Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ArpaWocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis
hehe j/k
I was actually looking at this
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/0/specs.aspx
Is this still too much of a bike for me? What other sportbikes would you recommend for a beginner? Then again.....I should actually get a used bike after reading the thread? What is the beginners sportbike? I read more of the thread and decided to get a Kawasaki Ninja EX500 how much am I expecting to pay for a used one? Is there anything I should check for before buying the bike/

forgot to metion that i'm about 6'4 250lbs

As far as upgrades go......what would a beginners mod? Exhaust system?
as long as you keep a level head starting on a 600 is perfectly fine. I would definitely buy used though, to save on the depreciation hit at the least. With your first bike you probably will take at least one spill, or drop it in a parking lot or have some dumb bitch run into your bike in a parking space and knock it over (lol). A slip on exhaust is mostly for sound and looks, wont do much performance wise but yea, that would be a beginners mod I guess. Along with a new windscreen, frame and swingarm sliders, and a fender eliminator.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Dumb Fucking Faggot
Psycho Mantis
Star Wars > Star Trek P.S. CTS-V rules

Where would be the best place to find use bikes online? I'm located in So Cal btw.

ArpaWocky

www.cycletrader.com
www.sportbikes.net classifieds section
www.cycleforums.com classifieds section
and ebay, local classifieds, craigslist

McKnight
MOST AMAZING TITLE EVER LOL WORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArpaWocky
as long as you keep a level head starting on a 600 is perfectly fine. I would definitely buy used though, to save on the depreciation hit at the least. With your first bike you probably will take at least one spill, or drop it in a parking lot or have some dumb bitch run into your bike in a parking space and knock it over (lol). A slip on exhaust is mostly for sound and looks, wont do much performance wise but yea, that would be a beginners mod I guess. Along with a new windscreen, frame and swingarm sliders, and a fender eliminator.

Hey Im level headed. I think I can control the throttle. How hard can it be? Yeaaa I should just get the busa Because its just throttle control, right?

Mantis, when you hear about people saying its ok to get a 600, its usually a 10 year old bike, or an f4i or something. I would strongly reconsider that brand new 110 hp engine with wheels.

Dumb Fucking Faggot
Psycho Mantis
Star Wars > Star Trek P.S. CTS-V rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunteR
Hey Im level headed. I think I can control the throttle. How hard can it be? Yeaaa I should just get the busa Because its just throttle control, right?

Mantis, when you hear about people saying its ok to get a 600, its usually a 10 year old bike, or an f4i or something. I would strongly reconsider that brand new 110 hp engine with wheels.
What used bike would you recommend me? I'm a pretty big guy so I guess i'm going to need a little more power. 6'3 250lbs

McKnight

FZ6, YZF600, VFR, or maybe katana 750. I would say katana 600 usually but it weighs over 500 lbs and its quite a pig.

Yamaha is the tallest of the japanese 4. Lots of big guys ride these.

Kaizen

Quote:
FZ6, YZF600, VFR, or maybe katana 750. I would say katana 600 usually but it weighs over 500 lbs and its quite a pig.

Yamaha is the tallest of the japanese 4. Lots of big guys ride these.

What about the XJ600 Seca II, in terms of height?

McKnight

I dont know jack about that bike. But its rare, & looks like old tech, which is enough to keep me looking for something different.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilocybes
A salvage title means the bike would cost more to repair than it would cost to buy a new one right? He says the bike runs perfect but... how could it get a salvage title for only a crakced fairing? I see a lot of post about salvage titles but nothing is wrong with the bike. Am i missing something or are salvage titles giving out a bit too freely?

Motorcycle plastic IS pretty damn expensive--if you rashed up the whole side of a bike, you could easily spend over $1000 in plastics alone buying new parts at dealership prices. Once you factor in hard parts being thrashed, the price goes up that much more.

However, usually a bike will get a salvage title due to frame damage. The thing is, almost ANY frame damage will total a bike even if it doesn't affect how the bike rides. For example, my '01 GSX-R600 track bike has a nice dent on the left side of the frame. Somebody crashed it pretty hard on the left side, and the handlebar clip-on left its mark on the frame. The frame probably wasn't bent (or if it was, it was fixed properly) because the bike rides perfectly, but since the frame was technically damaged, the insurance company would be obligated to replace it.

A track bike is one thing; a street bike is another. I got burned buying a car with a salvage title, and I will always ALWAYS advise people to avoid salvage vehicles if possible. The same goes doubly for bikes. Unless you are SURE that any damage to the bike's mechanicals was repaired thoroughly and properly, stay away from a salvage-title bike. Its resale will be far less than a bike with a clean title, and you may be risking your safety not to mention have to spend time and money fixing stupid shit that the person who "rebuilt" the bike did in a half-assed way as quickly and cheaply as possible.

TheFleshRocket
Sleeman for fagmin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen
What about the XJ600 Seca II, in terms of height?

The Seca II is based off a lot of late-'80s / early '90s tech. It's powered by a detuned version of the air/oil cooled GSX-R600 motor of that era. Its power output is ~70hp, plus or minus a few ponies. The motor is known to be rather cold-blooded--IE it needs to get warmed up before it'll run smoothly. Of course, that's nothing a jet kit can't cure, and I'd guess that a lot of Secas have been jetted.

Wheels are rather narrow, as are the tires, which, IIRC, are bias-ply. You can probably fit radial tires to it if you like with good results--I did that on my '89 CBR600 and it made a noticeable improvement. Suspension is pretty softish, and if you get an older or higher mileage model, you can expect it to be a bit worn and even softer. Brakes are adequate but not superb, being a single-disc up front.

The Seca's not a bad looking bike--it's classified as a standard, not a sportbike. It's not too quick so it should be just fine for a newbie rider, and it doesn't have a whole lot of plastic to tear up if you drop it. Depending on how must you ride and how aggressive of a rider you are, you'll probably want to upgrade in a year or two, although I wouldn't be surprised if a Seca could keep someone happy for quite a while. I'd considered buying one as a beater / loaner bike but ended up keeping my F2 for that purpose.

Psilocybes

got my first motor vehicle today. Yamaha xj600 seca II
Ive only taken it around the parking lot so far so cant say much about it. review later.

McKnight

What year is that, and how many miles on the engine? I cant tell if its new or if it has a new motor

Psilocybes

the bike is a 95 with 12000 miles on it.
The fairing has a couple of lose screws and it needs a new front tire.
you can see from the fairing its been dropped, on both sides, but seems to be low speed. Otherwise the bike is superclean. I'm happy with it.

fucking clutch fucking gears fucking thing is a pain in the ass but i'm learning. I hope i'm not doing any serious damage to the clutchthing while learning.

Last edited by Psilocybes; 01-13-2006 at 09:37 AM..

McKnight

Whats the clutch and gearbox doing?

Psilocybes

Quote:
Whats the clutch and gearbox doing?

i'm sure its not doing anything it isnt supposed to but.. its all new to me so i'm never sure i'm doing it right or its making the right noise.

I'm using the clutch like an on and off switch (i know i'm not supposed to). it makes a large clunk noise when I shift up, how long do i stay in first gear?

I parked on a slight incline last night and left the bike in first gear. when i go to leave i couldnt get the bike back into neutral so i could start it. i couldnt rock the bike because of the hill so that took a bit of work. then the bike wouldnt stay started because it was cold and I forgot to let it idle first.

stuff like that. I'm sure ill have figured it out in a few weeks.
Cheers!