try having some sometime.

Quote:
You think you should be allowed to do what you wish to your own body> In other words, you have a death wish? Fine, just blow your brains out. And save your friends and family decades of anguish as you waste away. Save the government thousands in treating your "pain" which will never go away. Save the innocent life you'll hit on the highway because the alcohol or pot made you swerve lanes. You want death, take it, and stop burdening everyone on the way.
...What?


Quote:
Pot is legal in Jamaica and other places, yet once again, you don't like it here but you won't move to the spot you claim is better. I'm sick of listening to pussies whine.
Why would we want to go to Jamaica? America is our home, this is where we were born and raised. In fact, hell - why should anyone try to change anything in our country when they can just move somewhere else where that change has already been made?

You disagree with anything this country does? Any law that's ever been instated? Well hey - fuck you, leave.
__________________
The cars zoomed by, brakes screeched all over the place, his parents paid no attention to him, and he kept on walking next to the curb singing "If a body catch a body coming through the rye."
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM Morris is offline  
Reply With Quote
#9  

kindred
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison
Ever heard of regulation? I said no drugs should be illegal that doesent mean I want meth sold to five year olds. If you had half a fucking brain you could of thought of that yourself. Why is it people always rely on scaremongering when it comes to drugs?

Oh I did think of it. I thought, gee, wouldnt it be great if the government regulated all hard drugs just as well as they regulate cigarettes and alcohol? "hey look guys! I got my mom's stash of speed! lets have some fun!"
__________________
Lord, Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:47 PM kindred is offline  
Reply With Quote
#10  

gg
Kato
 
gg's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by at
Ban Gen[M]ay! No one NEEDS it!

There is no victim of marijuana use. Therefore there is no reason for it to be illegal. /thread
I couldn't agree more.
__________________
But women and water are in short supply
There's not enough dope for us all to get high
I hear it gets better, that's what they say
As soon as we sail on to Cane Garden Bay
Old 07-14-2005, 01:50 PM gg is offline  
Reply With Quote
#11  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred
Oh I did think of it. I thought, gee, wouldnt it be great if the government regulated all hard drugs just as well as they regulate cigarettes and alcohol? "hey look guys! I got my mom's stash of speed! lets have some fun!"
So you're saying that because some people are not responsable parents no one should be able to use drugs? That is a tired arguement that could be used for banning anything from handguns to cars. The federal governments purpose is not to take away my property rights to protect children who have bad parents.

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 07-14-2005 at 04:52 PM..
Old 07-14-2005, 01:59 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#12  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred
Fuck marijuana. Meth is apparently the drug of choice now. If the Government makes it legal and can control the sales of Meth, they can effectively keep the population drugged and happy. Any unsatisfactory behavior by the people will be met with drug 'shortfalls'. Any questionable government behavior or policies can be smoothed over with drug 'surpluses'. Not only will the government have a veritable gold mine, they will have a docile and obedient population.
Marijuana is by far the recreational drug of choice the world over, only alcohol and tobacco surpass it in use. Also, I doubt we'd have a very sedate and controllable population if they were all cranked out or withdrawing all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich Himmler
No one NEEDS to smoke marijuana, good enough reason to not legalize it. I'm up for outlawing cigarettes and booze, myself. Because all they do is kill.
ugh, haven't you read anything about how wonderful prohibition works out? We tried alcohol prohibition and we have tried drug prohibition, they were and are spectacular failures. Why would you want more of that? Just set some money on fire, its equally effective.

Quote:
You think you should be allowed to do what you wish to your own body> In other words, you have a death wish? Fine, just blow your brains out. And save your friends and family decades of anguish as you waste away. Save the government thousands in treating your "pain" which will never go away. Save the innocent life you'll hit on the highway because the alcohol or pot made you swerve lanes. You want death, take it, and stop burdening everyone on the way.
You should be able to do what you want to your own body and mind. Ever heard of freedom? It seems basic control over your own mind would be a necessary prerequisite to claiming that you are free. Also, we are wasting time and money making it everyone's problem by criminalizing behaviour that may not be the smartest thing to do but is no more harmful than any number of things you are allowed to do to yourself legally right now. Also the vast majority of alcohol and pot users are responsible individuals, not alcoholics and burned out potheads. Making them into criminals doesn't make you any safer from a drunk or a pothead behind the wheel. Why? because prohibition doesn't work. If it did weed wouldn't be available in every city in the nation. Whats the point in spending tens of billions annually for a completely ineffective program that accomplishes nothing good? You are paying for it.

Quote:
Pot is legal in Jamaica and other places, yet once again, you don't like it here but you won't move to the spot you claim is better. I'm sick of listening to pussies whine.
The number of places it is legal are few and far between thanks to international drug control treaties. It's not even legal in the netherlands, it is merely tolerated in a sort of legal limbo. The amount of money and effort wasted trying to save the world from weed is a joke. Besides, why should anyone have to leave the free country that is their home to be allowed to smoke a non-toxic plant? That is absurd.
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street

Last edited by pyramid; 10-03-2006 at 01:48 PM..
Old 07-14-2005, 02:30 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#13  

PopeKevinI
 
Legalize pot, ban cigarettes and snuff (or just gradually tax them out of the marketplace). I far prefer potheads to chain smokers.
__________________
THIS is your brain on drugs: "I'm not a positive thinker. I am a spiralling hexagonal vortex thinker that strobes multiple colors." -ry_goody
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 PM PopeKevinI is offline  
Reply With Quote
#14  

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED
 
pyramid's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindred
Oh I did think of it. I thought, gee, wouldnt it be great if the government regulated all hard drugs just as well as they regulate cigarettes and alcohol? "hey look guys! I got my mom's stash of speed! lets have some fun!"
As opposed to what we have now? Yes, it would be better. Right now the kids already have the drugs, they don't need to get them from their parents. You seem to be laboring under the impression that drug prohibition actually keeps drugs out of peoples hands. Let me help you out there: IT DOES NOT. Any drug you want is available right now, most likely within a few miles of you if you know where to look. Don't know where to look? Ask a kid, they know. Prohibition just ensures that the drugs are as dangerous as they possibly can be and removes any legal control over sales. Kids report that it is easier for them to get pot than alcohol. Why? Because your local pot dealer doesn't ask for ID, just cash. Don't believe me? Here are some charts of high school self reported drug availability and use going back several decades, courtesy of the government:
http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/d...ta/pr04t13.pdf
http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/d...ata/pr04t1.pdf

from: http://www.monitoringthefuture.org/
__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_Are_Due_on_Maple_Street
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 PM pyramid is offline  
Reply With Quote
#15  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.