General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

kindred

I would get a used 3rd generation Acura TL-S. power, navi, lots of room, and reliability. they hold their value too. The manuals are fun to drive.
Lord, Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytzombe View Post
I thought that if it went 10,000 miles without service it was would be easy to maintain. I guess not.
That's basically 10k between oil changes....providing you can go 10k miles without some other issue. My sister has a loaded 06 E500 that has been a maintenance nightmare....air suspension has collapsed TWICE and the last time out of warranty. $5k+ for that..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Don't lump all the "german shit" together. A 3 series is not exactly high dollar - and is a standard in reliability. Personally i would get a 2010/2011, save a couple bucks and avoid the whole new turbo engine question.

German doesn't mean less reliable: Your z32 is chinkanese and yet a quick search will reveal the tip of the iceberg that is your repair threads.

Did I buy the 300ZX with the going-in position that it would be dead reliable?

(that's rhetorical, the correct answer is "no")

German cars come with a deserved reputation for costly and regular maintenance.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post

(that's rhetorical, the correct answer is "no")

German cars come with a deserved reputation for costly and regular maintenance.

Audis had a reputation of well... not working during the 90s... V12 7 series were known to shed features here and there. OTOH small BMWs have been simple and dependable for ever, not really part of the stereotype.

Plenty of people on this board besides me still driving an old BMW. Mine is 13 years old and has 140k and drives like a new car. We have [m]embers with 20 year old E30s that have 250k+ and still going.

Jehannum

Quote:
Audis had a reputation of well... not working during the 90s... V12 7 series were known to shed features here and there. OTOH small BMWs have been simple and dependable for ever, not really part of the stereotype.

Plenty of people on this board besides me still driving an old BMW. Mine is 13 years old and has 140k and drives like a new car. We have [m]embers with 20 year old E30s that have 250k+ and still going.

What about a modern 3 series says "simple" to you?

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
What confuses you about the 3 series?

Your insistence they're more than mere
pits.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code: [M]ayhem View Post
This thread is nobody here believes that disgusting fat pile of shit you call a wife is capable of producing a piglet

That's right, that's why he's gonna and let you drop his demon spawn thru the vaginlet the creature is going to chew into you on its way out.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Mercs had some serious issues while migrating the manufacturing to mexico. The low end mercs are soft, boring womanly cars that suffer in the reliability department. Someone I know who works as a mechanic at a dealer in OC warns not to buy them. The baller mercs are still decent but probably way beyond your budget or needs.

A 5 series is a good idea if he needs more space, but a 4 door 3 series really is okay for putting a child seat in the back. Kids are small anyhow.

Don't lump all the "german shit" together. A 3 series is not exactly high dollar - and is a standard in reliability. Personally i would get a 2010/2011, save a couple bucks and avoid the whole new turbo engine question.

German doesn't mean less reliable: Your z32 is chinkanese and yet a quick search will reveal the tip of the iceberg that is your repair threads.

German just means you'll be paying out the peehole for the duration trying to fix the pile of shit. It'll depreciate so far when it drives off the lot, when he goes to offload it no news gonna buy it except you sauerbraten chokers that fill your underroos with jizz every time you see one, but you fuckers won't pay shit for them either.

OP, if you fall for his and buy a BMW, Audi, or mercedes, you will have to sell that demon spawn to pay for the fucking maintenance--and don't believe their "bumper-to-bumper" programs, they always have an out written in some obscure Germano-Bavarian dialect that can't be translated by Google.

Fusion is an awesome car (despite my wife changing it over); Toyotas are great too, but the dealers are proud of them. Explorers are great looking, spacious, and BIG; your fuel mileage will suffer, but it'll be a good, flexible, and safe ride. And reliable. I hear the hyundais are dong well, too, as are the Kia's. Honduhs suffer from the same problem as toyotas: dealer rape.

GO TEST DRIVE. Research. Get a good deal. Hit up CarMax and get a sale price from them, and use it as leverage. Don't worry about adding anything (if you go Ford) except GAP insurance, add extended warranty (from FORD ONLY) at the end of 3/36, if you still have the car then. Ford's Sync system is even better now, and they have good sound systems.

Finally, BUY THE CAR SHE LIKES TO DRIVE!!! If she doesn't fit well in the seat, or doesn't like the driving dynamics, she won't keep it long, and you'll pay for it in a multitude of ways.

Now...GO GO GO!!!

--John Hobbs

Tex Arcana

Quote:

No, you bought it because normally you ride a bicycle, or use your rope sandals to get you to work... the rest of us have to actually DRIVE to get to important places.

--John Hobbs

[H]ard|On

Oh right listen to a man who bought something called a sport truck

Jehanum is right though the z32 was an expose of space age automotive technology in it's day so what can you expect... but so were the big bimmers - apples and apples really, so it's not which country the car is from as much as what role that car fills. There is nothing inherently fancy about a 3 series, they are just well though out and feature the least amount of compromise when it comes to the driving experience compared to everything else.

Jehannum

Quote:

Jehanum is right though the z32 was an expose of space age automotive technology in it's day so what can you expect... but so were the big bimmers - apples and apples really, so it's not which country the car is from as much as what role that car fills. There is nothing inherently fancy about a 3 series, they are just well though out and feature the least amount of compromise when it comes to the driving experience compared to everything else.

I'll agree that there's nothing fancy about an E30, and may even extend that to the E36. To say there's nothing fancy about an E90 is to be ignorant of what the 3 series has become (roughly the same as the old 5 series).

Tex Arcana

Quote:

And I'm right in that it's an insanity of tight packaging.

And your bimmer being "well-thought-out" lasts until something breaks, and it takes a dealer, a genii, a handful of special tools only available to the Master Race, and a suitcase full of cash to actually get it fixed, unless you drop in a SBF.

--John Hobbs

[H]ard|On

[H]ard|On

Quote:
I'll agree that there's nothing fancy about an E30, and may even extend that to the E36. To say there's nothing fancy about an E90 is to be ignorant of what the 3 series has become (roughly the same as the old 5 series).

Okay fine, but a 5 series was always just a bigger 3 series. Size doesn't mean complexity They don't have all-wheel-steer, transfer cases, air suspension and forced induction - though now available it doesn't mean you have to get it. In essence BMW has been building the same basic car for decades.

e36

e46

e90

Basically all standard 3 series since e30 use the same set up, new ones come with nav and more room - if that's a bad thing get a 1 series which is still the same just smaller.

Why deviate from something that works so well

Last edited by [H]ard|On; 01-15-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Slash
DoucheBagalo

That new Fusion looks sharp.

The current ones are fine and reliable. Good cars but nothing really outstanding though.