General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Photography and I[M]aging
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

J Mel

Whats this? A new picture/post in the Photo Forum?

Got bored Friday night while wife was out with a friend. I picked up a nice little Canon 6D a few months ago and hadn't really played with it much. Decided to set up my studio lights which I hadn't done for years.

Had a simple white vase that would work nicely. Pulled out white backdrop paper, studio lights, set everything up, lights, tripods, softbox, ect, ect. Went to store and bought some purdy flowers. Got home...went to plug in studio lights and start shooting, and to my dismay, I discovered that the Canon 6D doesn't have a sync port.

Are you fucking kidding me??? Who doesn't put a fucking sync port on a modern professional/semi-professional camera??? WTF Canon???

No big, i'll use my hot-shoe flash, power it WAY down, and use a flash activated trigger on my Novatrons. 30 minutes of searching, and I couldn't find it. Well, I'll just put it on hold, and go to camera store and buy what I need. Naturally, the store was out of what I needed. My $10 purchase was about to get expensive. My Elinchrom wireless triggers have taken a shit...could have triggered my strobes with that, but the batteries won't hold a charge. Need new wireless triggers, so splurged on their cheapest set for $90...and back to the studio I go.

My initial intent was to take some pictures of light purple orchids with the white vase and the white backdrop. Just happened to pass the tulips on my way out the door, and picked one up just in case i coudlnt' make the orchids work. I'm glad I did. Orchids worked ok, but the tulip was the winner in my eyes. Simplicity was key here.

Canon 6D
24-70 2.8L (probably shot close to 70mm)
around 1/125 SS, around F16
Single novatron strobe with large softbox
Single reflector
Simple, Simple, Simple

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

N2b. Why not a black bg for contrast?

Moar!

J Mel

Wanted a challenge trying to get separation on white vase and white background. Also lack of contrast pulls eyes to stem leading to flower.

I think I got a wall hanger with that one. Enjoyed it to. Will be doing more soon. Have a wedding to shoot this weekend. Only doing it for hotrod money.

Typhoon43

Awesome shot man. I miss seeing some of the better compositions in this sub. I used to carry my DSLR bag in my car at all times, and now it seems I'm just too lazy and snap stuff with my iPhone. I need to get back in the game.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mel View Post
Wanted a challenge trying to get separation on white vase and white background. Also lack of contrast pulls eyes to stem leading to flower.

I think I got a wall hanger with that one. Enjoyed it to. Will be doing more soon. Have a wedding to shoot this weekend. Only doing it for hotrod money.

Agreed thats good enough for a bathroom at the very least

As for weddings, man, that's a rough job. My friend did wedding film and photography... basically you're dealing with overly emotional people who are about to have their most important day of their life and all that (mostly women) and they WILL blame you for being fat in the pictures, they will say its because you didnt get the lighting right and used the wrong lense or some shit

He got out in the end because of all the , now runs a tap house with 36 local craft beers ready to go, likes it a lot better. And i do too when i visit

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Agreed thats good enough for a bathroom at the very least

As for weddings, man, that's a rough job. My friend did wedding film and photography... basically you're dealing with overly emotional people who are about to have their most important day of their life and all that (mostly women) and they WILL blame you for being fat in the pictures, they will say its because you didnt get the lighting right and used the wrong lense or some shit

He got out in the end because of all the , now runs a tap house with 36 local craft beers ready to go, likes it a lot better. And i do too when i visit

I've always avoided weddings for this very reason. I've done a few, pretty much just for family and friends (which are even worst to do). I haven't fucked one up yet (knock on wood)...but still dread them. When i was shooting sports for a studio a decade or so ago, the guy used me as overflow for his studio...if he double booked, he'd use me. He tricked me into a couple of weddings.

I took pictures of this womans dog like 6 or so years ago. I guess she liked my work, and looked me up for the wedding. I told her I don't do weddings...she said she'd like for me to do it anyway and quote her. I quoted her $1500, thinking that it would be more than she wanted to pay. She accepted it very quickly. I should have quoted $2500.

It'll buy new shocks and tires for my '51, pay for my insurance and AAA for the '51, and have a little left over for the '31. If it goes well, i'll consider opening myself up to more wedding shoots in the future. Strictly for hot-rod parts, and maybe to get me up to date on camera gear.

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

i posted a bunch of bird pictures here the other day
no one gives a shit about photo forum anyway
nice vase though

[H]ard|On

Quote:
I've always avoided weddings for this very reason. I've done a few, pretty much just for family and friends (which are even worst to do). I haven't fucked one up yet (knock on wood)...but still dread them. When i was shooting sports for a studio a decade or so ago, the guy used me as overflow for his studio...if he double booked, he'd use me. He tricked me into a couple of weddings.

I took pictures of this womans dog like 6 or so years ago. I guess she liked my work, and looked me up for the wedding. I told her I don't do weddings...she said she'd like for me to do it anyway and quote her. I quoted her $1500, thinking that it would be more than she wanted to pay. She accepted it very quickly. I should have quoted $2500.

It'll buy new shocks and tires for my '51, pay for my insurance and AAA for the '51, and have a little left over for the '31. If it goes well, i'll consider opening myself up to more wedding shoots in the future. Strictly for hot-rod parts, and maybe to get me up to date on camera gear.

Yeah my buddy used to charge around $2500-3500 but that included 1080p video and often two cameras going at the same time. He'd split it with his partner and do all the editing. For stills they either pulled frames from the video or for key moments the dslr came out. So doing it alone means more money to yourself but it's also more work. This is all in So CA with a higher than average cost of living so he could probably charge more today compared to 4-5 years ago if he was still doing it. Him and his partner both felt it's more of a nightmare than a career, given the volume of work you must do to make a reasonable living. They tried to cover concerts and other events but that was more like hundreds of dollars rather than thousands, at the local level with semi-shitty reggae/punk bands. In the end they sold all their cameras and gear (i think just the mac they used for editing was like 3 grand), split the money and parted ways.

i helped them shoot once for a large wedding in SD, and was a groomsman in a wedding they shot for a friend of mine who used to post here... You'll see him logged in from time to time, but he never seems to want any part of the BS that goes on (I dont blame him) AFAIK they liked the end result. At least i hope they did - like you said it's a little tricky when it comes to working with people you know, and i was the one who suggested they hire him.

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unflushable Turd View Post
i posted a bunch of bird pictures here the other day
no one gives a shit about photo forum anyway
nice vase though

Use to be a fucking great forum with pretty bad ass photographers. Don't know what hapepend to any of them. Looked for Revhappy a bit today...was going to try to get in touch with him, but couldn't find him anywhere. Don't remember his real name.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Use to be a fucking great forum with pretty bad ass photographers. Don't know what hapepend to any of them. Looked for Revhappy a bit today...was going to try to get in touch with him, but couldn't find him anywhere. Don't remember his real name.

The Steam Gen[M]ay group is actually n2b if you want to get in touch with some older [m]embers, surprisingly many still online

The Unflushable Turd
BetaMax

Quote:

yup the good old days
im still here and im pretty badass too

J Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
The Steam Gen[M]ay group is actually n2b if you want to get in touch with some older [m]embers, surprisingly many still online

I'm almost 36 and out of touch. Steam GenMay?

I did just find Rev...sent him a message on facebook. LOL. I'm a dork Trying to remember some of the real bad-asses that were around before. Besides Unflushable Turd that is...

dipshit.
royjr
65/m/furry looking for 12/m/top

Quote:

No. It was better when we were still attached to [H]. Back when we still had LK and MrBucket, and a few others.
"I'm done here fuck all of you faggots." -GhEttOrAiD 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM.

J Mel

Again...36, out of touch. "attached to [H]?

[H]ard|On

Def need Kyle to ban ppl for disagreeing and having opinions