General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > General [M]ayhem > Automotive [M]ayhem
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Only intake? The guy in the videos doesn't mention that, he claims it works across the board. But the head is coming off either way.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#31  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Only intake? The guy in the videos doesn't mention that, he claims it works across the board. But the head is coming off either way.

If you're only seeing a 10-20% drop in compression, you likely wouldn't see it hit the vac gauge. If the compression in that cylinder were, say, 75PSI vs. the others (what are they, around 200? Seems like a high comp NA motor should be above 200PSI), then you might see some impact.

If the compression reading is suspect, though, I'm going back to my original diagnosis of metering.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#32  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Jehanum you may be right in combination with this.


Head is off - there's electrolysis from one of the cooling holes to inside the chamber. The HG was farked in that spot. The piston and chamber were clean compared to the neighbors. So that's part of the problem for certain and might help explain why my old coolant tank started leaking. Now the head is going to get cleaned up, boiled and pressure tested and then we go from there. I'm surprised because i changed the coolant twice since i've had it, I guess the PO never did.

__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#33  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
I want titanium springs and some other goodies while it's apart.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-18-2012, 02:03 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#34  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
So, how are you going to repair that?

I assume when you say "electrolysis", you mean that there's some material removed there, which certainly could come from electrolysis, but could also come from a failed fire ring on the gasket, and corrosive combustion gasses escaping the chamber.

The upshot is you'll either need to cut the head to the depth of the damage, or fill in the damage with some new aluminum and then cut the new surface to the level of the head.

Also, titanium springs are a gimmick. Spring rate is spring rate, and if I were going to put money into lightening a valvetrain, I'd put it into the components that are actually doing the motion (keepers, valves, and lifters).

Basically, if you've got hydraulic lifters paired with titanium valve springs, you're the moral equivalent of the guy who puts BBS racing wheels on his Civic.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:36 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#35  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
So, how are you going to repair that?

I assume when you say "electrolysis", you mean that there's some material removed there, which certainly could come from electrolysis, but could also come from a failed fire ring on the gasket, and corrosive combustion gasses escaping the chamber.

The upshot is you'll either need to cut the head to the depth of the damage, or fill in the damage with some new aluminum and then cut the new surface to the level of the head.

Also, titanium springs are a gimmick. Spring rate is spring rate, and if I were going to put money into lightening a valvetrain, I'd put it into the components that are actually doing the motion (keepers, valves, and lifters).

Basically, if you've got hydraulic lifters paired with titanium valve springs, you're the moral equivalent of the guy who puts BBS racing wheels on his Civic.


Um aren't titanium springs more about the fatigue rate, more so than weight?

I agree about the other hardware, that might be nice - but the springs I'm after are more for raised redline and longevity.


Also noted about the fire ring but my guy says electrolysis and he's a freaken genie with these cars - and cars in general. I'll post some pics of his more entertaining projects in a few.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#36  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Um aren't titanium springs more about the fatigue rate, more so than weight?

I agree about the other hardware, that might be nice - but the springs I'm after are more for raised redline and longevity.


Also noted about the fire ring but my guy says electrolysis and he's a freaken genie with these cars - and cars in general. I'll post some pics of his more entertaining projects in a few.

Dude, your car went 140k on stock springs w/raised redline. If you still have that turd (or if we even have gasoline) after another 140k, then power to you, but I'd suggest you go down that line of thought before you spend that money. You're probably looking down at least $600 in machining costs on preventative maintenance (valve job, fly cut, pitting repair), plus whatever hardware you have to replace or upgrade.
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#37  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum View Post
Dude, your car went 140k on stock springs w/raised redline. If you still have that turd (or if we even have gasoline) after another 140k, then power to you, but I'd suggest you go down that line of thought before you spend that money. You're probably looking down at least $600 in machining costs on preventative maintenance (valve job, fly cut, pitting repair), plus whatever hardware you have to replace or upgrade.

It's really not a turd but a total pleasure so i don't mind We'll have gas before it dies again no doubt.. lol


I agree though I'll weigh costs versus benefit.
__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#38  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
Okay here's some shit from the shop

His shop e36 M3 race car, one of two. Its a turbo S52:



Outside




E30 with turbo e46 M3 engine




It's not all BMWs though, they get an occasional muscle car and stuff like this:






This looks like fun....

__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#39  

[H]ard|On
tell me i is retarded and i will just potato
 
[H]ard|On's Avatar
 
I figure you'd like this...

They did a turbo '73 z with fancy engine management. or maybe you wont like that...

__________________
Make Genmay Great Again
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 PM [H]ard|On is offline  
Reply With Quote
#40  

Jehannum
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
I have the same fascia as that car!

I'm actually doing that same swap for another guy in the Z club. Except, instead of going with a reasonable stand alone EMS, the guy is adapting the EMS from a late Z31 turbo to the wiring harness for the L28 turbo. Which would be fine, except that I have to adapt the L28 turbo harness to the 240Z (the L28ET only ever came in the 280ZX), and then wrap up the additional sensor lines (MAF, CAS, temperature sensors, etc.) in the new harness.

Most Z guys will look at anything over $20 and say "nah, I can do it cheaper with XYZ".
__________________
Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin foil underwear!

1992 300ZX: Not stock, 433 RWHP
1971 240Z: Toyota front brakes, 123 RWHP
1967 Pontiac GTO: not stock.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 AM Jehannum is offline  
Reply With Quote
#41  

grjr
 
grjr's Avatar
 


you might be able to get rid of that corrosion with just simple cut but that's for the machine shop to figure out. Why does that area of the combustion chamber look different and what's the line between the valves?

You got the head off, we deserve more engine pictures!
__________________
irc.slashnet.org #cartalk
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 AM grjr is offline  
Reply With Quote
#42  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
Jehanum you may be right in combination with this.


Head is off - there's electrolysis from one of the cooling holes to inside the chamber. The HG was farked in that spot. The piston and chamber were clean compared to the neighbors. So that's part of the problem for certain and might help explain why my old coolant tank started leaking. Now the head is going to get cleaned up, boiled and pressure tested and then we go from there. I'm surprised because i changed the coolant twice since i've had it, I guess the PO never did.


That famous roundel krautbraten quality
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#43  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by [H]ard|On View Post
It's really not a turd but a total pleasure so i don't mind We'll have gas before it dies again no doubt.. lol


I agree though I'll weigh costs versus benefit.

I knew you were a
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#44  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grjr View Post


you might be able to get rid of that corrosion with just simple cut but that's for the machine shop to figure out. Why does that area of the combustion chamber look different and what's the line between the valves?

You got the head off, we deserve more engine pictures!

Yuo r not aryan nor roundelbraten, u do not DESERVE to know spezial germanik sekritz fur ze manufakturen ov ze zuperiorinterezzengrafnezz ov ze pinnakel ov ze vorld over all zings automotive!!

Now get into ze ovenz, impure vazte ov poop!!
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#45  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.