General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

ScHpAnKy
The only place you can get milk in a bag.

help me come up with an audio system

Looking to piece together an audio system for the iX, this is what I currently have in the car:

- wack-as-fuck sony CDX-GT200 headunit
- sony xplod whatever piece of shit speakers front and back (front: 5.25", rear )

that's it, and it sounds like garbage, and the previous owner didn't even hook up the factory tweeters

I also have a profile california 700W amp and (2) kicker 10" subs (no idea on wattage) in my garage... I'd like to utilize the amp and one of the subs since they're free, knowing that, should I buy a set of kenwood 5.25" speakers for front and back and call it a day? I had the KFC-1386's in my last car and thought they sounded great, even without a sub. How do I get all this stuff connected together, especially the tweeters? I can deal with the deck for now, at least until I can find one that I like.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

5.25 component kit of your choice in front and call it a day. Use factory tweeter locations for the new tweeters. Don't try and match a random woofer/xover to the factory tweeters.

Sub-wise you can feed the amp off your rear speakers or run a sub-out cord if your HU has it. I suggest not using rears at all unless you have a large van or something and really need sound back there. Or you have a surround sound capable HU and want to watch movies in 4.1 while driving. An idea I personally scoff at!

ScHpAnKy

how would I split the correct signal range to the tweeters? Or do they only play whatever part of the signal that they can (like a sub) ?

I'm out of my element, I only know what sounds good and what sounds bad, right now if I power just the front speakers in the kickpad it doesn't reach the back very well, I feel like I should at the very least send the same signal to the rears, how would I go about doing that?

U Caught The Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
how would I split the correct signal range to the tweeters? Or do they only play whatever part of the signal that they can (like a sub) ?

I'm out of my element, I only know what sounds good and what sounds bad, right now if I power just the front speakers in the kickpad it doesn't reach the back very well, I feel like I should at the very least send the same signal to the rears, how would I go about doing that?

A component kit comes with a crossover. I recommend the Image Dynamics.

grjr

since you are noob, here is all the information you could ever want to know about car audio systems:

http://www.bcae1.com/

pick the topics from the right pane that are relevant to what you need to know, you should probably ignore all the electronics theory for now and just focus on the basics like installations, headunits, speakers, amps, etc.

Come back after you've educated yourself a bit more

Last edited by grjr; 01-15-2012 at 03:08 PM..

ScHpAnKy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
since you are noob here is all the information you could ever want to know about car audio systems:

pick the topics from the right pane that are relevant to what you need to know, you should probably ignore all the electronics theory for now and just focus on the basics like installations, headunits, speakers, amps, etc.

thanks for the link, seems to cover the entire range of experience too - thumbs up!

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
KFC-1386's .

3738'46.50"N, 11545'2.98"W

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by U Caught The Gay View Post
A component kit comes with a crossover. I recommend the Image Dynamics.

this.

Each system of drivers has to have a very specific network to split the signal not only at the right frequencies but also at the correct slope.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post
since you are noob, here is all the information you could ever want to know about car audio systems:

There's a lot in this one, better "basic" guides out there imo but this should keep anyone who is that bored busy for days lol

d114

Why would you need a stereo in the last great vehicle to ever be produced by bmw? The orgasmic sound of that engine turning all 4 wheels at the same time sounds better than any blaupunkt stereo you can replace that sony with. I say, take the stereo out and listen to the awesome-ness of a four wheel burnout. Take a whiff and experience the aurally pleasing aromas of victory as you do figure-8 shaped donuts around a guy on a segway shooting paintballs at you. See as the air around fills with the white smoke of success as you jam that accelerator to the floor. listen... all you hear is the sound of a winner.

I've learned to not run components off of a stock HU, it sounds horrible. source a used amp from a pawn shop or craigslist to run the fronts, if you plan to go component or even if you use a crossover to run the tweeters.

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d114 View Post
Why would you need a stereo in the last great vehicle to ever be produced by bmw? The orgasmic sound of that engine turning all 4 wheels at the same time sounds better than any blaupunkt stereo you can replace that sony with.
I say, take the stereo out and listen to the awesome-ness of a four wheel burnout.
Until it throws that bizarro part or code, and shuts the motor down; or pukes its ECU into the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouthFullOf(H)ard|OnCock
Take a whiff and experience the aurally pleasing aromas
Smelling thru your ears??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelusionsOfReliability
of victory as you do figure-8 shaped donuts around a guy on a segway shooting paintballs at you. See as the air around fills with the white smoke of success as you jam that accelerator to the floor. listen... all you hear is the sound of a winner.
Hearing thru your nose??

See above about that wonderful service and reliability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssFullOfNaziJizz
I've learned to not run components off of a stock HU, it sounds horrible. source a used amp from a pawn shop or craigslist to run the fronts, if you plan to go component or even if you use a crossover to run the tweeters.
The only thing right about this post, and it's the fact the stereo sucks.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

[H]ard|On

The roar of my straight six makes me 3500-7500 is pure "aural" sex

Steady part throttle up a slight grade sounds like I'm about to gun down some allies from an ME109

Tex Arcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

Steady part throttle up a slight grade sounds like I'm about to gun down some allies from an ME109

They all sound like 4-cylinder shitboxes to me.

NOTHING beats the sound of a big V8...

--John Hobbs

d114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
Until it throws that bizarro part or code, and shuts the motor down; or pukes its ECU into the wind.

Smelling thru your ears??

Hearing thru your nose??

See above about that wonderful service and reliability...

The only thing right about this post, and it's the fact the stereo sucks.

you and your (over five year old) two wheel drive will never know the aural of having searing hot bits of rubber hit you in the face, ears and mouth... all that rubber will be behind you, wasted and left on the ground to be picked up on the next street sweeping day.

That is... unless you flip the diff upside down. Yes, i suggest you flip your diff. The aural diff whine will help drown out your stereo. only then will you experience one tenth of the aural sensation of burning rubber hitting the back of your head as you enjoy the aural sounds of your chinese in-dash dvd player. Perhaps you might also enjoy the aural sensation of that mickey mouse lowes 'oil catch' aural nightmare blow up on you. aurally.

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
They all sound like 4-cylinder shitboxes to me.

NOTHING beats the sound of a big V8...

Nothing sounds like a crossplane V8, except another crossplane V8. Oh shit, was that another rustang with flowmasters driving past just now?

I prefer flat plane cranked motors or big turbos for sound, personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post

Go turn your I6 upside-down about it (Daimler-Benz DB605D, google it).

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.