General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

asa
I wear ladies underwear, and I smell like cheese.

all pictures can be clicked to get a larger view

comparison: (left to right):
reproduction V8 clutch pedal rod, home made reproduction courtesy of tools owned by USAF, rod i pulled from my '68 parts Mustang

if you look closely where the needle nose pliers are pointing to on the bend, you will see where they welded additional length onto the rod, this is the point at where the rod bent

first thing i did was to get about 10" of 3/8ths cold roll from my brother (v8 version is about 8 inches), then you clamp it in a vice and whip out the AF's 60+ piece standard tap and die set, adjust the retainer so that it keeps the die perpendicular to the piece you are threading, this is an important step, if you don't do it, it looks like mine and the threads spiral, a nut will still thread down the rod, and it does work in the car, but if you are screwing it into something that has a depth/length longer than an inch or two it won't work, it's not a real big deal, but if you're obsessed with perfection then you'll need another piece of cold roll
thread it to the depth you need, i filed about a 45 degree angle around the thread end, mainly for looks

get a bench grinder, a fine file, one leather glove (i used the one for my non-dominant hand), and some sandpaper, and a drill, i put the thread end into the drill, turned on the grinder and ground it while having the drill spin it in the opposite direction, you don't have to use a drill, but i found it made it much easier to get an even slope on the rod as compared to spinning it by hand (this is where the leather glove comes in, that rod is gonna make some friction, not too mention the bench grinder heating the rod up), the file is for knocking the surface rust off, smoothing the rough edges, and putting that rounded tip on the pointed end of the rod
once i had it all where i wanted it to, i got a few small pieces of sand paper and pinched the rod between them, then spun the rod with the drill, polished it incredibly quickly and easily

unfortunately, the clutch still does not work, i'm going to drop the transmission and re-examine the clutch itself, if that does not work believe i will (funding permitted) buy a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate
i'm also going to look into the possibility that the throwout bearing is the wrong one for my application

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

asa

all pictures have been transfered to Uploderx.net, and with a glorious thanks to OneWhoKnows, the posts (shortly) will have been edited to reflect that

thank you all for your lovin
now nothing will happen for about five months while i go to California (on the plus side, i get shit-tons of money from the guvmint to order car parts!)

and to finally get to addressing this
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBDrifter View Post
seriously wtf, the entry port the carb sits on is the size of ONE exhaust port. how is that efficient at all?
it's not efficient, it works, the engine runs, but it's not efficient at all
Ford cast the intake log onto the head so that they wouldn't have to put a gasket there
it probably saved them millions of dollars, but in the end it made the engine anemic, and no fun to drive in stock form
most people now add multiple carbs (Offenhauser made a 3x1bbl intake for it), or install an Australian head that has a removable intake, before i got my Oz head, i was seriously thinking about installing two 2bbl Weber 32/34 carbs (found on the 2.3L Pinto)

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Last edited by asa; 08-26-2008 at 07:00 PM..

slimjim_jjh

great thread! cant wait for more updates

OneWhoKnows
(Morbo)

updated the thread and hijacked the first three post (left the original posts at the bottom).
Rang3find3r: "I am VERY proud of my victory over touareg, because shit, what the fuck else do I have to be proud of?"

asa

well... after *looks at last post* almost a full year... i finally went out and wrenched on this blasted car again, and i've decided something

if you're going to adapt technology from one vehicle to another, or from one era to another... just fucking pony up the dough and buy a full kit, because researching all that shit and finding out that you got the wrong thing just pisses you off

now, onto the fun stuff

recently, i got tired of all this nonsense, so when a fellow I6 member was upgrading his engine and drivetrain, he offered me everything between the adapter and the block, i jumped at the chance and picked up everything he had in the hopes that i'd be able to figure out why his setup was working and mine wasn't

my current bellhousing, adapter, clutch fork, and the remains of my throwout bearing (i'll get to that later on)

his setup, the clutch fork for his is correct for my car, but the difference between the two would just make it a PITA, not make it not work at all

as you can see, the setup is basically the same, the adapter on his is a bit thinner (however, both appear to be from the same company, can't find a part number though, need to take them off the bellhousing), but the pressure plate on mine is going to be better, etc etc

i believe the main problem was that the throwout bearing was seized on the collar around the input shaft, i literally had to beat it off with a small ball-peen hammer, i tapped it once but being that it was aluminum i knicked it, some light filing and emory cloth and it was nice and smooth again (on another forum, i've been recommended to find an iron collar to fit on the T5 to prevent seizing and damage if i have to get it off via force)

i completely forgot about the pilot bearing when i installed this the first time (never did a manual transmission before, sue me), but the one i got from the guy that sent the bellhousing parts was for a 4-cyl, which my T5 is for a V8 (actually, a 90-91 V8 T5, one of the stronger ones, which surprised me for some reason)

random pic of the bellhousing

and on the same weekend i did all these shenanigans, a former roommate did this to his truck
the funny thing? two weeks prior, as my brother and i watched, he changed the driver's side bearings, and when we asked him why he didn't do the other side as well (or even fucking check the damned bearings) he replied "damnit, it's just a patch job! i know what the hell i'm doing, this doesn't need to last, and that other side is fine!"

personally, i find the complete and total absence of grease to be highly amusing

now, other than a new throwout bearing, and pilot bearing, the things i need to get her to the point where i can drive her to get her own gas are
  1. shorten driveshaft by approx 2"
  2. backflush brake system as some trash got in while i had the MC off
  3. replace rear seal on transmission
  4. fab a better throttle cable

once i do these things, i'll be able to get her down the road, admittedly it will be without registration, insurance, or any exhaust beyond the headers
but she'll move on her own
shouldn't take too long

edit: also, i really should change the rear springs, but i don't need to right now

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Last edited by asa; 07-06-2009 at 07:38 PM..

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

A 6 cyl build, huh!

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
A 6 cyl build, huh!

right now it's more of a 6 cyl wait...

i'm two hours away from the car during the week, and on the weekends the gf wants to spend time with me (for some ungodly reason), so i don't get to play as much as i want or need to

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On

my friend bought a 66 v8, sans the v8. Someone swapped a 6 for the 289, all the running gear is still v8 though. He bought a 302 and now both are sitting there

That's how it goes

asa

as you can see, i've completely swapped it to V8 running gear and such, i could easily drop one in, i'd need to change the wiring harness and that's about it

but i'm happy with the six

Asa of the Infidel Crew

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
as you can see, i've completely swapped it to V8 running gear and such, i could easily drop one in, i'd need to change the wiring harness and that's about it

but i'm happy with the six

wiring harness meaning the three wires that are in that engine bay?

youd also need throttle linkage, headers, some exhaust work, mounts, etc. My friend also needs a bellhousing adapter, what tranny do you have?

The six really seems super gutless... and has the worst carbeurator ever conceived. I'm sure they can be spruced up to some degree but even the ford people seem to admit it wasn't one of ford's better engines for a 'fun' car.

asa

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
wiring harness meaning the three wires that are in that engine bay?

youd also need throttle linkage, headers, some exhaust work, mounts, etc. My friend also needs a bellhousing adapter, what tranny do you have?

The six really seems super gutless... and has the worst carbeurator ever conceived. I'm sure they can be spruced up to some degree but even the ford people seem to admit it wasn't one of ford's better engines for a 'fun' car.

the problem with hopping up a six is that virtually no one knows how to
there's a small but very dedicated forum based around the various I6s that Ford made, and a several of the members are in the mid 10s, and i believe a small handful are breaking single digits

but yes, the intake sucks, and it is the main drawback to the engine

currently swapping in a T5 for the manual (had a C4 auto), and the overdrive, many have commented that just the T5, exhaust and ignition really wake the car up and make it a lot more fun, some say that you have to adapt a 2bbl carb as well, but i'm not worrying about that right now, maybe in the near future

Asa of the Infidel Crew

Nevermore
I <3 d4rkme4t

Mad props for the thread dude, any updates on how shes travelling?

I'm about to start a thread like this one my Cortina, pretty sure the 250 you sourced is what i've got going on in mine right now

For a while I was hanging onto a T5 from a commodore, needed a bellhousing and a rear extension housing from a stang like yours, but I caved and sold it to cover costs .. ah well .. i'll find a box to suit mine soon

My gf's father has been a ford man most of his life and keeps telling me he knows some secrets to get me up and sprinting, whatever I learn i'll be documenting in my own build thread.

Cheers for the read mate!
.......v
<domisi> i'm not in anyone's sig
\(_o)/ IRC Partay!! \(o_)/

asa

ha
i haven't been able to work on her for a long long while (as you can see by my last post here), pretty much since fall '08 i've been living and working at least 2 hours away from her (am currently a good 4.5 hrs away), the last i was able to do was install a new pilot bearing (as the old was worn out and the input shaft wobbled around damaging the pilot bearing shaft, necessitating the new steel shaft), but i've got electrical gremlins and never was able to get her started after completing that job, but i still need to completely flush the brake system as that's still fucked

if you need a forum dedicated to the Ford 6, i know of one that (last i visited) had some good people and great information on it

Asa of the Infidel Crew

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Awesome! My very first car in high school was a 66 Mustang drop top with a 289. It was super easy to work on, which is a good thing since I was constantly working on it. I had to borrow my moms cell phone (in those days not everyone had one..too expensive) every time I took it out of town because it was a crapshoot. Anyway, good luck with the project!

edit- almost forgot, str8 6 FTL...needs moar 289. Also, mine was named "Molly"

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

asa

it's a little weird how many people haven't seen this thread considering it's age

Asa of the Infidel Crew