General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
UTRocketMan
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Religious people weren't quite as likely to be fundamentalists though. That's a more modern trend.

You're correct about that, the Christian right started into politics in the early seventies or so in response to a large number of more "liberal" supreme court cases and movements (banning prayer in school, the growing number of divorces, etc).

Still, given that the country was largely more religious in the 1960's, it makes one wonder about the causes for such a divisive debate. We had religion then and we still did great things, why not now (if that is truly the cause of us falling back in the fields of science. I'd personally assign blame to not contributing more of our GDP directly to education and science)?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM UTRocketMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
#121  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

adm01
 
I just wanted to point out that believing in God, the Bible, and living as a Christian in the purest sense of the word does not equal believing in religion. I think religion sucks, and I think people make religion suck. Being a Christian has nothing to do with fear, nothing to do with hate, and nothing to do with a "neurological disorder."
__________________
1967a5a85c58775ef051306272cc260a

1174754806

1311983500

7cc3749e893a82cce17373471c47e939 [pornmay.com]
Old 07-19-2009, 03:19 AM adm01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#122  

?psalus
Apsalus
 
Western religions are fucked up. The people that buy into them even more so.

Posted because this was on the FP. I'm out.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 AM ?psalus is offline  
Reply With Quote
#123  

aphex
 
Personally I'm a devout atheist, however, I find religion fascinating and have spent a lot of time studying western and eastern philosophies and understanding why people choose one path over another.

That said - I won't force my opinion on anyone else and I expect the same in return (heh). Believe what you want to believe.
__________________
Linux on an AMD processor: an OS for people who dont use deoderant with a CPU for people who can't afford deoderant
Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 AM aphex is offline  
Reply With Quote
#124  

Kevlar
Suga Momma
 
Kevlar's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
Seems like you've met some pretty shitty "Christians"

We're not all like that but I really don't see the point in trying to convince you otherwise when your mind is already made up.

qft
__________________
Obamacons, & you thought the Decepticons were bad!

Creating work for others to clean up & then calling it a contribution is like me throwing up at a party & saying I brought some dessert-Sanjay
Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 AM Kevlar is offline  
Reply With Quote
#125  

Stanch
 
I would need to see some unprecedented evidence to conclude that religion was a physiological disorder. Because that's what "neurological" implies. I'd actually be quite interested.

A disorder of thinking, and nothing more, I could buy with the evidence on hand. Pace McKenna, neurosis is kind of an obsolete concept as is most of psychoanalysis except as it applies to artistic productions.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 AM Stanch is offline  
Reply With Quote
#126  

Vote McCain!
Retardism
 
Vote McCain!'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-naga View Post
Good to know genmay has a few of these thinkers around. I agree, science does more damage than good, it causes more anxiety than it does relax.

Think about the quility of your life and you will realize that everything you just said is complete and utter . Think very hard about the progress over the past 400 years that is thanks ENTIRELY to modern scientific thought; without it, you wouldn't have the ability to be a dumbshit on the internet.

If science scares you so much, then go ahead and find comfort in your fairy tales.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM Vote McCain! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#127  

Vote McCain!
Retardism
 
Vote McCain!'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loner View Post
I don't see why it's so hard to understand that a person claiming to be a Christian can actually just be a crazy doing terrible things, and that it's not actually anything in the religion promoting said acts.

Just because someone believes that abortion is a terrible thing doesn't mean they're going to blow up a clinic, Christian or atheist (and yes, there are plenty of atheists who are pro-life from their own life experience). Only someone who is insane would. It doesn't matter if they thought "Jesus told them to do it" or not--they're still plenty crazy. But they can be crazy and not Christian, too.

Whether or not the religion itself, the demagogues, or its followers are promoting such things, the fact is that these people use their religion to justify what they have done.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 PM Vote McCain! is offline  
Reply With Quote
#128  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote McCain! View Post
Think about the quility of your life and you will realize that everything you just said is complete and utter . Think very hard about the progress over the past 400 years that is thanks ENTIRELY to modern scientific thought; without it, you wouldn't have the ability to be a dumbshit on the internet.

If science scares you so much, then go ahead and find comfort in your fairy tales.

And without religion, half the stuff you hold dear to would have been lost.

Christian Monks, Muslim scholars all saved works of science, math, and writings from complete destruction. Not only that but some of them also furthered scientific thinking.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#129  

BoxyBrown
 
BoxyBrown's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
And without religion, half the stuff you hold dear to would have been lost.

Christian Monks, Muslim scholars all saved works of science, math, and writings from complete destruction. Not only that but some of them also furthered scientific thinking.

Newton
Mendel
Copernicus

All were christians. I guess they were fundamentalists though, especially that Copernicus bastard, because he's the one who took the earth out of the center of the universe.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM BoxyBrown is offline  
Reply With Quote
#130  

ry_goody
 
ry_goody's Avatar
 
Let me remind you all

these are scientific rational atheists

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


A great culmination of the scientific rational atheist movement is dressing up in a costume from an action movie then passive agressively standing outside of some institutionalized busisness cool
Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM ry_goody is offline  
Reply With Quote
#131  

rCeAaNd_tYhOiUs
 
I disagree that it should be considered a disorder. I think religion has such a hold on society because we are still a relatively new species, and we haven't given up the tribal nature just yet.

I do think we should speak out against it though, as it has caused the most harm in the world. Faith is not a virtue, it is belief without evidence, and that should be ridiculed rather than admired.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 AM rCeAaNd_tYhOiUs is offline  
Reply With Quote
#132  

rcpilot
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
And without religion, half the stuff you hold dear to would have been lost.

Christian Monks, Muslim scholars all saved works of science, math, and writings from complete destruction. Not only that but some of them also furthered scientific thinking.
And how often were these religions saving shit from being destroyed by another religion? And just how much knowledge has religion destroyed or suppressed throughout history? These minor pluses don't make up for it in my opinion.

And as to the actual topic, depending on the degree, I'd definitely consider religion to be a neurological disorder. Sure there are a huge number of people now in the developed world who are pretty much 'religious in name only.' But on the other hand throughout the world and to a certain extent in the states there are a lot of religious people who are just completely off the deep end.

Yes, science is pushy in its 'brainwashing techniques' in our modern world, but the most important part of science any person should grasp is the need to analyze everything. And asking you to consider making connections between evidence that seems pretty related or interconnected is a bit different from telling you to believe something with absolutely no evidence at all.

Fundamentalist religion tends to lead you to a place where questioning your own thoughts is held in complete contempt if those thoughts have anything to do with your religion, that's not a good place for any human to be.
__________________
Member of the Gen[M]ay Supra Club

1984 Supra P-Type, AKA I like pumping hand bulbs to support my lower back

Last edited by rcpilot; 07-21-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 AM rcpilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
#133  

Coqui
 
Coqui's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot View Post
And how often were these religions saving shit from being destroyed by another religion? And just how much knowledge has religion destroyed or suppressed throughout history? These minor pluses don't make up for it in my opinion..

Closemindedness is not just for the religious.
__________________
I lack boobs and have a penis
Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM Coqui is offline  
Reply With Quote
#134  

rcpilot
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Closemindedness is not just for the religious.
Outright seeking out and destroying harmless things you don't agree with goes a fair bit beyond that. I know what you're getting at regarding the fact that some idiots think they know better than everyone, and sometimes those idiots have power. But most of the major religions specifically condone the practice of suppression of outside ideas. And my response was directed at your comment that religion had done overall good for society by saving knowledge.

They would've done far better things if ideas hadn't been suppressed by them on the whole in the first place.
__________________
Member of the Gen[M]ay Supra Club

1984 Supra P-Type, AKA I like pumping hand bulbs to support my lower back

Last edited by rcpilot; 07-21-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 AM rcpilot is offline  
Reply With Quote
#135  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.