General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLLFiRe View Post
People that ridicule religion because of science are just as bad as the reverse was for Galileo Galilei.

except science is made up of testable truths and religion is made up of antiquated fairytales. what's so hard to grasp about that?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#91  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Really? That's the road you want to go down?

Last religious outbreak regarding that done by Christians? Ended in 1834. I don't know what you're talking about that occurred in 1992

Last atheist lead attack on a religion? Ended in 1945

Seriously, you guys take the Crusades and the Inquisition and act like it's still happening.

Hitler denounced God for Germany. He said the only god was Germany. Other writings show he was not religious but at the most a deist. So either atheist/agnostic/or simply deist, that's proof right there that religions are not the only ones that caused issues.

30+ years of christian terrorism against abortion providers and the christian-lead movement to undermine science education in america aren't exactly inquisitions, but they're pretty good indicators that religious idiots are still working hard to throw a wrench into the entire 'rationalist humanism' thing.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#92  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
30+ years of christian terrorism against abortion providers and the christian-lead movement to undermine science education in america aren't exactly inquisitions, but they're pretty good indicators that religious idiots are still working hard to throw a wrench into the entire 'rationalist humanism' thing.

Largest mass muderers in history?

Josef Stalin and Mao Tse Tung combined for over 100 million deaths.

The Holocaust? Six million.

Oh yea--Stalin and Mao were atheists.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:44 AM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#93  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangels View Post
Because they're fucking stupid and they can vote

Whoops--I go to church every Sunday and voted for Obama. Thanks for playing.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 AM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#94  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
30+ years of christian terrorism against abortion providers and the christian-lead movement to undermine science education in america aren't exactly inquisitions, but they're pretty good indicators that religious idiots are still working hard to throw a wrench into the entire 'rationalist humanism' thing.

Here's a fun graph of "Christian" terrorism against abortion clinics in the last 15 or so years:



Yep. No nothing since 2001, no murders since 1998.

What's more, it's pretty retarded to assume that because people are blowing up clinics in the name of "Christianity" that anyone in mainstream Christian society actually supports them. Unlike many Muslim extremist sympathizers, there really aren't any Christian extremist sympathizers in mainstream Christianity. These bombings and murders are denounced by practically every serious Christian church in America.

Let's figure up how many atheists on the street in LA have robbed someone for cash and killed them. And we'll call it an atheist-led movement against liquor stores. Well, at least an atheist led movement against the cash in the drawer at the liquor store.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 AM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#95  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
Largest mass muderers in history?

Josef Stalin and Mao Tse Tung combined for over 100 million deaths.

The Holocaust? Six million.

Oh yea--Stalin and Mao were atheists.

Historical number games are silly, it can just as easily be asserted that christian european settlers killed over 100 million indigenous americans in the new world, that doesn't make christianity responsible for economically motivated murder anymore than atheism is responsible for communism's famines. Unless your contention is that leaders of hungry nations should pray for food and it will work, then your "godless communists!" arguments are a worthless addition to this thread.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#96  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
Whoops--I go to church every Sunday and voted for Obama. Thanks for playing.

broken clock.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:59 PM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#97  

bingstudent
I am an idiot!
 
bingstudent's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
Here's a fun graph of "Christian" terrorism against abortion clinics in the last 15 or so years:



Yep. No nothing since 2001, no murders since 1998.

What's more, it's pretty retarded to assume that because people are blowing up clinics in the name of "Christianity" that anyone in mainstream Christian society actually supports them. Unlike many Muslim extremist sympathizers, there really aren't any Christian extremist sympathizers in mainstream Christianity. These bombings and murders are denounced by practically every serious Christian church in America.

Let's figure up how many atheists on the street in LA have robbed someone for cash and killed them. And we'll call it an atheist-led movement against liquor stores. Well, at least an atheist led movement against the cash in the drawer at the liquor store.

1) your graph comes from a non-qualified blog that quotes phyllis schlafly in the most recent post, pretty good indication that it's not free from bias on the issue of anti-abortion violence.

2) you're living under a rock if you don't think violence against abortion providers and receivers is tolerated and even nurtured by mainstream christian america's desperation in its message against abortion and acceptance of militant anti-abortion attitudes (anyone that claims abortion is morally equivalent to murder is guilty of this).

3) I never claimed anti-abortion terrorism was a "christian-lead movement" - (although it clearly is since the proponents of it all seem to be christian) - I pointed out that anti-scientific education is a christian-lead movement, in america this is predominantly true.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:19 PM bingstudent is offline  
Reply With Quote
#98  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
Largest mass muderers in history?

Josef Stalin and Mao Tse Tung combined for over 100 million deaths.

The Holocaust? Six million.

Oh yea--Stalin and Mao were atheists.

Whoa you're numbers are way off buddy they killed at least a billion people. What a dumass
Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#99  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
1) your graph comes from a non-qualified blog that quotes phyllis schlafly in the most recent post, pretty good indication that it's not free from bias on the issue of anti-abortion violence.

2) you're living under a rock if you don't think violence against abortion providers and receivers is tolerated and even nurtured by mainstream christian america's desperation in its message against abortion and acceptance of militant anti-abortion attitudes (anyone that claims abortion is morally equivalent to murder is guilty of this).

3) I never claimed anti-abortion terrorism was a "christian-lead movement" - (although it clearly is since the proponents of it all seem to be christian) - I pointed out that anti-scientific education is a christian-lead movement, in america this is predominantly true.

Addressing your points:

1) The blog simply took information from prochoice.org and put it in graph form, where it's a little more readable. Not only is the information correct, but it's from a source well biased from the other side of the argument.

2) I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here, but as someone who almost assuredly has more experience with mainstream Christianity from the inside than you do, I believe I can safely say you're wrong here. And I'm sure if I felt like taking the 30 odd seconds to google "Christians denounce abortion violence" I'd find all kinds of prominent people speaking out against it.

3) You can't really say "I never claimed anti-abortion terrorism was a "christian-lead movement" but then say "but it is!" In which case, my previous arguments stand. I will go ahead and agree with you that most anti-science movements in America are Christian led. Doesn't really have anything to do with any of the other arguments, though.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#100  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
broken clock.

Or maybe your broad generalizations are just a wee bit...broad?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 PM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#101  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingstudent View Post
Unless your contention is that leaders of hungry nations should pray for food and it will work, then your "godless communists!" arguments are a worthless addition to this thread.

Then, how the hell is abortion bombings by radicals any more relevant to this thread? These people are no more mainstream Christians than Nero.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 PM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#102  

Vote McCain!
Retardism
 
Vote McCain!'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Hitler denounced God for Germany. He said the only god was Germany. Other writings show he was not religious but at the most a deist. So either atheist/agnostic/or simply deist, that's proof right there that religions are not the only ones that caused issues.

dont include atheists in that list

It isn't one religion that is causing problems, it is the blind faith in all of them and the denunciation of rational thought and scientific observation that leads people to do irrational and even violent things in the hopes that when they die, they will get into heaven to see Jesus/Allah/Buddha/72 virigns/what-the-fuck-ever.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 PM Vote McCain! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#103  

loner
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
It isn't one religion that is causing problems, it is the blind faith in all of them and the denunciation of rational thought and scientific observation that leads people to do irrational and even violent things in the hopes that when they die, they will get into heaven to see Jesus/Allah/Buddha/72 virigns/what-the-fuck-ever.

Or maybe it's the belief in rational thought and scientific observation that leads one to believe that this life on earth is all we have, that there is no endgame other than what is here, so why not rape, murder, and pillage to your heart's content, because it doesn't matter anyway (see: all kinds of people).

I'm not saying religion hasn't caused tons of problems in the past and present, I'm just saying that atheism isn't the cure.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM loner is offline  
Reply With Quote
#104  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
Or maybe it's the belief in rational thought and scientific observation that leads one to believe that this life on earth is all we have, that there is no endgame other than what is here, so why not rape, murder, and pillage to your heart's content, because it doesn't matter anyway (see: all kinds of people).

Demonstrably false.
__________________
.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#105  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.