General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Topsirloin
I'm a closed minded ass with a fuck up for a brother. I should kill myself.

Tasers. Use and Abuse.

I want to start a dialogue on tasers, for some reason I'm really passionate about this topic, and I've been encountering a lot of fucking coneheads in my travels. I live in Canada but I'm familiar with the US cases as well, let's talk.

Prime cases:
UCLA Case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCLA_Taser_incident
-Iranian Student tasered after refusing to present School ID and leave the library after failing to identify himself. Non-fatal. Ongoing lawsuit.

Robert Dziekański: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...Taser_incident
-Angry Polish man in Vancouver, BC airport, cannot speak english, becomes violent and is tasered by officers, dies later.

U of Florida Case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...Taser_incident
-Now famous case, "don't tase me bro," student agrees officers were just doing their jobs after his outburst and violence, most likely staged

Utah Traffic Stop Case: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NH_qVJfaYZA
-Man refuses to comply with officer, approaches officer and then refuses to cooperate.

The hype: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...s.html?ref=rss
-Taser use has gone up after more tasers are issued Taser use defined as including "drawing, or threatening to use taser"

I think this is . The media is hyping tasers like crazy. They use headlines like "300 taser related deaths in Canada" and then at the end of the article they mention that oh yeah, that just means tasers were present during 300 deaths, and of those 300, 12 MIGHT have actually been attributed to the taser, but only partially.

Lets talk tasers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag

tasers are too often used by police as a 'male enhancement' because they are hell bent on exercising their authority and being respected/feared. more patience and intelligent, non violent tactics would be nice but id never expect such from people who were picked on in high school.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

I tried this last year, and the stupids came out to play, so don't expect much this time.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=764353

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET

Topsirloin
I'm a closed minded ass with a fuck up for a brother. I should kill myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Greg View Post
I tried this last year, and the stupids came out to play, so don't expect much this time.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=764353

I was hoping that the "FUCK DA POLICE DIE PIGS DIE" crowd would stay away

Tom Kazansky
911 Was an Inside Job. Bush is traitor like Prescott Bush

Don't tase me, bro!

UID=growler

The whole "taser" thing was sensationalized by the internet "media", and by that I mean digg/forums/bloggers.

I like how the very same people who criticize the media for sensationalizing stories, do the very same thing themselves in order to get e-fame or a front page digg article.

wingedbuttmonkey

I wish cops used tasers more. Especially on the fucks who say cops use them too much.

Doctor Octagon
I must construct additional pylons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsirloin View Post
Utah Traffic Stop Case: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NH_qVJfaYZA
-Man refuses to comply with officer, approaches officer and then refuses to cooperate.

The officer in this video was completely justified in his use of the taser. The man refused to comply with the most basic demands of the officer (signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt), took a hostile attitude, and then proceeded to return to his truck. Anytime a suspect returns to his vehicle it is an automatic red flag that immediate action must be taken.

I have witnessed police cam video of officers allowing agitated suspects to return to their vehicles. Unfortunately, in one particularly gruesome video, the suspect, against the demands of a calm and polite officer, returned to his truck after a routine traffic stop and pulled out an automatic rifle from beneath a seat. The suspect opened fire on the officer and wounded him behind his police cruiser; the officer was able to return fire, but was overwhelmed. The suspect then walked over to the officer and proceeded to methodically shoot him in both legs and both arms; in essence pinning him to the ground helplessly. The screams of the officer, the heavy breathing recorded through the microphone, and the merciless actions of the shooter were heart-wrenching. The suspect returned to his truck once more, either to reload or flee I have forgotten, but at the last moment decided to turn back to the officer. He raised his gun, aiming from a distance away and, ignoring the cries and begging of the wounded officer, proceeded to shoot him directly in the face.

I will never forget that.

Ryuuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
I wish cops used tasers more. Especially on the fucks who say cops use them too much.

I like the old ways cops dealt with un-cooperative people....club or shoot them.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
Anytime a suspect returns to his vehicle it is an automatic red flag that immediate action must be taken.
Pain compliance is neither authorized by law nor appropriate "action" to be taken.

Quote:
He raised his gun, aiming from a distance away and, ignoring the cries and begging of the wounded officer, proceeded to shoot him directly in the face.
Therefore, it is perfectly okay to treat everyone you encounter as brutally as if he's about to unload an automatic rifle into your face.

MrMaN383
Asshole Licking Douchebag

Quote:
The officer in this video was completely justified in his use of the taser.

it probably could have been avoided if the cop was more inclined to talk the guy into signing the ticket and fighting it in court than getting him out of the car and respecting his authoritah. he could have attempted explaining that fact (signing isnt an admission of guilt, you fight this in court not on the highway) again in a calm, polite tone and seeing if the guy calmed down and agreed. i know i know, automatic gun fire and 'but he doesnt havvvvvve tooooo'.

Doctor Octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
Therefore, it is perfectly okay to treat everyone you encounter as brutally as if he's about to unload an automatic rifle into your face.

This is how police officers must approach every situation until proven otherwise.

cromicus
I act tough on genmay, but real life im a pussy

Quote:
This is how police officers must approach every situation until proven otherwise.
Yeah, it even says so in the consitution.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:

land of the free

Doctor Octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromicus View Post
Yeah, it even says so in the consitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
land of the free

Legally, yes, but that's never how the real world works. Our criminal justice system is not fair and balanced; it's adversarial. When the police stick their nose in your business it's never going to be fun -- get over it -- be polite, don't give them an attitude, and take your case to court. Let's be honest, the vast majority of people who end up in handcuffs probably aren't innocent. Regardless, the dash cam video is there to protect your rights as well as the officer's.

Officers are people, they are concerned for their safety and must always be on guard when approaching a situation. That's why they spotlight your car when you get pulled over, why they don't stand directly in front of a door when they knock on it, why they don't let you return to your car or get out of it at a traffic spot, and why when they question you it's like an interrogation -- the list goes on and on. The customs may vary in certain areas, but the basic consensus is there: the tactics police use are to protect their own lives and, subsequently, the lives of innocent civilians they may encounter.