General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > Armageddon and Survival
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Typhoon43

My guns are my children. I feed them lead, but the gubmint can't stop from me doing it because it's my GOD DAMNED RIGHT TO DO SO!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post
How so?

Perhaps I am, and I will GLADLY admit that I am doing it wrong if you can show me how I can purchase .22LR at anything close to what I paid a couple of years ago.

Quote:
I bought 15,000 rounds a couple years back and still have a couple thousand left. I've cut back significantly on how much I shoot hoping they'll last until things get stabilized again.

For all practical intents, 9mm is around 20 cents a pull and .22 is 10 cents, so yeah .22 has lost some of its luster for the time being. It wasn't that long ago you could just stroll into any WalMart and get 500rds for $9

A: Buy cheap and stack deep. Your 15k rounds was probably neither.

B: I just bought a pallet of .22lr at slightly under $0.05 a round. If prices drop below $0.05 by the time they're ready to fulfill I'll get a refund for the difference.

C: You need to reload. Won't work on .22 but it'll significantly drop that 9mm price.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
A: Buy cheap and stack deep. Your 15k rounds was probably neither.

B: I just bought a pallet of .22lr at slightly under $0.05 a round. If prices drop below $0.05 by the time they're ready to fulfill I'll get a refund for the difference.

C: You need to reload. Won't work on .22 but it'll significantly drop that 9mm price.

So, what exactly did you buy a pallet of for .05 / round? For what it's worth I didn't buy 15k rounds of the cheapest shit available- I paid around 5 cents with free shipping for some CCI SV and a couple flavors of Eley.

...and .05 /rd for a pallet doesn't really sound all that cheap, tbh considering that I recall only paying .02 - .03 retail just a few years ago. You're telling me I'm "doing it wrong" yet you haven't offered any alternative other than basically telling me that apparently what I'm doing wrong is not jumping in my time machine to go back and buy more when I could have. That's good info, thanks.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
So, what exactly did you buy a pallet of for .05 / round? For what it's worth I didn't buy 15k rounds of the cheapest shit available- I paid around 5 cents with free shipping for some CCI SV and a couple flavors of Eley.

...and .05 /rd for a pallet doesn't really sound all that cheap, tbh considering that I recall only paying .02 - .03 retail just a few years ago. You're telling me I'm "doing it wrong" yet you haven't offered any alternative other than basically telling me that apparently what I'm doing wrong is not jumping in my time machine to go back and buy more when I could have. That's good info, thanks.

My order is delayed fulfillment meaning it'll take 6 months to get here but there's a good chance I'll still get refunded some portion between $0.0485 and $0.040 per round. Regardless of the current retail prices, manufacturers can see the declining trend in retail ammo sales/prices. Their prices generally don't fluctuate too much during a retail shortage. Their prices are linked far more closely with raw materials costs. They may have a 5% price increase during retail shortages but that's generally linked to shorter maintenance cycles due to increased production windows. They make their money on the volume of ammo sales. They're willing to give great prices now to ensure they sell a quantity of ammo later, when they are predicting their sales will be soft. This is the best price I've seen in the last 6 years for rimfire.

Buying any ammo now at retail, even though prices are falling, is not good business strategy. If we're talking a couple hundred rounds to tide you over that's one thing. You should be buying mags and stripped lowers right now since we're experiencing a glut that dropped prices to the lowest they've been in 20+ years.

When sandyhook happened everyone wanted ammo, mags and receivers. You could only get them at 5x+ markup over pre-sandyhook retail prices. The smart people figured out they should be buying NFA items since they were probably not going to be shooting very much in the next few months with prices so high. The NFA wait was 3-6 months at that point. Now the NFA wait can be as high as 12 months but mags and lowers are cheap.

So what I'm telling you is you should be aware of the price cycles. Buy low, sell high. Stop buying high.

Redrum
Crate&Barrel Roll

A WHOLE PALET

HOW MUCH IS IN A PALET

100K ROUNDS

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

STOP TRYING TO PLAY SOLDIER YOU FUCKING HICK

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
My order is delayed fulfillment meaning it'll take 6 months to get here but there's a good chance I'll still get refunded some portion between $0.0485 and $0.040 per round. Regardless of the current retail prices, manufacturers can see the declining trend in retail ammo sales/prices. Their prices generally don't fluctuate too much during a retail shortage. Their prices are linked far more closely with raw materials costs. They may have a 5% price increase during retail shortages but that's generally linked to shorter maintenance cycles due to increased production windows. They make their money on the volume of ammo sales. They're willing to give great prices now to ensure they sell a quantity of ammo later, when they are predicting their sales will be soft. This is the best price I've seen in the last 6 years for rimfire.

Buying any ammo now at retail, even though prices are falling, is not good business strategy. If we're talking a couple hundred rounds to tide you over that's one thing. You should be buying mags and stripped lowers right now since we're experiencing a glut that dropped prices to the lowest they've been in 20+ years.

When sandyhook happened everyone wanted ammo, mags and receivers. You could only get them at 5x+ markup over pre-sandyhook retail prices. The smart people figured out they should be buying NFA items since they were probably not going to be shooting very much in the next few months with prices so high. The NFA wait was 3-6 months at that point. Now the NFA wait can be as high as 12 months but mags and lowers are cheap.

So what I'm telling you is you should be aware of the price cycles. Buy low, sell high. Stop buying high.

I don't think we're as far apart on strategy as you may think. However, I'm a consumer, not in 'business'. I've bought almost nothing the last 2 years because the prices have been retarded. I've bought at most 1500 rds of .22 when I stumbled across a deal on something new I wanted to try: American Eagle's so-called "suppressor" ammo is quite good so far, btw, as is GemTech's offering.

And as for lowers... I may have picked up a few at post SH market glut prices.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
I don't think we're as far apart on strategy as you may think. However, I'm a consumer, not in 'business'. I've bought almost nothing the last 2 years because the prices have been retarded. I've bought at most 1500 rds of .22 when I stumbled across a deal on something new I wanted to try: American Eagle's so-called "suppressor" ammo is quite good so far, btw, as is GemTech's offering.

And as for lowers... I may have picked up a few at post SH market glut prices.

Well that's much different than your 300% markup statement which was the source of my concern.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Well that's much different than your 300% markup statement which was the source of my concern.

but prices ARE pretty much 300% over what they were a couple years ago... that is if you want any significant quantity any time soon. Like you said, you're hoping to take shipment of your .05 / round .22lr 6 MONTHS FROM NOW! That's a damned far cry from being able to buy it any time day or night at that cost which was possible just a couple years ago.

And unless I missed it, what ammo did you actually buy?

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
A WHOLE PALET

HOW MUCH IS IN A PALET

100K ROUNDS

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU

STOP TRYING TO PLAY SOLDIER YOU FUCKING HICK

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
but prices ARE pretty much 300% over what they were a couple years ago... that is if you want any significant quantity any time soon. Like you said, you're hoping to take shipment of your .05 / round .22lr 6 MONTHS FROM NOW! That's a damned far cry from being able to buy it any time day or night at that cost which was possible just a couple years ago.

And unless I missed it, what ammo did you actually buy?

None of it was bulk bricks. Already have enough of those.

Typhoon43

Seriously though, how many rounds are in a pallet of .22LR?

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
None of it was bulk bricks. Already have enough of those.

Okay, so what was it? Why are you acting secretive about some nickel-per-shot .22 ammo?

Typhoon43

Pic of shoe on top of pallet of nickel-per-shot .22 or BAN.

You have 8 hours.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon43 View Post
Seriously though, how many rounds are in a pallet of .22LR?

Most of my CCI orders work like this.

100 rounds -> Container
5 containers -> box
10 boxes -> case
6 - 36 cases -> pallet

It also depends on who you order from. CCI packs one way, distributors sometimes pack differently.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Okay, so what was it? Why are you acting secretive about some nickel-per-shot .22 ammo?

Because it's not here yet and I'm pretty sure they don't want their wholesaler pricing on the intertubes.