General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Genmay schools us on droids?

Wife and I just got HTC Inspire s running droid 2.2.1.

The guys at the store got us lined up with Advanced Task Killer Free, and turned us loose. We were tight on time, and so was the store, it looked like.

What other must have applications are there, and what do we need to know, about the basics of our new phones?

For example; How do we know if we're using wifi or data? I successfully added our wireless router on both phones and I see the wifi symbol on the top of the phone, so I think we're using wifi at the moment for example. Does it always choose wifi over data whenever it has the option? Will that symbol change when we're using data? What should our sync/background sync, etc etc settings be, so that we only access data when we mean to and not have it suck up data automatically when we're not trying to use it?

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

wigglesworth

these are not the droids you are looking for:

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

if you press menu at the home screen and go to settings, there is an option to change sync settings.

Kahnza
Screw you guys, I'm going home!

Other than that I would just go to market.android.com and browse around. Don't forget to setup an account and link it to your phone.

?psalus
Apsalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglesworth View Post

Did you really just troll a thread?

XJumper84
Father of the Crate Face, Keeper of the Crate Face

add the power connect widget to one of your screens its on your phone already

long press on the screen -> widgets -> look for the power connect or something like that. and add it to your screen. it'll help you cover those bases that you're asking about.

zerokewl

Task killers are really, really not necessary anymore, and running a background task that frees up background tasks is a bit redundant.

The things I live by on my phone are :ADW Launcher EX, Logmein Ignition (you have to "pay" for it...) Zedge for wallpapers.

If you link your phone to a wifi connection it will always use it when it picks up on it, and always swtich back to 3G when the signal gets too weak.

Coqui

The widgets I have on my main screen:

4G
Bluetooth
GPS
Wi-Fi
Sync All (I don't auto-sync to conserve battery)
Manage Applications (To close applications K doesn't do)
Advanced Task Killer (the widget not the app, for one touch closing)
Battery
Hotspot
Airplane mode (to turn off radio in the sealed buildings I go into since I don't have reception in them anyways

Also I disabled wi-fi sleep mode

Using these I average 3 days before charging on an Evo and that includes game play and facebook regularly on them.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokewl View Post
Task killers are really, really not necessary anymore, and running a background task that frees up background tasks is a bit redundant.

Which is why I don't keep it open, I just have the application run when I want to kill apps.

Coqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglesworth View Post

I have both an Android and an iPhone. While there are some things, the iPhone is clearly better at, I'd still prefer the Android device over the iPhone.

sun_ofa_beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
I have both an Android and an iPhone. While there are some things, the iPhone is clearly better at, I'd still prefer the Android device over the iPhone.

What are those things? I have used both types of devices and I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions.

March 1st 07 - Dweeb transformed to Balladom <3

Tex Arcana
I am a mean disrespectful person hiding anonymously and need an attitude adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsalus View Post
Did you really just troll a thread?

IPwn pwns * [/troll]

Edit: OP: or

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call destiny.
--John Hobbs

~~~ ~~~ Tea[m] Pyratex ~~~ ~~~

Caelum

My tracks is pretty great if you travel or run or whatever. GPS recorder, speed, height change. Great app.
Subsonic
Pandora
TuneIn radio
Kindle
Ustream
MyCars (mileage and shit)
Metal Detector is pretty neat...
Wordfued (like words with friends)
Ringdroid
Home Switcher if you start changing your droid overlay
And of course, Angry Birds

Your 3g icon will change when you go on Wifi. It wont have any words next to it and will look like a vertical signal bar instead of a "3g" with a horizontal signal bar.

You can long press pretty much everywhere and it brings up another menu. You can hit the "alt" button or whatever you want to call it and bring up more stuff almost all the time as well.

Inside advanced task killer you can "alt" click and bring up a menu and you can change the severity of what it kills and you can setup autokill where it will kill all the running services as well as bull shit apps just start themselves every 30 minutes. If you turn it to low security it will let you see way more shit thats running inside the OS and other than one thing, you can kill it all, all the time. The one you dont want to kill is the overlay. Its like killing explorer.exe in the task manage and it will all restart within a moment but its silly to kill it.
I have a Droid 1 so it gets bogged down a lot so doing this really is a necessity for me.

If your phone gets real slow, restart it and immediately kill all the fluff apps that start with the phone. Fucking amazon mp3. Fuck you amazon mp3. On the newer phones its blockbuster and whatever else.

There was a program I got rid off that would autokill stuff on startup but then it was itself a constant running program so I got rid of it.

Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Running tab "Dialer Storage" is your text message data. If you start running out of room and think it may be your texts, look here and you can see how big they all are.

Not sure on newer phones, but my phone defaults to install everything on the phone and I have to manually move all my apps to the sdcard via the "manage applications" menu

RedEyes
Boner Provider

Thanks guys getting some good advice here. Got a stupid question for you. What is the "h+" symbol with up/down line when I'm connecting and a check mark when I'm connected?

I think I follow where to find the sync settings. But... having them turned off means you have to go into settings to sync them each time? That seems to be a bit out of the way. What should I set them to in order to do what?

We will make contact with this frequency every twelve hours. Prepare sitrep for command authority. Have hope. We're coming for you.

Disarm

You are absolutely clueless about everything. I wonder if you are able to even wipe your own ass.