General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Lately I've been dealing with shitty speeds when trying to check my mail or view youtube clips, and I'm hoping those on fios will help me out. I'd like you guys to do a simple ping test to google.com, youtube.com and 209.85.240.49(the google AS my trace-routes have gone through).

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but it would be a scandal if Verizon was throttling Google. Hell, it may be Google's fault, so even if your on Comcast or timewarner give it a try. Tests to facebook, yahoo, and even Baidu.com run smooth with < 1% loss.

Ping statistics for 72.14.204.104:
Packets: Sent = 116, Received = 79, Lost = 37 (31% loss)

Ping statistics for 74.125.95.93:
Packets: Sent = 73, Received = 47, Lost = 26 (35% loss)

Ping statistics for 209.85.240.49:
Packets: Sent = 32, Received = 20, Lost = 12 (37% loss),




Ive got packet loss to google as well, but nowhere else

Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#16  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Forever Domon
 
Forever Domon's Avatar
 
You know, i just realized it, but this has been happening for a long time. A couple months back my FIOS was messing up pretty bad, and I was trying to track down the issue, I had a constant ping -t running to google as a connection diagnosis, and was getting packet loss all over the place. At the time I just assumed it was related to my larger connection problems, but I remember being able to ping www.verizon.net with 100% success at the time...

wtf is going on. This could explain why my youtube never ever runs smooth and constantly buffers too.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 AM Forever Domon is offline  
Reply With Quote
#17  

Casper
The Friendly Negro
 
Casper's Avatar
 
This is my output from MTR

Code:
 Host                                                                                                                                 Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. myrouter.home                                                                       0.0%    83    0.4   0.3   0.3   0.7   0.0
 2. L100.TAMPFL-VFTTP-145.verizon-gni.net                                    0.0%    83    4.8   5.3   3.9  10.8   1.3
 3. G10-0-4-1845.TAMPFL-LCR-08.verizon-gni.net                            0.0%    83    6.3   6.3   5.3  16.6   1.3
 4. ???
 5. so-4-1-0-0.ATL01-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net                                 0.0%    83   22.8  22.7  18.3  60.0   7.1
 6. 0.ge-x-x-0.XT2.ATL4.ALTER.NET                                               0.0%    83   21.6  24.1  20.3  89.2   8.4
 7. 0.xe-0-0-0.XL4.IAD8.ALTER.NET                                                0.0%    83   41.3  48.5  40.3 157.4  23.1
 8. TenGigE0-7-4-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET                                        0.0%    83   39.5  40.7  38.3  65.9   3.6
    TenGigE0-7-1-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-7-0-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-5-0-1.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-5-0-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-7-2-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
 9. google-gw.customer.alter.net                                                    46.9%    82   69.3  71.6  60.6 124.3  13.6
10. 216.239.46.248                                                                    50.0%    82   71.3  47.3  39.3 120.3  20.2
11. 66.249.95.149                                                                       50.0%    82   36.5  40.8  35.5  72.3   8.5
12. 72.14.239.127                                                                   42.7%    82   38.0  40.5  36.0 148.0  16.4
    72.14.239.131
13. 209.85.252.98                                                                       53.7%    82   38.3  44.8  37.7  54.3   4.4
    209.85.252.66
    209.85.252.70
    209.85.252.102
14. gy-in-f104.1e100.net                                                        50.0%    82   39.5  37.9  36.2  40.0   1.1
I also have some problems occasionally with youtube, always wondered why I buffer so much but then sites like vimeo are flawless....
__________________
XBOX [M]odders Club
-------------------------------
Proud to be a black member of genmay.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:41 AM Casper is offline  
Reply With Quote
#18  

fieroloki
 
No issues here. On FiOS in Dallas.

Ping statistics for 74.125.227.20:
Packets: Sent = 58, Received = 58, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 11ms, Average = 9ms
__________________
FieroLoki
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 AM fieroloki is offline  
Reply With Quote
#19  

nyt
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
This is my output from MTR

Code:
 Host                                                                                                                                 Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
 1. myrouter.home                                                                       0.0%    83    0.4   0.3   0.3   0.7   0.0
 2. L100.TAMPFL-VFTTP-145.verizon-gni.net                                    0.0%    83    4.8   5.3   3.9  10.8   1.3
 3. G10-0-4-1845.TAMPFL-LCR-08.verizon-gni.net                            0.0%    83    6.3   6.3   5.3  16.6   1.3
 4. ???
 5. so-4-1-0-0.ATL01-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net                                 0.0%    83   22.8  22.7  18.3  60.0   7.1
 6. 0.ge-x-x-0.XT2.ATL4.ALTER.NET                                               0.0%    83   21.6  24.1  20.3  89.2   8.4
 7. 0.xe-0-0-0.XL4.IAD8.ALTER.NET                                                0.0%    83   41.3  48.5  40.3 157.4  23.1
 8. TenGigE0-7-4-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET                                        0.0%    83   39.5  40.7  38.3  65.9   3.6
    TenGigE0-7-1-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-7-0-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-5-0-1.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-5-0-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
    TenGigE0-7-2-0.GW7.IAD8.ALTER.NET
 9. google-gw.customer.alter.net                                                    46.9%    82   69.3  71.6  60.6 124.3  13.6
10. 216.239.46.248                                                                    50.0%    82   71.3  47.3  39.3 120.3  20.2
11. 66.249.95.149                                                                       50.0%    82   36.5  40.8  35.5  72.3   8.5
12. 72.14.239.127                                                                   42.7%    82   38.0  40.5  36.0 148.0  16.4
    72.14.239.131
13. 209.85.252.98                                                                       53.7%    82   38.3  44.8  37.7  54.3   4.4
    209.85.252.66
    209.85.252.70
    209.85.252.102
14. gy-in-f104.1e100.net                                                        50.0%    82   39.5  37.9  36.2  40.0   1.1
I also have some problems occasionally with youtube, always wondered why I buffer so much but then sites like vimeo are flawless....

At first glance, it appears the verizon/google peering in VA/DC is saturated. However, there is also an unexpected latency jump between hops 8 and 9 which tells me the traffic is taking a different return path, so it's pretty much up in the air as to where the issue is. Since the loss is almost exactly 50%, there is probably a load balancing failure somewhere in Verizon's network. I've seen that exact issue before as well from other FIOS subscribers recently. The one thing that is certain, is that you're clear well into Verizon's network before the problem starts. I would report it to them. If they don't fix it, you can send that MTR to Google and include your own IP address and they will troubleshoot from their side as well, and get Verizon involved as necessary. I work with their network department all the time and for the most part, they stay on top of things and know what they're doing. Trying to get to someone at that level in Verizon may be an issue Stuff like this costs Google money, not Verizon, so it's clearly better to approach it from that side of things.

I don't want to drop one of Google's email addresses on a public forum and get it spammed, so I will PM it to you.

Last edited by nyt; 05-30-2011 at 11:41 AM..
Old 05-30-2011, 11:32 AM nyt is offline  
Reply With Quote
#20  

Grazehell
 
Grazehell's Avatar
 
Ran all the pings and have no packet loss. Sucks for you people!

I'm in NYC btw
Old 05-30-2011, 12:17 PM Grazehell is offline  
Reply With Quote
#21  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
And so it begins... the new "net neutrality" rules go into effect, and the companies start with bandwidth limits, site lockouts, and throttling.

Next thing you know, they'll force-feed their content into our brains, and cut off forum posti[snip]

WE'RE SORRY, THIS POST VIOLATES AT&T'S TERMS OF SERVICE (TOS), THIS USER HAS BEEN DETAINED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION AND REINTEGRATION/REEDUCATION; AND THIS FORM HAS BEEN TARGETED FOR TAKEDOWN BY THE MPAARIAAHSCIANSA JOINT THOUGHTPOLICE FORCE, ALL USERS WILL BE DETAINED AND REEDUCATED AS WELL. REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES, CIVIL PROTECTION WILL BE THERE SHORTLY.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#22  

nyt
 
Or, it's a network issue exactly as I described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
And so it begins... the new "net neutrality" rules go into effect, and the companies start with bandwidth limits, site lockouts, and throttling.

Next thing you know, they'll force-feed their content into our brains, and cut off forum posti[snip]

WE'RE SORRY, THIS POST VIOLATES AT&T'S TERMS OF SERVICE (TOS), THIS USER HAS BEEN DETAINED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION AND REINTEGRATION/REEDUCATION; AND THIS FORM HAS BEEN TARGETED FOR TAKEDOWN BY THE MPAARIAAHSCIANSA JOINT THOUGHTPOLICE FORCE, ALL USERS WILL BE DETAINED AND REEDUCATED AS WELL. REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES, CIVIL PROTECTION WILL BE THERE SHORTLY.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM nyt is offline  
Reply With Quote
#23  

ERL857
 
Ping statistics for 74.125.93.106:
Packets: Sent = 49, Received = 49, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 32ms

Cablevision, NYC market all clear here
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM ERL857 is offline  
Reply With Quote
#24  

whatthedil
 
I too have been having problems with youtube with constant buffering.

I have fios in the Harrisburg, PA area.

Ran just now to google.com.

Ping statistics for 74.125.93.103:
Packets: Sent = 52, Received = 40, Lost = 12 (2
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 23ms
__________________
849082054a677d64a2a4c3aacf4e0335
Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM whatthedil is offline  
Reply With Quote
#25  

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.
 
Tex Arcana's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERL857 View Post
Ping statistics for 74.125.93.106:
Packets: Sent = 49, Received = 49, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 55ms, Average = 32ms

Cablevision, NYC market all clear here

Hm, downloaded a couple iPad/iPhone apps to do this (over wireless, mind, but the router is in the same room as me):

Quote:
PING 74.125.93.106 (74.125.93.106): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=1 ttl=50 time=51.328 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=2 ttl=50 time=128.452 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=3 ttl=50 time=139.326 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=4 ttl=50 time=50.825 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=5 ttl=50 time=146.197 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=6 ttl=50 time=50.531 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=7 ttl=50 time=51.125 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=8 ttl=50 time=156.055 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=9 ttl=50 time=52.355 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=10 ttl=50 time=50.909 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=11 ttl=50 time=170.925 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=12 ttl=50 time=49.388 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.93.106 icmp_seq=13 ttl=50 time=52.040 ms

OMGOMG
OMGOMGStoped!OMG
Quote:
PING 74.125.93.106 (74.125.93.106)
Sending 56 data bytes
64 bytes rcvd: seq=0 time=54.089 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=1 time=50.214 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=2 time=50.533 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=3 time=52.612 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=4 time=52.506 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=5 time=49.368 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=6 time=49.915 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=7 time=74.880 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=8 time=141.632 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=9 time=147.133 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=10 time=50.143 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=11 time=50.191 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=12 time=49.886 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=13 time=49.912 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=14 time=50.795 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=15 time=51.293 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=16 time=50.511 ms
64 bytes rcvd: seq=17 time=101.779 ms
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.--V


Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs


~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~
Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM Tex Arcana is offline  
Reply With Quote
#26  

JPF_
 
JPF_'s Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Arcana View Post
And so it begins... the new "net neutrality" rules go into effect, and the companies start with bandwidth limits, site lockouts, and throttling.

Next thing you know, they'll force-feed their content into our brains, and cut off forum posti[snip]

WE'RE SORRY, THIS POST VIOLATES AT&T'S TERMS OF SERVICE (TOS), THIS USER HAS BEEN DETAINED FOR FURTHER EVALUATION AND REINTEGRATION/REEDUCATION; AND THIS FORM HAS BEEN TARGETED FOR TAKEDOWN BY THE MPAARIAAHSCIANSA JOINT THOUGHTPOLICE FORCE, ALL USERS WILL BE DETAINED AND REEDUCATED AS WELL. REMAIN IN YOUR HOMES, CIVIL PROTECTION WILL BE THERE SHORTLY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ofWFx525s


Youtube sucks balls.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:22 PM JPF_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
#27  

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.