General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

did you race the ferrari like paul walker?

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

too soon

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g|aSsJaw View Post
did you race the ferrari like paul walker?

rari driver ignored me

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

BlisterDick
boobie poo bear luv hugs

n2b

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

car stinks like death, is running super rich, and sometimes has issues between 2500 and 4000rpm (really only when cold, normally don't rev this high until warmed up,) starting with plugs first

if plugs don't do it, I'm borrowing a timing light from coworker, might check over weekend... i can't imagine how ignition timing would have gotten fucked up in the last ~2000 miles but I need to rule it out

then another possibility is a fairly inexpensive coolant temp sensor

and also boost leak testing... should probably start there tbh

car does have stock cat, but so much fuel and backfiring going thru it it might already be fubar

mikeawesome
Baloneyflaps is my lord. I have asked him into my heart.

RIP MR2

2 months top

g|aSsJaw
NEW YORK GIANTS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS, ELI MANNING SUPERBOWL 42 MVP

basically mr2 go back to junkyard

"This crosses the line." - Tex Arcana

"a war of attrition it'll be then, i'll tell you this much i have much more longevity and time for this game than you do" - Redrum

Jehannum

Your coolant temp sender or fuel temp sender has gone, you've filled the cat with shit, and it's going to run badly until you replace both (or all 3). Probably wouldn't hurt to swap the oxygen sensors either. I would probably plug a diagnostic computer in to see what the various sensor readings are and diagnose based on that.

Mixture wouldn't be affected by spark plugs, unless they're worn down to nubbins, and it definitely wouldn't be affected by timing unless you're way, WAY out.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Your coolant temp sender or fuel temp sender has gone, you've filled the cat with shit, and it's going to run badly until you replace both (or all 3). Probably wouldn't hurt to swap the oxygen sensors either. I would probably plug a diagnostic computer in to see what the various sensor readings are and diagnose based on that.

Mixture wouldn't be affected by spark plugs, unless they're worn down to nubbins, and it definitely wouldn't be affected by timing unless you're way, WAY out.

yeah, i assumed as much. but i would not want to replace the catalyst before I deal w/ richness

plugs were not in bad shape

What kind of diagnostic computer would that be? OBD1, not aware of anything consumer level

another suggestion rolled in, which makes sense (explains the horrible odor, but not the backfiring,) that the exhaust manifold might need re-tightening. it has loosened itself before.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Ran well, bogged less when cold than it did before but this is definitely not resolved.

Have timing light, I'll give it a try just for the hell of it.

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
yeah, i assumed as much. but i would not want to replace the catalyst before I deal w/ richness

plugs were not in bad shape

What kind of diagnostic computer would that be? OBD1, not aware of anything consumer level

another suggestion rolled in, which makes sense (explains the horrible odor, but not the backfiring,) that the exhaust manifold might need re-tightening. it has loosened itself before.

I'm not sure what Toyoter used for OBD1, but Nissan has a whole serial RS232 thinger that they call "CONSULT", and there's any number of cheapo programs that plug into the diagnostic port and communicate with the engine. Figured Toyota would have something similar.

and good call on not replacing catalyst before fixing the mixture.

AC Delco plugs in a japanese motor? LMFAO. Good job replacing with NGKs. None of my shit runs right without NGKs. FWIW, those don't look like plugs that've consistently been run rich...

GhEttOrAiD
<--- EVOM

yeah prev owner of motor chose those... what can ya do. I found a forum post saying ACDelcos are "great" on the basis that they are inexpensive, that you can swap them every oil change but ... you can find forum posts that say just about anything.

Popular choice is Denso, but I couldn't find them locally.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhEttOrAiD View Post
yeah prev owner of motor chose those... what can ya do. I found a forum post saying ACDelcos are "great" on the basis that they are inexpensive, that you can swap them every oil change but ... you can find forum posts that say just about anything.

Popular choice is Denso, but I couldn't find them locally.

For whatever reason, Nissan decided to commission NGK to make a totally custom plug for the Z32 twin turbo. 20 years later, they're only available anymore in one heat range, and while you can swap to iridiums and get the different heat ranges, they're about 5mm to short to stick out where the stock plugs do.

So yeah, I swapped to the iridiums, but I have to give a good long rev to clear 'em out after idling for a while.