General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

Potty Mouth

How to advertise IT consulting firm?

After trying to find a job in the IT field working for another company, I've decided to give up. Everything I apply for I either dont get the interview, or I'm told after several interviews, that I'm over qualified.

I've been an IT consultant part time for the last 10 years. ALL of my work has been through word of mouth and I have never been able to get work any other way.

I've tried mailings, personalized letters to business managers, post cards, cold calling, you name it- and nothing. But word of mouth has seemed to produce enough work to give me at least one project every few months... that's not paying the bills anymore.

I'm out of ideas. What would you guys suggest?
the mushrooms pictured in badger and mario brothers are actually a. muscaria and not psilocybin. amanitas muscaria is especially neat because you can drink your own urine and keep getting high... -Sanjay

67c6a1e7ce56d3d6fa748ab6d9af3fd7

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Scatman

-- Local networking events.
-- Going to any kind of tech related conferences, even things like PAX, big LAN parties, etc.

I think you're wise enough to see that in rough economic times, external/contracted consultants are the first item put on the company budget chopping block.

Did you ever think about teaching, like an adjunct professor gig somewhere?

"I'm gonna be rich and famous one day when I invent
a device that can be used to stab someone in the
face over the Internet."

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Mouth View Post
After trying to find a job in the IT field working for another company, I've decided to give up. Everything I apply for I either dont get the interview, or I'm told after several interviews, that I'm over qualified.

I've been an IT consultant part time for the last 10 years. ALL of my work has been through word of mouth and I have never been able to get work any other way.

I've tried mailings, personalized letters to business managers, post cards, cold calling, you name it- and nothing. But word of mouth has seemed to produce enough work to give me at least one project every few months... that's not paying the bills anymore.

I'm out of ideas. What would you guys suggest?

What is on your mailers?
You need to highlight and focus on things your target will understand and want.

What sort of "consulting" are you looking for?

Intuitiv

One thing I have experienced is that a lot of companies HAVE jobs open, but are just kind of digging in until the economy is less stressful and feel they are better off just not hiring right now. One of the implications I have found due to this is that if you know someone who knows someone, then you have a much better chance of getting a glance rather than if you are a John Doe to the company. Call up any references you have from your past part time consulting, and network network network.

Also, if you post an edited resume (without your name and stuff) I can guarentee you that a million Genmayers are willing to give you their opinion and "help you out"

Potty Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangmonkey View Post
What is on your mailers?
You need to highlight and focus on things your target will understand and want.

What sort of "consulting" are you looking for?

What I do is go into small to medium size insurance offices, evaluate their technology, make recommendations, and then implement and offer ongoing support.

My average gig involves a company who does not employ a real IT person. After time, their environment gets trashed. Blank passwords, no backups, things hacked together.

Sometimes they get audited, then I get a referal to go in an straighten them out. Sometimes, thats just making suggestions, sometimes its replacing an entire network- servers, workstations, web systems, etc.

I've been writing directly to business managers simply introducing myself, then with a sentence or two about what I do, then following up with enclosing a business card.

I was thinking about attending BarCamps too in an effort to network, etc.

I've kinda given up on my resume, and finding a normal 9-5 job anyway. I work better on my own anyway.

In the past, I had post card type mailers that just listed "Services". It was kinda generic and didnt really say how they could benefit from it. I think they letters focus more on how I can help their organization. I try not to make a hard sell, but rather put it out there who I am and what I'm doing.

Either way, it's not working out all that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman View Post

Did you ever think about teaching, like an adjunct professor gig somewhere?

No, not really. I dont consider myself to be all that knowledgable in any one area that would qualifiy me to teach anything!
the mushrooms pictured in badger and mario brothers are actually a. muscaria and not psilocybin. amanitas muscaria is especially neat because you can drink your own urine and keep getting high... -Sanjay

67c6a1e7ce56d3d6fa748ab6d9af3fd7

Zangmonkey
3y3 4m t3h Gr4et gr4nD m0th4rfUxing mor4n! W4t<h //\y b33f kur+4nz F|4p!!# 4y4m 1e37!

I've had pretty good luck working with the "How much does it cost you if your business is down for a day?" line.

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Maybe this is a little late to help you, but I was just thinking about this the other day. I had this idea about using social networking to drum up sales. What do you think? Maybe use twitter and use the social proof of "Hey all these people think I'm legit, why not give me a shot?" You know, something like that.

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

JPF_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes View Post
Maybe this is a little late to help you, but I was just thinking about this the other day. I had this idea about using social networking to drum up sales. What do you think? Maybe use twitter and use the social proof of "Hey all these people think I'm legit, why not give me a shot?" You know, something like that.

lulz