General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato

Krautwagen Kerboom v.10000.3

Looks like i need a coil pack

Had CEL on for 2 days and finally today the car started misfiring. It's hard to tell of course because the i6 is so smooth Coils are OE and lasted 142k so far, not too bad I guess.

Starts fine, then a bit after fully warming up it begins to stumble, pops through exhaust like crazy and smells like raw gas. I checked the plugs they're all fine it seems. Going to a friend's shop manana - they got some spare/used coil packs he said I can have, plus i still dont have a code reader.

Should I replace them all when I get enough moneys together? Or just carry a spare like VW owners?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

gee
MY TITLE ISNT LONG ENOUGH

You got bosched.

Carry a spare in the trunk, and buy a cheap code reader off ebay to figure out which one is misfiring.

Also if your car came with a plastic impeller water pump and hasn't been changed yet, set aside money to replace it because it'll probably bosch you worse.

[H]ard|On

Nah all metal but thanks. Pretty much every known preventative e36 fix has been applied to this car.

grjr

how do you know it's a coil pack problem?

[H]ard|On

The symptoms.. what else does it sound like?

I guess i don't know for sure, might be a cracked plug or something after all

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Or just carry a spare like VW owners?

I had a mk4 gti vr6 back in the day, so i sure hate coil packs.

gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I had a mk4 gti vr6 back in the day, so i sure hate coil packs.
<- MK4 GTI 1.8T, 6 so far. Haven't lost one in a couple years - I think they've finally settled on a design that doesn't blow up. But I still have a spare in the trunk.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
<- MK4 GTI 1.8T, 6 so far. Haven't lost one in a couple years - I think they've finally settled on a design that doesn't blow up. But I still have a spare in the trunk.

Thats good to hear, I tried using msd coil packs once because i was so sick of it, needless to say that didnt work out and i fried $225 worth of coils, then said screw it and covered the stock one in epoxy, haha. I want a mk4 again, Ive been looking for a 1.8t this time around, i'd love a jazz blue 20th but people want exuberant amounts of money for em.

hardon, i would just do whatever it is you gotta do now, and then do it right when you get the cash later.

theWITNESS

HardOn has enabled privacy settings for this thread ensuring that Tex can't see it and come in here and convince him to be upside down on a loan for a new Ford of some sort.

gee

I'd honestly buy something like a 1.8T wagon instead. Way more practical (two doors is a pain in the ass), just as quick and upgradable as a GTI, far more of a sleeper, and they seem to go for a lot less money.

Jehannum

Sucks man, hope you get it running right soon.

When I had to check which injector had died out on my Z, I power balance tested the motor - unplugged one coil at a time, until I found the cylinder causing the issue. Usually for the Zs, the issue is their shit pintle-style side-feed injectors, but the test works equally well when testing coils.

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Jehannum

Quote:
Starts fine, then a bit after fully warming up it begins to stumble, pops through exhaust like crazy and smells like raw gas. I checked the plugs they're all fine it seems. Going to a friend's shop manana - they got some spare/used coil packs he said I can have, plus i still dont have a code reader.

That doesn't sound like a coil pack to me. It sounds more like a metering issue.

Happening after warmup leads me to think you've got issues with your coolant temperature sensor (or, whatever the BMW ECU uses to determine when to step the idle down and roll out the startup enrichment).

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.

Colonel Sanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
That doesn't sound like a coil pack to me. It sounds more like a metering issue.

Happening after warmup leads me to think you've got issues with your coolant temperature sensor (or, whatever the BMW ECU uses to determine when to step the idle down and roll out the startup enrichment).

Or maybe an O2 sensor problem (after the computer switches to closed loop.)

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Nah all metal but thanks. Pretty much every known preventative e36 fix has been applied to this car.

So you've spent 1,768,963 on that pile?? Which means you've replaced everything twice?

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWITNESS View Post
HardOn has enabled privacy settings for this thread ensuring that Tex can't see it and come in here and convince him to be upside down on a loan for a new Ford of some sort.

you are SUCH a moron.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~