General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
So then maybe you should stfu since you dont know what you are talking about.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ENGINE TESTING. Are you reading?

Do you even know how much it actually costs them to produce a car? Given how many cars they produce, not just the mustang, it costs them less than half the invoice price per vehicle. I promise you this.

I never said those people dont exist. But those people are few and far in between. Just think about it. What kind of person "loves the brand and the car" and has the money to spend on one? Picture the type of person. How many of them do you think exist?

All these cars are dick extenders, but that wasn't my point.

I modify my car because I don't need to spend 60k to have a good time or impress anyone. I do it for me. As I mentioned previously, you will seldom find a true gear head that spends 60k on a car and gets it for himself, and not just to show off. Give me 60 grand and ill go buy two loaded mid size family cars.

He doesn't know what he's talking about because he hasn't blown up a motor? Lolololol

Don't even bring up car price. The union also takes a huge chunk of every car. And engine testing is gonna be expensive to build a 650hp engine that's warrantied for any amount of time.

And you evidently would be surprised how many people do buy the car because of brand and such. Go check out ls1tech and see how many guys are rolling around in 60k f-bodies. They have tons of money but would rather build a monster f-body or corvette instead of buying the BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's youre drooling over

And just shut up. You still have no clue what you're talking about.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:
Nikon D300, Rolleiflex 2.8F, Nikon F100, Olympus OM-1, Pentax 645

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post
Look up prices on well kept terminators, Mach 1s, svo's and cobras of all years. I'm not a ford guy, but the mustang is a. iconic b. a classic c. was always affordable performance

And that's just 80s forward. The mustang didn't exist in the 70s and the 60s ones we won't even mention because there is no argument there.

Same thing with gm's muscle. Grand national, turbo TA, pace cars, anniversary, SS, firehawk, WS6. All hold value well.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

Are the terminators selling for more than they retailed?

Are any of those cars selling for more than they retailed?

Lurker
im a dumbass who posts my bosses credit card number onto the internet for people to abuse

Quote:
He doesn't know what he's talking about because he hasn't blown up a motor? Lolololol

Don't even bring up car price. The union also takes a huge chunk of every car. And engine testing is gonna be expensive to build a 650hp engine that's warrantied for any amount of time.

And you evidently would be surprised how many people do buy the car because of brand and such. Go check out ls1tech and see how many guys are rolling around in 60k f-bodies. They have tons of money but would rather build a monster f-body or corvette instead of buying the BMW's and Mercedes and Audi's youre drooling over

And just shut up. You still have no clue what you're talking about.

You just helped proved my point that real car guys modify their own cars instead of buying them from the factory.

I have no clue?

Heres my buddies rustang that we put a roush kit on.

At least he is sensible. He bought it for the weekends because he commutes by train 5 days a week.
------------

How much of the 25k premium does engine testing make up?

There is more than just difference in engine between the GT and Shelby trim. Even I can see that. So how much is it?

Last edited by Lurker; 06-09-2012 at 09:17 AM..

someone else

Quote:
Are the terminators selling for more than they retailed?

Are any of those cars selling for more than they retailed?

Yep. The older ones do. The 80s ones are. The newest ones aren't because there hasn't been enough time. But depreciation hadn't hit them like the m3 or whatever. They've held value BETTER is what I said. For a good terminator you're looking at 20k+. How much was retail? Not much over 30, iirc. Same mustang get is maybe 7k?
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

Lurker

Quote:
Yep. The older ones do. The 80s ones are. The newest ones aren't because there hasn't been enough time. But depreciation hadn't hit them like the m3 or whatever. They've held value BETTER is what I said. For a good terminator you're looking at 20k+. How much was retail? Not much over 30, iirc. Same mustang get is maybe 7k?

The 80's ones are because it was build in the 80's. A car that looks like it belongs in the 60's, built in the 2000's isn't worth anything.

That's the point. When you buy a classic car, you buy a piece of the era it belonged to. 50 years from now people will still be buying 80's buicks and 60's mustangs because they want that piece of history. No one is going to buy a 2000's mustang because it reminds them of the 60's. It doesnt make sense. Their is nothing iconic, notable or memorable about this era of mustang, charger, or challenger. They are nothing more than a nameplate on some metal compared to the cars they are intended to represent. Furthermore the cars aren't even entirely made here anymore. I am not sure but I imagine the 60's mustangs were all american, today's cars are a bastardization of parts made all over the world over engineered and complicated. Besides that, the guys that built those cars never intended for them to be collectibles, they built them because it was a game to them. All that soul and character wasn't designed, it was a product of the time. Meanwhile today, the whole experience is artificial. Like BMW pumping engine noise into the cabin because the engine is so quiet or Ford tuning the exhaust note. None of that shit existed back then and look how sought after the cars are. Meanwhile today, they have to force it all.

You also forget one thing. The SVT Cobra was "I THINK" Fords first ever factory supercharged Mustang. That says something. You gotta be either first or last to be famous.

Maybe i'm crazy, I don't know.

I just discovered Dodge rebirthed the Dart nameplate. You think that will be a collectible?

Last edited by Lurker; 06-09-2012 at 09:30 AM..

someone else

Quote:
You just helped proved my point that real car guys modify their own cars instead of buying them from the factory.

I have no clue?

At least he is sensible. He bought it for the weekends because he commutes by train 5 days a week.
------------

There is more than just difference in engine between the GT and Shelby trim. Even I can see that. So how much is it?

Plenty of guys modding the z06. That was a hopped up vette. Plenty of people buying em yo drive. Plenty of people modding fire hawks. They never made a super crazy f-body but if they did they'd be bought. Starting with a beast of a car is great for car guys
Either they buy it to mod and get MORE to start and more in the end, or they keep em stock because they love the cat and now have no reason to mod

On the other side of the coin there are massive amounts of guys who have the cars just to keep clean and cruise. And they'll take em to the track every now and again to enjoy but because they came off the factory floor with boatloads of power never need to do anything with them until they get the itch.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

someone else

Quote:
The 80's ones are because it was build in the 80's. A car that looks like it belongs in the 60's, built in the 2000's isn't worth anything.

That's the point. When you buy a classic car, you buy a piece of the era it belonged to. 50 years from now people will still be buying 80's buicks and 60's mustangs because they want that piece of history. No one is going to buy a 2000's mustang because it reminds them of the 60's. It doesnt make sense. Their is nothing iconic, notable or memorable about this era of mustang, charger, or challenger. They are nothing more than a nameplate on some metal compared to the cars they are intended to represent.

I just discovered Dodge rebirthed the Dart nameplate. You think that will be a collectible?

The base model mustangs of the 2000s no, it won't be The Shelby always will be. And the refresh they did on the stang actually set them apart from the throwback. And no, they aren't gonna buy a 2000s stang to look back on the 60s they'll buy it because it was a monster of a car from the 2000s.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
geez, you just don't fucking GET it.

Yes, it CAN do 200mph; yes, it can get to triple-digits very quickly; yes, it actually handles exceptionally well, especially for what it is.

But it also is exceptionally tractable (look it up, bitch) when puttering around. THAT is what Ford did that was special: they took what are, in essence, hot rods, and made them reliable commutemobiles: don't mod them, use street tires, keep your foot out of it, and it'll do it without muss and fuss for 200k miles. And you'll STILL have the power and handling needed to get n the freeway quickly, to pass safely, and get out of trouble no other car will manage.

What's even more amazing is the fact they made BLOWERS accessible and reliable enough for just that purpose, and successfully (yes, there is a 225k mile Lightning, lightly modded, still going strong without a single problem). They were definitely the first of the modern domestic OEMs to do that, possibly worldwide, possibly for all time. I'm not doing that research.

And here's another little tidbit you SHOULD get, given your self-assertion that you're a "car guy" (which I doubt very seriously, since I have to fucking explain this to you, in small words):

IT'S A SPECIALTY VEHICLE!!
Therefore it's a collector car, and will be worth far more than its initial price (because real car guys actually value such things, akin to those dorks that collect watches or used tampons).

That should have been self-evident to you; but, since it isn't, I am calling on your "car guy" status. Turn in your drivers license and man card at the door, and confine yourself to the "Men Knitting Doillies" forums.
You're right, it is a specialty vehicle, and, as such, even less likely to regularly see a quarter mile track or use the power it has.

Listen, I'm not knocking the car, I've never said I didn't appreciate what they did, what they can do, or anything like that. BUT, I'll stand by my original statement: it's pointless to buy it for its engine stats. And you're helping me make that point even more by pointing out, as if I didn't know, in big bold letters that it's a specialty vehicle.

There are tons of mustangs at tracks with 600+ HP, built by their owners, running better numbers than this -- IMO, those guys are "real car guys". Would they buy this? Maybe, if they had the cash, loved the Mustang, and wanted it. Would they bring it to the track? Probably not, because they'd keep bringing the cars they built. They'll drive it once in a while, maybe hoon around in it occasionally, but they'll keep their own built cars for track days BECAUSE it is a specialty car and they don't want to destroy it. So, while its specs are still awesome, they'll STILL never be used! and that's my point.

Is it awesome? Sure. Pointless? IMO, yes. But, if it didn't have 600+ ponies and hit 200MPH, it wouldn't be the flagship Mustang and they wouldn't dare put Shelby's name on it. But, that doesn't change the point that, IMO, it's a pointless vehicle.... That may be because I'm just not a Mustang fan-boi, or it may be because I don't "understand" collector cars because I'd rather have something I can drive, not a garage full of shit that's for show. If I bought this, I wouldn't drive it daily and expect it to be a collector vehicle. If I expected it to be a collector vehicle, it'd be even less likely to be used as a 200MPH crazy fast track car, lest I hit a wall and destroy its value all-together.

Oh, and your using the word tractable to sound smart, made you sound dumb -- it's atypically used in the context of an automobile, maybe you should have looked it up. It doesn't really mean "tossable" or "easy to handle" as a car, in that context it'd be more correctly used to describe a person. Further, it's more frequently used to describe a problem as being solvable "that issue is tractable." While I suppose some people would use it to describe a car, IMO, those people are misusing the word. But hey, at least one of us thinks you sound intelligent.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 06-09-2012 at 10:27 AM..

joemama
Watch Toomer burn those cowboys. How bout them cowboys?

Quote:

I have no clue?

------------

So I guess in your mind, anyone that has ever taken their car to a tuner shop, bought a specialty tuner car (Saleen, Roush etc...or tons of European tuners) or bought a tuner from the factory (like a GT500, ZR1 etc..) is not a real car guy. Roger that..

Ever consider that some people may not have the time, garage space, tools..or have other hobbies that take up their time?

Syndrome of a Downs- drums/songwriter
._--_|\
/ииииииии\
\_.--Bumfuck Egypt
.......v

shidump

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Ps. Hey shitpump - Crown vics run for 300k miles.....

...on their 3rd tranny and 2nd engine

Are you fucking retarded?
'71 Pontiac Bonneville - :o
'98 Dodge Ram - lolrig

Projects:
hellof

shidump

Quote:
Regurgitated youngan spew

So many points to contradict, such a laughably ridiculous bit of arguing here. I ask again, what can you buy for $60k or less that BOTH A) offers the same performance as the '13 GT500 AND B) has a "nicer" interior.

Post an example or shut your mouth. All your arguing and drivel and nonsense is POINTLESS unless you can post an example.
'71 Pontiac Bonneville - :o
'98 Dodge Ram - lolrig

Projects:
hellof

DreamWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shidump View Post
So many points to contradict, such a laughably ridiculous bit of arguing here. I ask again, what can you buy for $60k or less that BOTH A) offers the same performance as the '13 GT500 AND B) has a "nicer" interior.

Post an example or shut your mouth. All your arguing and drivel and nonsense is POINTLESS unless you can post an example.
I don't think he was ever arguing that.... I think his point that everyone started jumping all over him about, was that for what you typically use a car for (commuting) this car is less desirable to him for $60k than something that is more luxurious. In other words, he values the interior of a car over the performance. Further, that a $60k BMW offers exceptional performance, though unarguably not at the same level of the Mustang wrt raw speed (though it may out-handle it in the opinions of some), while still offering a plush interior. And, he'd rather put $60k towards that than $60k towards something with performance in excess of what is required on any road with plastic shit interior.

That opinion, is one I, honestly, share -- and I hate agreeing with Lurker as much as the next guy, lol....

gribly

Quote:

Blue book on a 2001 Cobra (4.6 aluminum block, 4 cam, 32 valve, IRS) is $15k last time I checked. That's pretty good for something that isn't that special in the Mustang world.

someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribly View Post
Blue book on a 2001 Cobra (4.6 aluminum block, 4 cam, 32 valve, IRS) is $15k last time I checked. That's pretty good for something that isn't that special in the Mustang world.

Yup. Like I said, its not more than it sold for, but that's held value way better than a same year m3, considering the starting price. And that's kbb which isn't always dead on with "specialty" or "collector" cars
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Shooting:

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Dude. are you smoking something or is your Alzheimers acting up?

I don't even want to get into why this is wrong and this car or any other car will never hold the same value like the original.

Seriously? Did you even dare go there ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars.net
CSX3021-1965 Shelby 427 S/C Cobra. Finished in March 1965 in Hertz Gold. Offered by Dick Walters Ford for several years before being purchased by Mr. Turner who kept it until 2010 with less than 3,900 miles from new. Displayed at the SAAC-15 Meet in Dearborn, Michigan. Sold at Gooding & Co's Scottsdale Auction for $935,000 USD with an estimate of $1,800,000 - $2,500,000 USD.
Read more at http://www.supercars.net/cars/1741.h...Fy1oabFmpuS.99

Ghoddamn, just please shut up. You have no clue, none whatsoever. You're a penny-pinching cheapskate with pretensions of grandeur that just make you look and sound completely ridiculously reed. You can't even properly die in a fire, because you're too fucking cheap to properly fuel yourself with anything akin to real (aka "expensive") sugar.

Just, leave. Get hit by a bus. Assraped by your neighbor. Shot by a cop. Something, anything: just stop polluting the world with your nonsensical irrelevant drivel.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

я~~~ я~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex я~~~ я~~~