General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
not having to pay sales tax is probably due to the type of business she runs, not just having a tax ID number.

I buy all our of stuff from CDW now because they have a local warehouse and we can pay sales tax instead of having to pay quarterly (or maybe it's yearly, I don't know) use tax.

She has to charge tax on the new items she sells (which she buys tax free), just not the consigned stuff. Of course, state tax laws are probably more complicated than this simple example.

4/7/2009 mathlete became Dr. mathlete

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

churchoftehpoisonmind
pwned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emx599 View Post
Here in Texas they have even changed the sales tax on used cars. A few years ago you could go to the DMV and tell them you paid less than you did and they would charge you a tax based on the number you gave them. Too many idiots told them the car was worth $1. Now they look up the market value for your car and charge you tax on that. It doesnt matter if you bought a miata with a ruined soft top, ruined interior and a blow engine for $100. You are going to pay the taxes on what an average looking and running car for that year goes for. Even if a parent "sells" their car to their kid for $1 just so they can have it in their name they pay the taxes for what the car would be sold for normally. Total BS if you ask me.

in nevada/las vegas you just "gift" the car to family members to avoid the illegal tax penalty

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchoftehpoisonmind View Post
in nevada/las vegas you just "gift" the car to family members to avoid the illegal tax penalty

Well, you can do that in Texas too, but there is still something like a $40 tax on it for gifts... and a limit to how many you can gift and things like that.

PopeKevinI

Quote:
Originally Posted by emx599 View Post
Here in Texas they have even changed the sales tax on used cars. A few years ago you could go to the DMV and tell them you paid less than you did and they would charge you a tax based on the number you gave them. Too many idiots told them the car was worth $1. Now they look up the market value for your car and charge you tax on that. It doesnt matter if you bought a miata with a ruined soft top, ruined interior and a blow engine for $100. You are going to pay the taxes on what an average looking and running car for that year goes for. Even if a parent "sells" their car to their kid for $1 just so they can have it in their name they pay the taxes for what the car would be sold for normally. Total BS if you ask me.

You can challenge it, you know. Take a few pictures of the car with you and when they try to tax you for an $8,000 car when it's only worth $1,000, tell them they're wrong and you can prove it.

deltabourne
Mike27 is my bestest friend in the whole wide world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristchan View Post
With cars, I don't think that's a valid argument. So long as the car is running, it's using the streets, those need to be maintained. If you're telling the government that you paid $1 for your car, then whining about potholes, you're going on my face punching spree list.

As for everything else, meh... I try not to worry about the stuff I can't change.
The only money the government "makes" is on taxes. So they're going to get it where ever they can. I'm not going to cry over the $1.07 I give to the government on my consignment store purchace. It's a losing battle.

This argument makes no sense. Take two identical cars that sell for $10,000. Car A is sold once and the owner pays $1,000 in taxes and keeps the car for its entire life. Car B is sold once ($1,000 tax) then sold again for $5,000 ($500 tax) and then again for $1500 ($150) tax. The state collects $1,000 from Car A and $1650 from Car B. Are you telling me that Car A used $650 less in taxes just because it had two less owners, even though it was driven the same exact amount?

Also, the reasoning falls apart for items like golf clubs or books. What services does the state provide for those?

Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer came down upon her head
Bang bang Maxwell's Silver Hammer made sure that she was dead

Talenos

You also don't pay tax when you are buying something to resell as well. When we buy batteries and stuff at Sam's club that we sell to people, we don't pay tax on them.

Mr. Greg
I'm obsessed with DHermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by illig View Post
What's NFA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

Machine Guns/Short-Barreled Rifles/Short-Barreled Shotguns/Suppressors: $200
Any Other Weapon (Cane guns, zip guns, etc): $5

Louis Potgieter (1951-1996) NEVER FORGET