General [M]ayhem

Go Back   General [M]ayhem > Real Time Sub-Forums > CompuGlobalHyperMegaNet
Register Members List Mark Forums Read [M]erchandise Calendar

pepperochini

Looking to snag a laptop this weekend: durability of MSI notebooks?

I can get this for 600 now, but I wanted to see what you guys think of MSI laptops? Are they any good for consumer grade ? Its the only one in the price range that has usb3.0. Only Cons I see is 4 hr battery. wish it was 6

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...Computer-With/

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_prod...x?cid=9&id=304

Quote:
CPU
Type Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor
Speed 2.3 ~ 2.9 GHz
Cache 3MB
OPERATING SYSTEM
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit
COLOR
Color Black
LCD
Size 15.6" HD Glossy
Resolution 1366 x 768 (16:9)
CHIPSET
Chipset Intel® HM65
GRAPHICS
GPU Intel® HD 3000 Graphic
Video Memory Share System Memory
AUDIO
Audio HD Audio
Speaker Internal Speaker x 2 (2W x 2)
SYSTEM MEMORY
Spec 4GB DDR3
HDD
HDD Capacity 500 GB
HDD Interface SATA
OPTICAL DRIVE
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
COMMUNICATION
LAN Giga LAN 10/100/1000
WLAN Built-in 802.11b/g/n WLAN Card
SUPPLEMENTAL DRIVE
Card Reader 7-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/HG)
WEBCAM RESOLUTION
Webcam 1.3 MP Webcam
I/O PORT
USB USB2.0 X 2, USB3.0 X 2
ESATA N/A
ESATA/USB Combo N/A
Video Port VGA (15-pin, D-Sub) X 1, HDMI X 1
Audio Port Mic-in X 1, Headphone X 1
Express Card N/A

Last edited by pepperochini; 05-24-2011 at 03:37 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Glory Hallelujah

My last laptop was an MSI from a couple years back. Functionally it was awesome and it held up great for about a year. The screen was held down by a strong magnet so I found it needed quite a bit of force to open which caused stress on the thin plastic surrounding the screen. The plastics around the screen in the bottom left and right started to crack about a year in and eventually some bits broke off near the hinges. With them gone, the hinges started to fuck me around a bunch. It's hard to describe. If you wait a few days I'll take some pics when I'm back in town.

Oh, and eventually the charging port went to shit so I couldn't charge it anymore. It had a hard life but I think it should have lasted longer than it did. Great laptop, nice screen, lots of power, awesome speakers, but pretty shitty durability.

pepperochini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory Hallelujah View Post
My last laptop was an MSI from a couple years back. Functionally it was awesome and it held up great for about a year. The screen was held down by a strong magnet so I found it needed quite a bit of force to open which caused stress on the thin plastic surrounding the screen. The plastics around the screen in the bottom left and right started to crack about a year in and eventually some bits broke off near the hinges. With them gone, the hinges started to fuck me around a bunch. It's hard to describe. If you wait a few days I'll take some pics when I'm back in town.

Oh, and eventually the charging port went to shit so I couldn't charge it anymore. It had a hard life but I think it should have lasted longer than it did. Great laptop, nice screen, lots of power, awesome speakers, but pretty shitty durability.

this was my main fear of asus/acer/msi laptops. build quality is shit, but everything else looks good. :/

Saxman924

I think there is a slickdeal posted for a 15 inch t series for 680. This would be infinitely better.

WILLIAM NOT
theLiberator
"I hate my hair in these anigifs, I'm glad I'm shooting myself in the head in at least one of them f

I have an MSI GX640. So far it's holding up really well. My only real complaint is that the customer service is slightly meh about getting around to closing up your case, but I'd say it's still above average.

There's also more leeway with modifications than companies like HP and ASUS (afaik they have warranty stickers on most of the internals). You can replace GPUs, CPUs, etc. without breaking warranty. However, to have them pay for you new GPU, you have to send the whole laptop in.

Major: Physics, Minor: Chemistry, Life: Non-existant

pepperochini

(deal was canceled :/)

Last edited by pepperochini; 05-26-2011 at 05:02 AM..

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Dell laptops are for cheap businesses.

KorruptioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T_h4x0r_d00d View Post
Dell laptops are for cheap businesses.

Dell Latitudes are not cheap.

MeXPuNk3r

Free Xbox if you are a student and buy a PC $699 and up :

http://www.pcworld.com/article/22841..._purchase.html

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorruptioN View Post
Dell Latitudes are not cheap.

I've been supporting the latitude line for 10 years. They're full of fuck. I'm typing this on a E6500.

pepperochini

Quote:
I've been supporting the latitude line for 10 years. They're full of fuck. I'm typing this on a E6500.

Fuk it, if I don't find a comParable lenovo, I'll pull the trigga' on msi.

Glory Hallelujah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperochini View Post

Hang tough till I get back in the city tomorrow. I'll post up the pics of my laptop which might change your mind.

L33T_h4x0r_d00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperochini View Post

I recently purchased 200 lenovo desktops for my office. I noticed right off the bat that they dont come stuffed to the gills with demos and first-month-free use shitware. They boot up to a "lenovo advisor" which gives you the option of installing a couple of things but when you tell it to fuckoff and never load again, it does. All of the apps that are in the advisor are not installed yet. It basically links you to the installer which means when you disable the advisor you have a 99% clean windows install.

I was pleasantly surprised by that. I opened a couple of the boxes up and havent found a hitachi or fujitsu drive yet. I'm a pretty heavy supporter of lenovo desktops now.

:ninja:
My cooter sweats, and reeks like rotting sea vermon.

Quote:
I recently purchased 200 lenovo desktops for my office. I noticed right off the bat that they dont come stuffed to the gills with demos and first-month-free use shitware. They boot up to a "lenovo advisor" which gives you the option of installing a couple of things but when you tell it to fuckoff and never load again, it does. All of the apps that are in the advisor are not installed yet. It basically links you to the installer which means when you disable the advisor you have a 99% clean windows install.

I was pleasantly surprised by that. I opened a couple of the boxes up and havent found a hitachi or fujitsu drive yet. I'm a pretty heavy supporter of lenovo desktops now.

Hitachi drives are pretty common in Lenovo laptops. I've got one in my T420. Hitachi drives still have fucked up APM settings which causes the load cycle count to go through the roof. At its current rate I will be lucky to get one year out of this drive. Lucky for me it's getting replaced by a solid state drive shortly, plus an mSATA drive for double pwnage

Glory Hallelujah

Alright peep this. These are all iphone pics so excuse the suck.

So she's pretty solid outside

But once you check the hinges on it you see that the plastic has cracked off around them on both sides.

Which leads to the case on the backside of the screen lifting up behind the right hinge

You can just push it back down with a squeeze, but it speaks to the build quality of the laptops.

So like I said, it's a great laptop as far as value and quality internal components goes. Never gave me any shit and didn't come preloaded with ten tons of . That being said, build quality is shit. I'm currently rocking a newer Toshiba laptop which is much better made but had about 2gb of stupid shit loaded on it when it came. I had to spend the first couple hours of owning it making it half-ass functional. I guess that's the trade off.