General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
leo
 
leo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
The definition of an opinion is: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter.

A little heads up dude, Badger is immune to definitions... Also logic etc...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:03 PM leo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#106  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Ooh nice. A wikipedia list of individual scientists who oppose global warming. Here is a wikipedia list of internationally recognized scientific institutions that accept global warming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scienti...climate_change

Not to say that those 400 scientists are automatically worth dismissing, but their credentials are no more valid than any of the institutions listed here.
Cue your grant money conspiracy theory.

It's interested he quotes the wiki entry. Here is a section of it:

Quote:
Inclusion is based on specific technical criteria that do not necessarily reflect a broader skepticism toward climate change caused by human activity, or that such change could be large enough to be harmful.

Climate scientists agree that the global average surface temperature has risen over the last century. Within this general agreement, some individual scientists disagree with the scientific consensus that most of this warming is attributable to human activities.
So the list includes people who agree that CO2 is an important factor in climate change but who disagree with specifics like "global warming causes more hurricanes". We also see it affirming that global average surface temperature has risen and that there is a "scientific consensus" that warming is attributable to human activites.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#107  

wingedbuttmonkey
 
wingedbuttmonkey's Avatar
 
Global warming is bull. Yes the earth is warming, but it is just a stupid cycle that has happened over the last million years and we can do nothing about it. It's like the stock market.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 PM wingedbuttmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#108  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
Global warming is bull. Yes the earth is warming, but it is just a stupid cycle that has happened over the last million years and we can do nothing about it. It's like the stock market.

You may be right that there's nothing that can be done but even if warming were a natural cycle, don't you think CO2 could makes things worse?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#109  

Badger_sly
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
The ocean has increased in temperature. ....Since the ocean is considered part of the earth, I did answer your question.

You didn't answer his question, because the oceans have not increased in temperature.

Quote:
In fact, 80 percent to 90 percent of global warming involves heating up ocean waters. They hold much more heat than the atmosphere can. So Willis has been studying the ocean with a fleet of robotic instruments called the Argo system. The buoys can dive 3,000 feet down and measure ocean temperature. Since the system was fully deployed in 2003, it has recorded no warming of the global oceans.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=88520025
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM Badger_sly is offline  
Reply With Quote
#110  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger_sly View Post
You didn't answer his question, because the oceans have not increased in temperature.


http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=88520025

Whether or not the oceans have increased in temperature has no bearing on whether I answered his question. He asked if the earth had warmed in the past 50 years, I said yes, based on the fact that the oceans have warmed in the past 50 years and that oceans are part of the earth.

Anyway, the ocean's have warmed. Your link, borrowed from the OP, considers data from 2003 and on. The graph, below, which I have now posted twice in this thread, considers data over a much longer time period.


Source: ipcc.ch
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#111  

Zen0ps
 
Oceans naturally absorb heat from the sun (red-infrared) Thats why they are viewed as blue from orbit.

To assume that carbon emissions somehow absorb more energy than the ocean (which already asborbs basically all of the infrared heat energy) is just total bunk.

If anything the infrared energy is absorbed at a much higher altitude, which will naturally radiate heat much quicker into space. Same idea of having a heater in a baseboard (ocean) or in open air. The one the baseboard will always retain the heat better.

So - only in the case of the ice caps, which naturally absorb no heat because its totally reflective white - The oceans should actually be in general - cooling.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM Zen0ps is offline  
Reply With Quote
#112  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen0ps View Post
Oceans naturally absorb heat from the sun (red-infrared) Thats why they are viewed as blue from orbit.

To assume that carbon emissions somehow absorb more energy than the ocean (which already asborbs basically all of the infrared heat energy) is just total bunk.

If anything the infrared energy is absorbed at a much higher altitude, which will naturally radiate heat much quicker into space. Same idea of having a heater in a baseboard (ocean) or in open air. The one the baseboard will always retain the heat better.

So - only in the case of the ice caps, which naturally absorb no heat because its totally reflective white - The oceans should actually be in general - cooling.

Your post is a little all over the place. Fill in the blank for me: The oceans should actually be cooling if _____?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#113  

wingedbuttmonkey
 
wingedbuttmonkey's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
You may be right that there's nothing that can be done but even if warming were a natural cycle, don't you think CO2 could makes things worse?

Possibly. At most it would contribute about 25% of greenhouse gasses, more realistically around 15%. I believe we will either have a shortage of fossil fuels with which to create co2 emissions or we will develop new technology before it ever becomes a large problem.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:32 PM wingedbuttmonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
#114  

Fuckyouformakingmeregister
wall candy eating retard
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
Possibly. At most it would contribute about 25% of greenhouse gasses, more realistically around 15%. I believe we will either have a shortage of fossil fuels with which to create co2 emissions or we will develop new technology before it ever becomes a large problem.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:36 PM Fuckyouformakingmeregister is offline  
Reply With Quote
#115  

leo
 
leo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuckyouformakingmeregister View Post
You may be right that there's nothing that can be done but even if warming were a natural cycle, don't you think CO2 could makes things worse?

Exactly. We only stand to gain by encouraging reduced emissions and smart energy policies. While I respect the effort of real scientists seeking out truth that may go against the consensus, most individuals who oppose global warming simply do so on the basis of politics. The climate change crowd brings a message of responsible energy use, conservation and interest in safe, clean, and renewable energy sources. Why would anyone be opposed to these ideals?

Technically, it is possible that there could be a world-wide conspiracy among climate scientists to persist false science for the sake of grant money, but this bat-shit sentiment could be held about any scientific theory, such as evolution or the theory of relativity. The reason we don't oppose these ideas however, is because as non-scientists, there is no net gain by going against the grain. There are always contrarians to every scientific theory, but in society, we generally accept the scientific majority, because we can't do the research ourselves, and we have no basis or REASON to oppose it, unless it goes against our fundamental ideals or beliefs. Even if global warming was a false perpetration by scientists around the globe, how would responsible energy policies and curbing emissions be a detriment to society? It wouldnt't. Some people just want to stake their claim as the ultimate liberal hippie haters that they'll ascribe to any ideology along the respective political lines. This is not the case with everyone... but with most.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM leo is offline  
Reply With Quote
#116  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
the grant money thing is pretty fucking ridiculous, I don't understand why you people even bother talking about that to these two fucking clowns. I wonder who'd benefit the most from biased articles (hint=not scientists).
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#117  

Mamma Jamma
 
Mamma Jamma's Avatar
 
Certainly the conclusions of the smartest scientists in the world with centuries of knowledge and innovation at their disposal, who make it their life goal to pursue the truth about the natural world, shouldn't have the last word about what is potentially the most important topic of our time. :sarcasm:
__________________
The suspense is terrible. I hope itíll last.

b4de59c95fdf3d7d67366b90837dea66 [y yuo throw haet :( :(] porn may <3's yuo.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM Mamma Jamma is offline  
Reply With Quote
#118  

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush
 
Tom Kazansky's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
the grant money thing is pretty fucking ridiculous, I don't understand why you people even bother talking about that to these two fucking clowns. I wonder who'd benefit the most from biased articles (hint=not scientists).

Of course we're all expected to ignore it when Exxon funds a scientist who finds out there's no contribution to climate change from fossil fuels.
__________________
ERTW - Engineers Rule The World
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM Tom Kazansky is offline  
Reply With Quote
#119  

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......
 
Straw Man's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kazansky View Post
Of course we're all expected to ignore it when Exxon funds a scientist who finds out there's no contribution to climate change from fossil fuels.

works both ways, but the mere instigation of saying thousands of scientists are churning out studies that say this-and-that to fund their asses is downright fucking retarded. It's a thing only badger_sly would think is a brilliant argument.
__________________
"dogs came to man to make friends and help us hunt and guard unlike pigs"
-lolergay
Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 PM Straw Man is offline  
Reply With Quote
#120  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.