General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

zeos

et tu spicoli, et tu

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

go to about 2:55

sean penn you so crazy. i wonder if he really believes this or if he has been drinking bong water. no matter which way your political douche baggery leans i think we can all agree that free speech is the most important human right. it also funny how this was said shortly after chavez had one of his detractors in the media arrested.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...442323964.html

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/tim...havez-dictator

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/maria-c...tter-sean-penn

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

tanner9072

"we're hypnotized by the media"
-- Sean Penn (while on "the media")

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Does he mean the 80% that was rioting over his policies?

The Media portrays him as a buffoon? All they do is roll tape and he does the rest himself. No MM style editing liberties needed.

As an actor Sean is way overrated.

As a political pundit he is probably on par with Danny "Castro is the coolest" Glover.

Patriotic Eagle

Boo hoo. Free speech is not the most important human right, having a decent standard of living is which is why people keep voting for Chavez. I don't give a shit what Sean Penn thinks.

möbiustrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Eagle View Post
Boo hoo. Free speech is not the most important human right, having a decent standard of living is which is why people keep voting for Chavez. I don't give a shit what Sean Penn thinks.
If you can't speak freely, "vote" doesn't mean anything important.

I'm not interested what anyone who fucked Madonna has to say about access to dreams.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

So let me get this straight..the stoner from Fast Times at Ridgemont High is highly critical of everything the (non Democratic party) US government does, yet he is willing to overlook the not so good things about Chavez because he allowed him to buy mass quantities of narcotics? Makes sense to me..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Patriotic Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by möbiustrip View Post
If you can't speak freely, "vote" doesn't mean anything important.

I'm not interested what anyone who fucked Madonna has to say about access to dreams.

Actually many peoples material situation under Chavez has improved, so obviously it does mean something?

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Two things:

1) Due process is a much more important civil right than free speech.

2) Chavez really does have massive popular support at home, the minority that opposes him is the ownership class that is sad to see their virtual feudal control of Latin America evaporating.

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

So..

You can have due process, or you can have free speech...but not together. Gotcha

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/········\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
Two things:

1) Due process is a much more important civil right than free speech.

... unless shitty laws are being 'well' applied.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
... unless shitty laws are being 'well' applied.

I don't know what you mean by that but I find the black hole style detainment that exists for folks in gitmo and various blacksites around the world far more terrifying than censorship.

Think about the idea that you could just disappear because the government says so, lose all personal autonomy without any opportunity for people to know or help you.

bobsmith

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by that but I find the black hole style detainment that exists for folks in gitmo and various blacksites around the world far more terrifying than censorship.

Think about the idea that you could just disappear because the government says so, lose all personal autonomy without any opportunity for people to know or help you.

Absolutely, but without free speech and the protections it provides media outlets, we might never have known about extraordinary rendition at all. Like mobi said, I don't think you can trust yourself (or others) to make informed, accurate voting decisions under the umbrella of censorship.

tanner9072

Quote:

the importance of any particular right varies depending on the situation it is applied to. just because freedom of press/speech is the "1st" amendment, does not necessarily mean it takes precedent over all others. for example, does the due process (5th) amendment necessarily supersede the cruel and unusual punishment (8th) amendment just because of its chronological order?
all rights are important in their own regard simply because they apply to specific details of a wide array of possibilities.

or thats what i think

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:

He means you are retarded. You can pass all kinds of laws that let you do what you want to the section of the populace that you perceive as a threat. If it's against the law to speak out about it then you are fucked and cant change anything because you Dont Fucking Know about it and if you do you must remain silent or GASP get locked up after due process finds you guilty.

bingstudent
I am an idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
He means you are retarded. You can pass all kinds of laws that let you do what you want to the section of the populace that you perceive as a threat. If it's against the law to speak out about it then you are fucked and cant change anything because you Dont Fucking Know about it and if you do you must remain silent or GASP get locked up after due process finds you guilty.

This already happens in america today under "free speech" conditions ...

( the part about passing tons of shitty laws ... not the part about being thrown in prison for speaking out ... speaking out doesn't matter ... the economic elites still invariably control the media message the average person hears )