General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
Shaving is still $35x4 or something, but most other shops like Discount Tire don't and simply bully you into getting a set of four, even if you have newer tires.

They have to cover their ass legally, and push rubber so they'll tell you there's no other way out.

This is another reason I'm glad i don't need AWD in southern cali

$25-$35 + the cost of the new tire times one or two. if you have three or four bad tires, you'd get a new set anyway.

most shops do not have tire lathes so all they can offer you is four new matching tires. Even tire rack only has 2 tire lathes spread across the entire country. They don't really exist outside of dedicated race shops. You can't just have Manuel throw a tire on the balance machine and stand there with a cheese grater.

If a shop puts mismatched tires on your AWD, then they could be liable for the damages that incur and the AWD OEM will void your warranty and make you pay up for that nice new AWD diff and you get to go after the tire shop in court.

All I'm saying and all Tire Rack is saying is what AWD OEMs say. Don't do it.

And I believe them.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

lol oops yeah I dont know why I added x4, youd only need to shave the one.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
You can't just have Manuel throw a tire on the balance machine and stand there with a cheese grater.

Thermo1223

She got taken...all automatic Subaru's use an electronic diff in the rear. If the difference was that big the car would disable the AWD itself.

The problem is people are all sue happy so the shop just wants to cover it's ass. Technically also 4 good tires on AWD works better & is more predictable in handling than 3/2/1 shit tires.

Same reason they refuse to fix a leak unless it is in the exact center of the tread. Someone patched one close to the sidewall on a shity tire and it failed. So someone spilled their soda I bet and sued...whambalance.
Range - GTFO god :rolleyes:

brown card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post
She got taken...all automatic Subaru's use an electronic diff in the rear. If the difference was that big the car would disable the AWD itself.

Iiiintredasting

DopefishLives
The Artist Formerly Known As StratocasterMaster, I was so [H]ard Kyle could feel it in Texas and got

Quote:
Tire rack will shave your one new tire to size instead of selling you a complete set of four.

I refuse to run different size tires on all our AWD cars but the cost of a set of tires is fairly trivial to us.

Honestly, I'd put a matched set of takeoff tires on one of our cars before mismatching.

You could run different sizes on all four wheels and the drivetrain components would not care; however your ABS might pitch a fit.

I'm unsure how Subaru approaches AWD, but current Audi longitudinal systems (Similar design since ~1995) use open differentials front and rear and a TORSEN center differential. This system is infinitely dynamic to varying corner grip, wheel acceleration, and wheel diameter. Early (1st & 2nd Quattro systems) had three open diffs with a vacuum-actuated center-differential lock. I'm omitting any of the race or aftermarket Quattro systems that may see an impact to such changes since we are talking about standard road cars.

Quote:
You can't just have Manuel throw a tire on the balance machine and stand there with a cheese grater.

In all honesty though, you said there was 'some tread left' on the other three; it is likely that her tires were near or at the wear indicators and their push for four tires was a safe and reasonable move. It is scary how often I see cars below the wear indicators or showing cord due to uneven wear or being kept well past their useable life.

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Do you work with cars?

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo1223 View Post

The problem is people are all sue happy so the shop just wants to cover it's ass. Technically also 4 good tires on AWD works better & is more predictable in handling than 3/2/1 shit tires.

Same reason they refuse to fix a leak unless it is in the exact center of the tread. Someone patched one close to the sidewall on a shity tire and it failed. So someone spilled their soda I bet and sued...whambalance.

Makes sense

DreamWarrior

Audi AWD here and my wife punctured a rear tire recently -- Pep Boys (which didn't have a good replacement anyway) wouldn't just change one, they wanted to do all four. I knew they were ting me and told them to fuck off. The Audi dealer could get the same tire that was on the car, and would replace just the tires on the rear.

I suppose it can depend on the AWD system, but Audi (as mentioned above) dynamically balance the front/rear, so same tires on one axle is good enough. Hell, it'd probably be fine depending on how much tread wear was left on the opposing tire, but there were enough miles on the rears that it wasn't a big deal to me to replace them both. Hell, the front will probably need it by the next service, but may as well wear 'em down.

brown card

Why aren't the carmakers more forthcoming with this kind of information?

To many people I think the idea of needing to replace four tires every time they drive over a nail would be a major detractor... If they ended this superstitious myth as some of you claim it to be... then they'd get more sales...

brown card

eh.. probably not good to bring up any disadvantages whatsoever

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Audi AWD here and my wife punctured a rear tire recently -- Pep Boys (which didn't have a good replacement anyway) wouldn't just change one, they wanted to do all four. I knew they were ting me and told them to fuck off. The Audi dealer could get the same tire that was on the car, and would replace just the tires on the rear.

I suppose it can depend on the AWD system, but Audi (as mentioned above) dynamically balance the front/rear, so same tires on one axle is good enough. Hell, it'd probably be fine depending on how much tread wear was left on the opposing tire, but there were enough miles on the rears that it wasn't a big deal to me to replace them both. Hell, the front will probably need it by the next service, but may as well wear 'em down.

If you work the maths out it's something like a few revolutions worth of difference PER MILE for a .25 inch height difference. We covered that above. You get much more variation than that between the different wheels just by driving on curvy roads. So even without the zomgdynamic stuff it would still be fine, as long as the height of the wheels isn't off by more than a quarter inch or so, for a typical modern car size wheel.

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown card View Post
Iiiintredasting

LULZ

While my quick explanation is a little limited and before an AWD troll corrects me. Yes there is a mechanical link fore - aft however the eletrovclutchmakerthingwheelsturn is usually set at a 60/40 split. If the difference was big enough to worry even the ABS as mentioned previously the car's ECU can disable the AWD. IN FACT there is a fuse under the hood to do just that in case you need to tow without a flatbed. Depending on the model you can also have a mechanical LSD in the rear diff as well.

The worst as a previously noted is unpredictable handling. However if you have manual trans it is 50/50 via a mechanical torsen diff in the center so unless you drop out the driveshaft those wheels keep on turning.

Some tire dealers are just STUPID, luckily not all are.

The clutch is located right at the tail of the transmission, the rear diff is just that a dumb rear diff.

Typhoon43

If you're going to change all 4 corners to match tread depth, I assume you are the same person that checks their tire pressure in all 4 tires every day, because lord knows that can change your rolling diameter more than a few 32nd's of tread depth. WTF is wrong with people?

Thermo1223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
If you're going to change all 4 corners to match tread depth, I assume you are the same person that checks their tire pressure in all 4 tires every day, because lord knows that can change your rolling diameter more than a few 32nd's of tread depth. WTF is wrong with people?

I measure my tires every morning before work.....

with a yard stick