General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

New Motor for the '31 Coupe

Haven't made any progress on my coupe...still trying to sell my roadster before I start dumping time and money into it. However, I am now the proud new owner of a nice piece of traditional hot-rod history.

My coupe has a new heartbeat now. A 283 out of a '57 Chevy. My goal is to keep this car period correct for a late 50's early 60's build, and this motor fits the bill perfectly. Although, instead of putting double humps, I might splurge and find some modern dart heads to put on the motor to help it come alive. Also plan on another set of 3x2's...hopefully stromberg 97's this time if I can come up with enough cash.

Mmmmm...old school cool.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

How many HP?

J Mel

Stock & base 283's had about 180hp...this was likely a stock...note the single 2 barrel carb intake. You could get them with about 280hp with multiple carbs, even fuel injection back in the late 50's.

I anticipate and hoping for around 300hp when I'm done. However, the power and fun in these is in the short stroke. These are high winding screamers. Should be a lot of fun. Will bore it out if I can...depending on block. The very earlier ones were bored out 265's...if thats the case, i'd be limited on how much I can bore it out. Power will come from pistons, better heads (perhaps aluminum dart), and multiple carbs (planning on running another 3x2 setup like my 350 in my roadster).

lollersk8s
HOLY FUCK I AM RETARDED

wow, thats not too bad at all

i was thinking like 90

J Mel

Should be a screamer. Have a th350 lined up already but toying with putting a 4 speed in it. Depends on room and seating position I end up with and if I have room to operate a clutch. It'll have more room than my roadster as model As are significantly larger than Model Ts...also since this one will not be channelled. However it's still not a big car and I'm still 6'3 with big feet. So clutch may still not be an option.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollersk8s View Post
wow, thats not too bad at all

i was thinking like 90

Oh god no...that's 30s flathead power. Which is why I won't own a flathead. I could spend about 10k and maybe possibly be sniffing 180-200hp range. Even the 265s are well over 100hp.

ZMan
title fixed for good of forums

bump for progress now that the roadster is sold!
'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2l
'13 F-150 Ecoboost

J Mel

Waiting for parts to come in now....but am going to hold tight until I get a title. Don't want to put any more money or time into it until its legally mine. Turns out, Texas is becoming an asshole to hot-rodders and obtaining titles for non-titled vehicles is becoming more and more difficult and expensive.

Who woulda thunk that a flimsy piece of paper would be hard to keep track of after 85 years and multiple owners.