Namtaru

Truck or Jeep

Day 1

Currently

vs

Day 1

Currently

So here's my dilemma

I currently own an '01 GMC Sierra, fully paid off, in good working condition and just replaced a LOT of stuff on it including brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, tires, exhaust, tonneau cover, and driver side rear view mirror.
I've basically got it set up to not do anything to it but change the oil for the next few years.

However, my buddy is selling his '07 Wrangler with a 6 speed and is offering it to me for $16k as is (meaning all mods left on such as intake, exhaust, lift, wheels, tires, etc, since he is buying another Wrangler and was considering taking them all off)

I know these are two completely different types of vehicles, but I was just curious what you would do.

I wont really be missing the bed all that much as I have a utility trailer, and I can buy a hitch rack for added storage on road trips. Mileage is about the same.
Only thing is I would have to borrow about half for it since my truck is only worth about $8k

But, the Jeep is just so, badass.....

My situation is this: I drive about 5 miles a day for work, I have a snowmobile and jet ski I haul around in my single axle utility trailer, whenever I use said toys I either drive back to Michigan or up to Wisconsin (I'm in Chicago), and I miss driving manual like no other.

Oh decisions.....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

I've been waiting for Jeep to get a decent engine and they finally did it this year (Pentastar V6) so a Wrangler may be in my future in the future. If you can stand the archaic iron under the hood of that 07 (and understand Wranglers aren't comfortable daily drivers) then go for it..

edit- $16k seems a little high, but I haven't priced any Wranglers lately..

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

The jeep is sooo cute

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Keep your truck.

gribly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
I've been waiting for Jeep to get a decent engine and they finally did it this year (Pentastar V6) so a Wrangler may be in my future in the future. If you can stand the archaic iron under the hood of that 07 (and understand Wranglers aren't comfortable daily drivers) then go for it..

edit- $16k seems a little high, but I haven't priced any Wranglers lately..

Go test drive a Jeep with the newer motor and one with the 4.0 back to back and come back, and just try and say that again. One of the biggest gripes I hear about the new jeeps is the engine flat out sucks off-road by comparison, it's way down on idle torque. I suppose if it's a pavement queen and you like to wind the piss out of it and beat people in stoplight drags, or you simply just drive it around, you'd like the new motor better...

To the original question though - if you want to make the change, go for it - as long as you're actually going to wheel it. Lift and tires can be annoying for daily driving, especially if you never take advantage of them.

Why_Ask_Why
why_ask_why
I make Gen[M]ay notable

hah. the 4.0 was so shitty they decided to make it for what, 23+ years? I had an '88 jeep with it

colinshark

The 4.0 in our XJ seemed peaky to me, or at least pulled hardest in the last third of the rev band. It sounded nice, and I liked it quite a bit. It was stolen and totaled, but we'll buy another when the opportunity arises.

For comparison, the 4.3 in our S-15 had significantly more off-idle and low end torque. That engine also sprung coolant leaks all over and mechano-totaled itself.

But none of this matters, because the 2007 wranglers don't come with a 4.0, right?

Buy the wrangler if you want a fun vehicle.

Namtaru

Wrangler it is

fuck being practical

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Wranglers are the perfect vehicle for .0002 percent of Americans

superunknown98

Where do you live that a 5ish year old wrangler sells for 16K? Seems like dealer retail price. If I was you, I wouldn't take on 8K of debt for really no logical benefit. Keep your truck, and if you really need a wrangler, buy something you can already afford.

Guess Who

I like Jeeps personally.

Namtaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superunknown98 View Post
Where do you live that a 5ish year old wrangler sells for 16K? Seems like dealer retail price. If I was you, I wouldn't take on 8K of debt for really no logical benefit. Keep your truck, and if you really need a wrangler, buy something you can already afford.

The used vehicle market is so fucked right now

Last edited by Namtaru; 01-26-2012 at 05:55 PM..

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Wranglers are the perfect vehicle for .0002 percent of Americans
But they don't know that until they actually get one. A lady I work with bought a brand new Wrangler a couple years ago with visions of camping trips and never having to worry about the weather for her commute. To make a long story short, she kept it less than 2 years before trading it in on a used 4x4 Nissan Pathfinder...which she finds meets her needs and is much quieter/comfortable for 99.9% of her driving.

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

Namtaru

Less than two years
I've had 11 vehicles since 2000

jaredballer

z71 > jeep

any fucking day for me