General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > The Pit
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

wingedbuttmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuHo View Post
First you go on ranting how mindbogglingly this changes things, then you go on saying it didn't change your opinion one bit. You went from not caring to not caring.

I never said this mindboggling changes things. The only reason I posted this in the pit was because I thought other people might be interested. I figured I would side with the artist so I debated as such. I really don't care about the dog, the artist, his cause, or the people who bitch about it. I was trying to get some sort of decent debate going, but apparently I misplaced my trust in the pit.

I think I'll leave the pit for awhile. It's pretty fucking retarded anyway.

omg victory for you! rite?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedbuttmonkey View Post
I never said this mindboggling changes things. The only reason I posted this in the pit was because I thought other people might be interested. I figured I would side with the artist so I debated as such. I really don't care about the dog, the artist, his cause, or the people who bitch about it. I was trying to get some sort of decent debate going, but apparently I misplaced my trust in the pit.

I think I'll leave the pit for awhile. It's pretty fucking retarded anyway.

omg victory for you! rite?

You're the one that asked about what I said, and I replied, and I wasn't very insulting in doing that either (except for the second paragraph which obviously has other purposes). Don't start fucking crying about it...?

kyebosh

old news.

ry_goody

For all of you who dislike this exhibit. How many of you have fed a starving stray dog? Or better yet, how many of you regularly give coins to the homeless?

It's all good and fun to take a moral stance that feels superior when it's presented in a common topic by the media for you to openly present how good and humane and caring of life you are. But when your just alone, by yourself, with no one paying attention to your response, do you still present the same care for all of life?

and don't feel like you need to reply and justify yourself to me. I really don't care. Justify yourself to yourself.

I say this cause I get the underlying suspicion here that none of you really give a shit about the dog, humane issues or whatever. Just that your perturbed by the fact someone made money off such a thing as an art exhibit and you feel the need to break that down... cause making money shouldn't be attainable in such a simple and obvious way, unless its you getting the money.

and for all of you saying 'thats not art'... I haven't seen a painting provoke so much introspective reflective thought in a public populace from anything deemed 'real art' by traditional standards in a long long time... At what point in history did "art" become merely "something to be printed on posters, stamped on cds and sold at a decent price to be a luxurious commodity". IMO good art causes a stir, that is the very definition of it. If you want to see someone who can draw or paint beautiful ornate pictures, portraits, or whatever, go visit some digital art website, millions of people are painting amazing things digitally daily, this isn't anything groundbreaking these day. However, not many artists today are producing things that make people stop think, and reflect on the current state of existence just a little, this IMO is entirely more diffucult to do, even if the creation of such an effect is incredibly simple... In fact the simplicity of the whole thing adds a whole new layer of metaphorical meaning to it.

Last edited by ry_goody; 04-27-2008 at 11:31 PM..

Rang3find3r
sabercat tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorlock View Post
Hey you are just one dipshit.

You should be chained in a museum and starved to death

If global awareness and action can be raised through the sacrifice of one pathetic dipshit, I'm all for it.

you're a stupid fucking angry dumbshit, why do you even bother posting? jesus mother fucking donkey christ wow

TheMorlock
Contrary to my previous title I never fucked Inf's mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang3find3r View Post
you're a stupid fucking angry dumbshit, why do you even bother posting? jesus mother fucking donkey christ wow

How hard did you have to try to own yourself so badly?

möbiustrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
In the US, we don't let animals die in the streets of starvation. At worst, they are picked up by animal control, taken care of for at least a while, and if no home is found, they are euthanized.
Feral cats die of starvation all the time. We do the best we can, but it's still not a moral priority. To suggest "we don't let" cute animals die is silly Disney whitewashing. "We" dump unwanted [declawed, intact] pets for a new lease.

That's not to say there aren't exceptional efforts by animal lovers -- there's a dog-adoption "underground railroad" up the entire east coast. But I would hesitate to say our animal love:cruelty ratio compared to Nicaragua mirrors the relative GDP.

Quote:
I think it's also a false choice to assume we must commit acts of cruelty in order to draw the necessary attention to a particular problem.
It certainly is. That said, how many rich Westerners frothing at the mouth will do anything to help South American dogs?

mathlete
I'm the cheapest person on this planet, maybe the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by möbiustrip View Post
Feral cats die of starvation all the time. We do the best we can, but it's still not a moral priority. To suggest "we don't let" cute animals die is silly Disney whitewashing. "We" dump unwanted [declawed, intact] pets for a new lease.

That's not to say there aren't exceptional efforts by animal lovers -- there's a dog-adoption "underground railroad" up the entire east coast. But I would hesitate to say our animal love:cruelty ratio compared to Nicaragua mirrors the relative GDP.

It certainly is. That said, how many rich Westerners frothing at the mouth will do anything to help South American dogs?

Of course it happens sometimes, but we have the means in place to try to prevent it as much as possible. My point was that there is little to draw attention to from our perspective, except perhaps the plight of South American dogs as you point out. But considering there are people dying of starvation in the world, I'd suggest our efforts are best used elsewhere.

UID=growler

Don't people eat dogs at some parts of the world? I know horses are eaten in Mongolia at least, yet that would be considered unethical in the US. Most people would like for rats living in the streets to die, but if it is a dog then we say there is a problem in society? Are dogs more deserving of life because they make good pets?

As mathelete said, people are starving, but we are more concerned with dogs. The truth is I think more people ARE more concerned about a cute little dog dying than some black person in Africa.

On a somewhat related note do you know how to make a villain really look evil in a movie? Have him kill a cat or a dog, everyone in the theater will cringe or gasp, even though they were not phased a bit by the 50 people who were just killed a minute earlier.

Straw Man
RuHo
And my head I'd be scratchin' while my thoughts were busy hatchin; If I only had a brain......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry_goody View Post
For all of you who dislike this exhibit. How many of you have fed a starving stray dog? Or better yet, how many of you regularly give coins to the homeless?

It's all good and fun to take a moral stance that feels superior when it's presented in a common topic by the media for you to openly present how good and humane and caring of life you are. But when your just alone, by yourself, with no one paying attention to your response, do you still present the same care for all of life?

and don't feel like you need to reply and justify yourself to me. I really don't care. Justify yourself to yourself.

I say this cause I get the underlying suspicion here that none of you really give a shit about the dog, humane issues or whatever. Just that your perturbed by the fact someone made money off such a thing as an art exhibit and you feel the need to break that down... cause making money shouldn't be attainable in such a simple and obvious way, unless its you getting the money.

and for all of you saying 'thats not art'... I haven't seen a painting provoke so much introspective reflective thought in a public populace from anything deemed 'real art' by traditional standards in a long long time... At what point in history did "art" become merely "something to be printed on posters, stamped on cds and sold at a decent price to be a luxurious commodity". IMO good art causes a stir, that is the very definition of it. If you want to see someone who can draw or paint beautiful ornate pictures, portraits, or whatever, go visit some digital art website, millions of people are painting amazing things digitally daily, this isn't anything groundbreaking these day. However, not many artists today are producing things that make people stop think, and reflect on the current state of existence just a little, this IMO is entirely more diffucult to do, even if the creation of such an effect is incredibly simple... In fact the simplicity of the whole thing adds a whole new layer of metaphorical meaning to it.
You are by all means, free to violate the fucking cesspool that is yourself. Be that art or whatever.

Straw Man
RuHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UID=30151 View Post
Don't people eat dogs at some parts of the world? I know horses are eaten in Mongolia at least, yet that would be considered unethical in the US. Most people would like for rats living in the streets to die, but if it is a dog then we say there is a problem in society? Are dogs more deserving of life because they make good pets?

As mathelete said, people are starving, but we are more concerned with dogs. The truth is I think more people ARE more concerned about a cute little dog dying than some black person in Africa.

On a somewhat related note do you know how to make a villain really look evil in a movie? Have him kill a cat or a dog, everyone in the theater will cringe or gasp, even though they were not phased a bit by the 50 people who were just killed a minute earlier.
Horse is eaten in europe too. AFAIK it's not a very common thing but yeah.

While I see your point and actually agree with it, the biggest reason for sympathy towards stray dogs/cats and such, at least for me is they're there solely because of negligence. Rats are pests. There isn't a rat problem because people took rats as pets and decided to fuck it up. Not that it isn't a cumulative problem and all, but that's the case in the western world for the most part. I guess you could call it useless suffering, as opposed to rats.

red|dragon

bunch of morans