General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Gibonius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
You're an idiot if you think that just because I'm for the death penalty that means I'm against giving people the right to appeal their case.

Where'd you come up with that

So.....the entire "A BULLET IS SO MUCH CHEAPER LOLOLOL" thing is completely pointless, because the guaranteed appeal is going to cost more than life in prison by default. The death penalty isn't cheaper, and it will never be cheaper.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM Gibonius is offline  
Reply With Quote
#121  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
So.....the entire "A BULLET IS SO MUCH CHEAPER LOLOLOL" thing is completely pointless, because the guaranteed appeal is going to cost more than life in prison by default. The death penalty isn't cheaper, and it will never be cheaper.

And how much is an appeal?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#122  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
I agree with your sentiment here but as the current situation stands Imprisonment is a further expense to the victims of the crimes (excepting victimless crimes)

Perhaps people would be more inclined to support Life Imprisonment if the criminal were made to repay his damages to the victim.
As our system currently stands revenge is the only recompense a victim has (which is very sad)

How is it a further expense to the families?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#123  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Tell that to the families of the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing

Ok. Life imprisonment served it's purpose and a terminally ill man being released to die in his home is a pretty understandable ruling. On the other hand letting the murderers who perpetrated the attacks on Iran airflight 655 and Cuban airflight 455 roam free are shining examples of injustice.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:28 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#124  

Defiler
 
I don't have a fundamental problem with the whole "Eye for an eye" concept. That being said, In a world where our justice system was perfect in every way, I would support the death penalty in that it hands out such sentences with absolute certainty of guilt.

However, while I realize that is exactly what we strive for when reaching a conviction, I don't place enough faith in our system to actually be capable of that 100% of the time, even through our best efforts. If it is even remotely possible for someone to be wrongfully executed , it is unacceptable as a punishment.
__________________
9155fb13bb30f91c791f5348f9a9fa42
Old 08-28-2009, 05:43 PM Defiler is offline  
Reply With Quote
#125  

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH
 
Escaped Gorilla Genitals's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
I don't know, maybe so the taxpayers don't have to pay for his shit for the rest of his life?

Bullets are cheaper than prison food.

Whenever I see one of your dumbass, bitter posts I'm reminded of this video and how true it is

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:59 PM Escaped Gorilla Genitals is offline  
Reply With Quote
#126  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Whenever I see one of your dumbass, bitter posts I'm reminded of this video and how true it is

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm not bitter, I'm realistic. There are people that kill for enjoyment. There are people that kill for the hell of it. Neither of these types of people can be rehabilitated. Sociopaths are sociopaths for life (haven't you ever taken a psychology class?). To say that we should spend our money keeping these fuckheads in a cell somewhere is stupid. If they're found guilty, and appeal, and are still found guilty, they should be put to death.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#127  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Ok. Life imprisonment served it's purpose and a terminally ill man being released to die in his home is a pretty understandable ruling. On the other hand letting the murderers who perpetrated the attacks on Iran airflight 655 and Cuban airflight 455 roam free are shining examples of injustice.

HURR IT'S AMERICA'S FAULT FOR EVERYTHING.

Tell you what, since the people of the middle east are so nice, I'll buy you a one way ticket to go live there.

I have a feeling that you've led a very sheltered life.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#128  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
How is it a further expense to the families?

I don't know, maybe paying so the dumbfuck who killed your daughter/son/mother/father/brother/sister can continue to exist in a jail cell?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#129  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
I'm not bitter, I'm realistic. There are people that kill for enjoyment. There are people that kill for the hell of it. Neither of these types of people can be rehabilitated. Sociopaths are sociopaths for life (haven't you ever taken a psychology class?). To say that we should spend our money keeping these fuckheads in a cell somewhere is stupid. If they're found guilty, and appeal, and are still found guilty, they should be put to death.

Holy shit, you are astonishingly retarded. As Gib has just said, and as has been explained over and over throughout the thread. It costs more to go through the appellate process than it does to house/feed someone for the remainder of their life. You even said that you are not against the accused having appeals. Your argument for the death penalty is mind-numbingly foolish.
__________________
.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#130  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
Holy shit, you are astonishingly retarded. As Gib has just said, and as has been explained over and over throughout the thread. It costs more to go through the appellate process than it does to house/feed someone for the remainder of their life. You even said that you are not against the accused having appeals. Your argument for the death penalty is mind-numbingly foolish.

Again, can you cite sources? From what I've read, they place it around 100k.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:47 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#131  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
Again, can you cite sources? From what I've read, they place it around 100k.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
Quote:
Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”

Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.

The cost of a system in which the number of death-eligible crimes was significantly narrowed would be $130 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice, June 30, 2008).
http://www.ccfaj.org/documents/repor...%20PENALTY.pdf

http://www.nyadp.org/main/faq#0

.
Quote:
Isn't the death penalty cheaper than life in prison?

* No. It costs a great deal more.
* "Elimination of the death penalty [in California] would result in a net savings to the state of at least tens of millions of dollars annually, and a net savings to local governments in the millions to tens of millions of dollars on a statewide basis." (Joint Legislative Budget Committee of the California Legislature, 09/9/99)
* Total cost of death penalty is 38% greater than total cost of life without parole sentences. (Indiana Criminal Law Study Commission, January 10, 2002)
* Since its return to New York in 1995, $160 million has been spent. The New York Daily News estimates that before the first execution takes place, $238 million will be spent.
* In addition to the funds required to try death penalty cases, the New York Department of Correctional Services spent $1.3 million to construct New York's 12-inmate death row and pays nearly $300,000 per year to guard the unit. (New York Law Journal, April 30, 2002)

NYADP advocates that the money spent on the death penalty should be spent on crime prevention programs and victims’ assistance programs, both of which are severely under-funded.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009...death-penalty/
Quote:
In 2002, when the death penalty subcommittee was exploring the issue, it relied on a North Carolina report that found capital cases cost about $2.2 million more than cases in which the maximum punishment was life without parole. Since then, several new studies have emerged showing death penalty cases can cost millions more than life without parole.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar...enalty-costs14
Quote:
"Unless the Legislature is willing to appropriate a lot of money for the defense, then I think that the death penalty is pretty well negated in New Mexico," King said in an interview.

"If we had death penalty cases on the horizon, there would be a big discussion about whether we could take a budget cut," he added. "We can't just absorb that in our standard budget."
Your turn. Please city your sources that claim the death penalty, with the current appellate process, is cheaper than life incarceration?
__________________
.

Last edited by Renork; 08-28-2009 at 07:15 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#132  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 

So you're saying that it costs three times as much to keep the death row inmates in prison for indefinite amounts of time? No shit. How about we limit the number of appeals these people get? Just because they're on death row doesn't mean they get extra appeals. The cost should be the same as a regular inmate during the appeal process.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#133  

Renork
 
Renork's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikfuzz050 View Post
So you're saying that it costs three times as much to keep the death row inmates in prison for indefinite amounts of time? No shit. How about we limit the number of appeals these people get? Just because they're on death row doesn't mean they get extra appeals. The cost should be the same as a regular inmate during the appeal process.

Read the fucking thread, we are just going in circles here.

__________________
.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM Renork is offline  
Reply With Quote
#134  

Electrikfuzz050
 
Electrikfuzz050's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renork View Post
Read the fucking thread, we are just going in circles here.


K, nice argument. How about you tell me why people who are on death row should get more appeals than someone imprisoned for rape?

And no, I'm not going to read 10 pages of posts.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 PM Electrikfuzz050 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#135  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.