General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloneyflaps View Post

Just keep in mind, that fucker will kill ya, just as soon look at ya.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Not all satellite services (there's only two, iirc) reach all areas, just like not all cell service reaches all areas.

Let me edumacate ya: SPOTBEAM. In other words, a way that allows satellite providers to provide quality content (whether it be TV or Internet or telephone) without massive transmitters to power them, or a huge receiving dish and amplifier that would be needed to due the retransmission needs.

In other words, there are areas that flat do not get any form of satellite coverage, either tv or Internet, or even telephone.

Which means the only form of communication is over landlines; therefore, the only possible way to get to the Internet, is via DIALUP.

Q.E.D.

Stick to selling plywood old man, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

pyramid
COORS LIGHTSPEED: ENGAGED

Quote:

popcorn?

nah, he doesn't seem the type.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

lol, seriously watch this video. ahahahaha

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps
My dick: more mass than the earth

Quote:

he's a killer alright

of himself. He unlocked that achievement in October 2009

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Not all satellite services (there's only two, iirc) reach all areas, just like not all cell service reaches all areas.

Let me edumacate ya: SPOTBEAM. In other words, a way that allows satellite providers to provide quality content (whether it be TV or Internet or telephone) without massive transmitters to power them, or a huge receiving dish and amplifier that would be needed to due the retransmission needs.

In other words, there are areas that flat do not get any form of satellite coverage, either tv or Internet, or even telephone.

Which means the only form of communication is over landlines; therefore, the only possible way to get to the Internet, is via DIALUP.

Q.E.D.

So all of the maps showing COMPLETE coverage of the 48 states are total fabrications, and we should all come to YOU to get the real story about internet access- the guy who thinks most people are still on dialup... and that broadband is still some fancy alien technology that "only a small percentage" of people using the internet have?

SemperFly

^ that

if you're in conus and you have a clear view of the southern sky, you can get satellite reception. no question about it

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
^ that

if you're in conus and you have a clear view of the southern sky, you can get satellite reception. no question about it

the real bad news is that if you're living on an anchored barge 2000 miles off the PNW coast in the pacific ocean, you have to get a really big dish.

Jehannum

Quote:
the real bad news is that if you're living on an anchored barge 2000 miles off the PNW coast in the pacific ocean, you have to get a really big dish.

Well, unless you understand that spot beams have very little to do with coverage...

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Well, unless you understand that spot beams have very little to do with coverage...

doesn't matter or change the original point

The vast majority of people in the US that use the internet ARE using already some form of broadband or have it available. Talking about spot beams is not going to change either of those facts.

Jehannum

Quote:
doesn't matter or change the original point

The vast majority of people in the US that use the internet ARE using already some form of broadband or have it available. Talking about spot beams is not going to change either of those facts.

I was agreeing with you, don't get your knickers in a twist.

Baloneyflaps.
Baloneyflaps

Quote:
I was agreeing with you, don't get your knickers in a twist.

I know. It's just goofy that the whole spot-beam conversation even came about to begin with. Instead of someone you know, actually admitting that he's about 15 years behind the times in thinking most people are using AOL or Netzero dialup still

Jehannum

Quote:
I know. It's just goofy that the whole spot-beam conversation even came about to begin with. Instead of someone you know, actually admitting that he's about 15 years behind the times in thinking most people are using AOL or Netzero dialup still

His biggest challenge during the day is to try and upsell oak-veneered plywood over decking plywood to whatever Mexicans come to shop at Lowes. Not exactly the top of the heap (or chin) we're dealing with here.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:

Care to explain why this area Didn't have satellite coverage up until 2006, or that it STILL doesn't get any other form of broadband except for satellite or a T1?

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

"2 weeks from everywhere. we'll aint this place a god damned geographic anomaly!" / o brother where art though

Tex Arcana

Quote:
I know. OMGIt's just goofy that the whole spot-beam conversation even came about to begin with. OMGInstead of someone you know, actually admitting that he's about 15 years behind the times in thinking most people are using AOL or Netzero dialup still OMG

You were probably just learning how to hump your mattress back then, but the whole WorldCom scandal came about because 1) tech "journalists" just kept insisting that everyone had broadband, and refused to acknowledge that there was still a significant number of people stuck on dialup; and 2) that they took that information and convinced their board and investors that they needed money to service those imaginary broadband customers, and instead paid off some politicians and padded their pockets with bonuses that were not earned, which helped lead to the dot.com bust.

I am quite cognizant of the general state of broadband in this country; I'm also quite sensitive to the fact not everyone has anything more than dialup.

I'm still not convinced that about 230+million people have broadband (not counting smartphones)--the majority of citizens are still too poor to afford anything better than dialup, or free access from the local library, if they still have one.

And how many of those counted connections are office/business/workplace accesses, and how many people actually use them because they have nothing else?

I think the numbers are overstated. Even in the middle of one of the fastest growing cities n the NATION (see link above), there are areas that can get nothing. Hell, one of my coworkers only a couple weeks ago got uVerse, which chaps my ass because the area I'm in, the uVerse stops 3 doors down from me!

And if you count the number of computers or devices that can access the Internet via broadband (and even shittier way to count that), there are 10 devices in my home alone that can access the internet. But only one broadband connection, so it's not fair or correct to say there's 10 people that have broadband: it just does NOT imply that all of those devices are broadband connections.

--John Hobbs