General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
It's still tacking on something unnecessary to the point of the bill. Assault weapons bans are in place in numerous states. To tack it on to a vote for representation is disingenous in itself. Republicans know they are making Democrats look bad by forcing them to decline support for this bill.

It would be the equivalent of Democrats generating a bill that gives more funding to police and eductaion, but the Republicans would have to allow abortion or remove capital punishment.

Um No.

The bill is about constitutional guarantees. Two of which are withheld from residents of DC. Adding the second to the first bill is well in line with the purpose of the bill. Assuring DC is in compliance with the bill of rights.

While education has nothing at all to do with capital punishment.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Um No.

The bill is about constitutional guarantees. Two of which are withheld from residents of DC. Adding the second to the first bill is well in line with the purpose of the bill. Assuring DC is in compliance with the bill of rights.

While education has nothing at all to do with capital punishment.

If the Republicans actually cared about getting voting rights for citizens of DC, they wouldn't have added the gun legislation on there.

But of course the Republicans don't want DC to get representation, since DC would be an automatic Democratic vote. So they tack on something the Democrats won't vote for and kill the bill. Politics as usual. You're crazy if you think this is about constitutional principle.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
If the Republicans actually cared about getting voting rights for citizens of DC, they wouldn't have added the gun legislation on there.

But of course the Republicans don't want DC to get representation, since DC would be an automatic Democratic vote. So they tack on something the Democrats won't vote for and kill the bill. Politics as usual. You're crazy if you think this is about constitutional principle.

Why wont the democrats vote for it? It's part of the guarantees they say DC should have.

this should be the perfect bipartisan bill. Both sides get the part of the constitutional rights they want re affirmed.

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Quote:
DC is not a state so it does not get representation. I don't know if it is barred from statehood.
But the residents born there should be able to select a bordering state as state of residence in order to have representation. Those moving there should retain their state of origin.

Yeah, I know it's not a state and all, but doesn't that shorthand the residents since they really can't force the government's hand on anything? You really shouldn't have to move to have a representitive in the federal government, in my view. Our national capital region is represented with seats in it's home province, so it has representation federally.

TheMorlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Yeah, I know it's not a state and all, but doesn't that shorthand the residents since they really can't force the government's hand on anything? You really shouldn't have to move to have a representitive in the federal government, in my view. Our national capital region is represented with seats in it's home province, so it has representation federally.

I dont know the reasoning behind it. Only thing I can think of is that it could give the party in power and advantage.

Gibonius

Quote:
Why wont the democrats vote for it? It's part of the guarantees they say DC should have.

this should be the perfect bipartisan bill. Both sides get the part of the constitutional rights they want re affirmed.

The bill would already have relaxed gun restrictions, and the Dems (reluctantly) were ready to vote for it. The Republicans ratcheted it up to assault weapons because they knew it would kill the bill. They probably thought the first batch of gun rights would have killed it, for that matter.

TheMorlock

the ones with the shoulder thing that goes up? Yeah we need to keep those banned.

Xayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I've got news for the Dems and everyone else trying to keep the strict gun laws in DC.....if your ass happens to get capped on the streets of DC, I'll bet everything I have that it won't be by a registered gun owner with a concealed carry permit..

edit- and stricter gun laws won't do anything to lessen the chance of said capping..

the US is the only country on earth. furthermore, other countries on....erm...other planets (YEA THAT'S IT) that don't allow private ownership of handguns have equal or higher crime and murder rates as the US...

OOPS, DISREGARD

Gibonius

Quote:
the ones with the shoulder thing that goes up? Yeah we need to keep those banned.

I'm not saying it's a particularly rational objection from the Democrats, but there's no Constitutional right to carry assault weapons. The Republicans added in it to kill the bill and it worked, the end.

SemperFly

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a particularly rational objection from the Democrats, but there's no Constitutional right to carry assault weapons. The Republicans added in it to kill the bill and it worked, the end.

"right to bear arms" pretty much covers carrying assault weapons

I do agree that riders in general are stupid and shouldn't be allowed.

Gibonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
"right to bear arms" pretty much covers carrying assault weapons
The Supreme Court addressed that in the DC case last year, the assault weapon bans are Constitutional but blanket bans are not. We can have whatever opinions we want, but their opinions count and ours don't.

SemperFly

Quote:
The Supreme Court addressed that in the DC case last year, the assault weapon bans are Constitutional but blanket bans are not. We can have whatever opinions we want, but their opinions count and ours don't.

are you sure that's what heller said? I tried to wrap my head around the whole decision but from my understanding they pointed out that bans on assault weapons ends up ignoring the militia aspect of the second amendment

edit: hold on, reading it again.

edit2: thanks scalia, you fat fucking wop

Xayd

no, thank reagan, that's who appointed scalia.

he's a helluva lot worse than that, he's a blatant hypocrite.

topcat989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xayd View Post
the US is the only country on earth. furthermore, other countries on....erm...other planets (YEA THAT'S IT) that don't allow private ownership of handguns have equal or higher crime and murder rates as the US...

OOPS, DISREGARD

ummm, yeah

Quote:
What all of this means is that we cannot draw any simple nationwide conclusions about gun crime. What we can say with certainty is that gun crime is a problem that remains closely focused in some cities that have witnessed some terrible deaths.
and anyways, how do you corralate a "lower crime rate" with strict control laws...as in how do you rule out other factors such as we let criminal fucktards run amok here because of liberal fags crying about how poor lil innocet chillins didn't really mean to do those 7 drive bys, 4 armed robberies, and a whole shitload of etc & misc crimes, so we shouldn't punish them...?

Xayd

i corrolate 'lower crime rate' with 'lower crime rate'.

if you wanna argue the rest of your , post them one by one and i'll dispel them one by one.