General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

evildre

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
I've been supporting the latitude line for 10 years. They're full of fuck. I'm typing this on a E6500.

The D830 was an abortion in a plastic case. The E5500 was better, but still kind of crappy. The E6520 ... from what I've seen so far, I'm in love.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

HotLikeSalsa

I bought an FX 603 about 2 months ago - no complaints whatsoever but again it was pretty recently so I can't really say much about the durability. The laptop feels pretty solid to me. And this particular laptop has the best sound system I've ever used in a laptop.

liquidkristal

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post
The D830 was an abortion in a plastic case. The E5500 was better, but still kind of crappy. The E6520 ... from what I've seen so far, I'm in love.

my 9 year old Inspiron 8200 is still my daily laptop (Company I work for sees IT as a huge cost so we don't get to have a company issued machine, so myself and the other IT guy have to use our own kit ) and it still goes (its slow but it all works still)

"I have to ask you a question."
"What is it?"
"Its an inquisitive statement used to test knowledge, but thats not important right now.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildre View Post

The entire D series is worthless. The D600 was everyones goto laptop for 3 years and it was horrible. They tried to fix it with the D610, D620 and D630 which only lead to new problems to fuck things over.

chronage

Quote:
The entire D series is worthless. The D600 was everyones goto laptop for 3 years and it was horrible. They tried to fix it with the D610, D620 and D630 which only lead to new problems to fuck things over.

Bullshit, the D series was very solid. What was horrible about it? They are tanks with magnesium-alloy casing.

edit: I had a D600, D610, and D420

KorruptioN

Quote:

Details? Otherwise I'm gonna say too.

The only problem with the D620 and D630 is if you got the nVidia discrete graphics... which all die. Otherwise they're pretty solid laptops when loaded up with enough RAM. A D430 with a 1.8" SSD is a fantastic travel companion. Dell hadn't figured out their pointing devices at the time though - they were all shit.

pepperochini

I've got my mind set on a Lenovo G470 i5-2410 [or comparable lenovo]. I'm going to lag it until black friday. No need to rush. I might even be able to find something better. I'm impressed with the way my sisters Lenovo G560 has held up for the past year. Maybe

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronage View Post
Bullshit, the D series was very solid. What was horrible about it? They are tanks with magnesium-alloy casing.

edit: I had a D600, D610, and D420

D600s shipped with click happy fujitsu and hitachi drives, the blutooth adapter nipple used to break off the motherboard all the time, horrible hinges and the motherboards used to go tits up almost as much as the GX270s did.

I supported them at MCI for most of the early 2000s. Until MCI got fed up with all the issues and threatened to go to HP who they were currently setting up a support contract with. Dell replaced a handful of them with D610s which weren't much better than about 6 months later came in and replaced the rest with D620s.

The D610 motherboard was built into the frame of the laptop like all the rest of the D series. This means when you change a motherboard you basically just remove all the components from the frame and reassemble them on a new motherboard/frame. The frame on the D610 was thinner and lighter and shittier. People would grab the laptop on the corner with one hand and the weight of the screen would torque the whole board far enough to break a connection somewhere and the machine wouldnt boot. They still didnt fix the issue with the blutooth nipple and still came with fucking worthless hitachi and fujitsu drives. The screens were also more delicate so we had to replace a shit ton of LCDs in the 610 line.

Heres what wikipedia has to say about the 610.

Quote:
Latitude D610 problems
Some Dell Latitude D610 units with a dedicated ATI x300 graphics card seem to have problems with the audio-out jack. Symptoms of this problem include a noise or whine when an audio device is connected to the audio-out jack. Up to this date Dell does not have a clear solution to this problem.[1][2][3][4]

A number of Dell Latitude D610 units will develop microscopic fractures of the motherboard. Symptoms of this problem may include inability to turn on the computer, unexpected shut down within 30 seconds of being turned on, or visible screen artifacts while in operation. This problem also frequently contributes to the blue screen of death (BSOD) in Windows.

The D630s still had fujitsu and hitachi drives, still had LCD problems and still had motherboard problems but not related to a weak frame. They finally fixed the issue with the blutooth nipple and the hinges lasted longer than 6 months before sounding like they were full of sand.

Here's what wikipedia has to say about the D620.
Quote:
Latitude D620 problems
All early D620 models were known for faulty LCD screens. All of these early models suffered from light bleeding, where a black screen would show light bleeding in from the bottom of the screen. This wasn't fixed until almost a year into production. In addition, some D620 screens are known for having bad LCD pixels.
We had to stock 10 mobos for each model because there were so many issues with the motherboards. Dells policy was they'd send a replacement board but you had 10 days to get the broken one back to their depot or they charged you the ~$400 price tag they had on them. Sounds easy until you get 12 motherboards in on a monday that have to go back out by friday or you get buttraped by dell. Scheduling service with users was a fucking nightmare on a deadline like that. People would just flake out and not show up and in some cases we sent the new motherboard back to dell to avoid the $400 fee. After we started stocking parts we could change motherboards out as they came in and just do part swaps into the return boxes when the new stock came in.

Luckily I got promoted out of there before the D630 swaps started. I heard there were more issues but didnt experience them first hand.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Now that I think about it, I may have been there when they started the D630 swaps.

Another thing I should add is during the course of what I posted above we had a very small user base that had the D4x0 line. The D400 had very similar problems to the D600. The D400 was a pretty horrible laptop at the time. It had a tiny screen that had horrible definition. It reminded me of the old passive matrix displays of the late 90s. There was a 1" bezel so you had this tiny laptop with an even tinier screen. The 410 showed improvements and the 420 was a decent machine. The biggest was the bezel was shrunk down to normal thickness so you actually had a reasonable screen size. Of the whole D line that we were using we could have saved a lot of issues if everyone had D420s. Of course they werent released for a few years and they didnt have internal optical drives which would have posed a major issue for most people.