Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

blame the beaners

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
so would you say that they need to change their culture and accept some responsibility?

Considering this would accomplish nothing and that many of the impoverisheds problems stem from circumstances outside of their control, no not really. I guess it would help some whites and Bill Cosby feel better about themselves though.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison
Hey, Jim <3 ules, You didn't deserve this because you can't guess numbers but anyways BREAK ON TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
Technically if you want to look at it, they're keeping themselves impoverished. There's a direct correllation to education increasing wealth. In order to get better education, you not only need to spend money wisely, but you also need to pass school levies to pay for the education costs. People aren't willing to vote for those levies, then no one is going to improve the school systems.

I've already acknowledged that how the money is spent can be faulty in places, but around here, the best school systems are the ones where almost every single levy has passed. Yes the taxes in the area are high.....but so are the home values, average education level, and family income as a direct result of it.
There are two problems with this idea, poor neighborhoods cannot afford to provide schools on the level of wealthier neighborhoods even with higher taxes and that their income is much more important to them in the first place since they have much less disposable income which makes the effect of taxes more severe.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
There are two problems with this idea, poor neighborhoods cannot afford to provide schools on the level of wealthier neighborhoods even with higher taxes and that their income is much more important to them in the first place since they have much less disposable income which makes the effect of taxes more severe.

On average you're looking at $500/year for a large tax increase (assuming your property value is high to begin with). I understand disposable income can be low, but if it invests in the future, why not go for it? Not only will it help your kids, but it can help you by increasing your property value.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post
Part of the "systems that keep blacks improverished" are the culture and attitudes of blacks. I've heard a lot of successful black guys decry the culture of urban black America, the lack of valuation of education, calling successful blacks "Uncle Toms," all the crap.
This is a small part of the problem compared with concentrated poverty and discrimination and certainly should not be the focus of anti-poverty efforts. It's primarily a scapegoat.

Quote:
I'll listen to them before I'll listen to some self-hating white dude.
lmao

Quote:
Yes, there's still a decent amount of discrimination, but other groups have dealt with that a whole lot better. Refusing to "play the white man's game" (eg, education and climbing the career ladder) is not going to get anyone anywhere.
Again you're just creating more excuses to let things continue on as they have been, which is a guaranteed failure.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Well they should have thought of that before they sold each other into slavery.

Ahaha don't even try to troll me punk

Gibonius

Quote:
This is a small part of the problem compared with concentrated poverty and discrimination and certainly should not be the focus of anti-poverty efforts. It's primarily a scapegoat.
You really ought to make a real case for how much of the problem is simply poverty perpetuating poverty and how much is racism.

I read an article awhile back on how recent black immigrants (from Africa, the Caribbean, etc) in the US had a much higher success rate than African Americans, but can't seem to find it anymore. Anecdotally, I find it very interesting that my PhD program has a decent number of blacks and NONE of them are from the US.

Quote:
Again you're just creating more excuses to let things continue on as they have been, which is a guaranteed failure.
Anybody waiting around for "anti-poverty efforts" to lift them out of squalor is doomed from the get-go. On a personal level, I'm not a racist, I'm not perpetuating any racist policies, and that's about the extent of my desired involvement. I don't want the government discriminating against anybody, I want them to stop active discrimination from private entities, but I can't say I want them handing out tons of money to improve outcomes for specific groups. Make the money available for all poor people to get education and job training, and motivated people will take advantage of it. If any particular group isn't motivated to use those resources...let them languish.

CommiePunk
my rectum bleeds everyday

Quote:
Considering this would accomplish nothing and that many of the impoverisheds problems stem from circumstances outside of their control, no not really. I guess it would help some whites and Bill Cosby feel better about themselves though.

so a culture that rejects education and embraces street violence and drug use does not need any help... interesting stuff. i don't have a problem with any race. i have a problem with the "thug culture" that multiple races embrace.

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Ahaha don't even try to troll me punk

Wad a sad piece of work you are. You only want the history that shows how bad "One" race is but cant handle when you get shot down by reality so easily. Go cry in your soup pumpkin.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

Quote:
You really ought to make a real case for how much of the problem is simply poverty perpetuating poverty and how much is racism.
They're not really separate issues. Racism is just another form of classism and the further down you are on the ladder the less class mobility there is.

Quote:
I read an article awhile back on how recent black immigrants (from Africa, the Caribbean, etc) in the US had a much higher success rate than African Americans, but can't seem to find it anymore. Anecdotally, I find it very interesting that my PhD program has a decent number of blacks and NONE of them are from the US.
Perhaps the experience of small groups of people selectively let into the US should not be used as examples to prove the majority of mostly unrelated individuals have a "bad" culture? Hmmm.

Quote:
Anybody waiting around for "anti-poverty efforts" to lift them out of squalor is doomed from the get-go. On a personal level, I'm not a racist, I'm not perpetuating any racist policies, and that's about the extent of my desired involvement. I don't want the government discriminating against anybody, I want them to stop active discrimination from private entities, but I can't say I want them handing out tons of money to improve outcomes for specific groups. Make the money available for all poor people to get education and job training, and motivated people will take advantage of it. If any particular group isn't motivated to use those resources...let them languish.
The current situation in the US is the result of centuries of capital (of all kinds) accumulation under a fundamentally racist system. If the extent of your support is just stopping racism on a superficial level then ok but you really are in no position to deride "black culture" for its failures or pretending that you in no way support racist policies.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommiePunk View Post
so a culture that rejects education and embraces street violence and drug use does not need any help... interesting stuff. i don't have a problem with any race. i have a problem with the "thug culture" that multiple races embrace.
"thug culture" is a product of the exclusion, oppression, and exploitation of minorities and other lower classes. If you want to fix these problems you should focus on providing opportunities and improving living conditions via social programs instead of deriding them like a self righteous twat.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Wad a sad piece of work you are. You only want the history that shows how bad "One" race is but cant handle when you get shot down by reality so easily. Go cry in your soup pumpkin.
Not really, my understanding of morality and history just extends beyond the childish equivelancy arguments that yours apparently confines you to.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

My dick is sooo much bigger than the morlocks.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

Although I guess it's not really fair to compare with a child.

Escaped Gorilla Genitals
Jim Morrison

A 40 year old alcoholic child in sweat pants? Sounds like a winner.