General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
They didn't produce the V12 TDI they won with in previous years, so your statement isn't worth the electrons it takes to switch the pixels on my monitor.

When they made the switch they made it to something they produce. Not only is this good PR for their v6, it's great PR for their hybrids. A6, A8, Q5, etc all now available as a hybrid.

This isn't rocket science, come on man.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
When they made the switch they made it to something they produce. Not only is this good PR for their v6, it's great PR for their hybrids. A6, A8, Q5, etc all now available as a hybrid.

This isn't rocket science, come on man.

No, if your point held water, then they would have been using one of their powerplants the entire time.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
No, if your point held water, then they would have been using one of their powerplants the entire time.

sigh...

If it was viable they would Apparently it wasn't until now, with the hybrid technology.

mekilljoydammit
[H]Cars refugee and rotary whore at large

Quote:
I was more referring to the IMSA GTS-1 Z32 that swapped from VG to VH power in 1995 (which still won its class at the 24H of Daytona).

Ah, my bad. How far off the old IMSA GTO ones were those, incidentally? I was never as up on the GT side of things as I was the GTP side...

Quote:
What's changing?

In 2014 it's moving to a formula where fuel consumption per lap is limited, and possibly diesels are outlawed. Privateers are allowed to burn a bit more, and manufacturers are encouraged (required) to use hybrids, with how much per lap they're allowed to burn being weighed against how much energy they can recover per lap. The point being though that it's doing away with more or less all engine regulations - you no longer have to spend megabucks to optimize one of three configurations (3.4L NA, 2L turbo or 3.7L diesel) that everyone else has spent megabucks to optimize, you can run basically any piston engine configuration you want. No engine air restrictions, boost limits are at something like 30psi, you just can't use too much gas per lap. In theory this allows crazy things like dialing up a lot of extra power at parts of a lap, if you can economize the rest of it.

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Driving: A nice practical sedate car... '03 WRX
Shooting: Canon P, Zorki 6, Nikon D5100, 1911, FAL

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekilljoydammit View Post
Ah, my bad. How far off the old IMSA GTO ones were those, incidentally? I was never as up on the GT side of things as I was the GTP side...

In 2014 it's moving to a formula where fuel consumption per lap is limited, and possibly diesels are outlawed. Privateers are allowed to burn a bit more, and manufacturers are encouraged (required) to use hybrids, with how much per lap they're allowed to burn being weighed against how much energy they can recover per lap. The point being though that it's doing away with more or less all engine regulations - you no longer have to spend megabucks to optimize one of three configurations (3.4L NA, 2L turbo or 3.7L diesel) that everyone else has spent megabucks to optimize, you can run basically any piston engine configuration you want. No engine air restrictions, boost limits are at something like 30psi, you just can't use too much gas per lap. In theory this allows crazy things like dialing up a lot of extra power at parts of a lap, if you can economize the rest of it.

I think it's crazy that they are outlawing diesels but the rest sounds great. This will showcase the most efficient systems/configurations and lead to more tech that can be used in road cars.

How do they monitor the gas useage? maybe they just give them official/sealed cans with premeasured amounts

mekilljoydammit

Lemme check something quick... no, my bad, not outlawing diesels, they're just not as ridiculously favored. As for fuel usage, F1 solved it with their new engine formula; some company came up with a fuel flow sensor for them. Sensors are going to be a sealed, required part, and the organizing bodies are going to have sealed computers to monitor them. F1's doing a different rationing method for fuel, but fundamentally they're controlling power that way when their new engine regulations come online.

“We thought it must be possible to make an interesting living messing about with racing cars and engines." -Keith Duckworth

Jehannum

Quote:
sigh...

If it was viable they would Apparently it wasn't until now, with the hybrid technology.

The hybrid technology that took 1st and 2nd over (gasp!) another non-hybrid Audi, with the same mini-van motor?

I don't think the hybrid stuff is as important as you seem to think it is.

Jehannum

Quote:

Eh, pretty significantly. I mean, within the GTS-1 class, they were dominant, but they were run on the same motor, at about the same power levels, and the GTO cars were mid-engined and allowed much more in terms of aero trickery.

Quote:
So, fuel is like it is in F1, but with a hard cap enforced on a per-lap basis. It would be more interesting to me if they enforced an energy cap, instead - you can only use x BTUs of energy, which would work out to some volume of the fuel used, but each team could bring their own fuel.

[H]ard|On

Quote:
Eh, pretty significantly. I mean, within the GTS-1 class, they were dominant, but they were run on the same motor, at about the same power levels, and the GTO cars were mid-engined and allowed much more in terms of aero trickery.

So, fuel is like it is in F1, but with a hard cap enforced on a per-lap basis. It would be more interesting to me if they enforced an energy cap, instead - you can only use x BTUs of energy, which would work out to some volume of the fuel used, but each team could bring their own fuel.

There's some way they match gas to diesel like that probably?

mekilljoydammit

The GTO cars were still front engine and Z32 shaped... just tube chassis. Actually, I never got a really good look at that one at Elkhart; should fix that some time. *quickedit* Oh wait, that was a GTS-1 car I saw. Hrm. Did they even run GTO...

And, well, consumption limit between gas and diesel works out to a similar energy flow per lap... and they outright said that if people wanted to burn something else, they'd figure out an equivalency.

Jehannum

Quote:
The GTO cars were still front engine and Z32 shaped... just tube chassis. Actually, I never got a really good look at that one at Elkhart; should fix that some time. *quickedit* Oh wait, that was a GTS-1 car I saw. Hrm. Did they even run GTO...

Yeah, the Cunningham racing cars (the Z32 tube framed ones) never ran anything but GTS, AFAIK.

Quote:
And, well, consumption limit between gas and diesel works out to a similar energy flow per lap... and they outright said that if people wanted to burn something else, they'd figure out an equivalency.
I have a plan, involving a 2L NA gas motor, and a LOx/LH fueled rocket motor...

gribly

Civic Si hatch like mine - with the biggest brakes you can fit in a 16" wheel and your rocket motor?

[H]ard|On

Quote:

That's pretty bad ass. We're going to end up seeing hydrogen cars and liquid cell cars and all sorts of shit then.

[H]ard|On

Quote:

I have a plan, involving a 2L NA gas motor, and a LOx/LH fueled rocket motor...

Is this going in place of the v6 on the z?

Those turbine priuses are kind of bad ass.

And things like this which is NOT an EV drive it's a direct jet drive with a an automatic C6 gearbox and some kind of reduction drive before it, from what I gather...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

mekilljoydammit

Quote:
That's pretty bad ass. We're going to end up seeing hydrogen cars and liquid cell cars and all sorts of shit then.

Hydrogen car of some sort gets the 56th spot next year actually. We'll see if it can compete.